1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen one?
I know they used to make them but I have yet to see one. I've seen few in 38 Super but none in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know somebody will). Colt made both series 70 and 80 9mm Commanders. Don't know about commercials. Production ended in 92, I think because high cap 9mm's were the "cats ass" at the time the 9's weren't sellin. Suppliers really discounted 'em then. I took a pass on a new one for $300. Who knew?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes.About seven years ago a co-worker offered a mint cond. combat commander in 9mm to Me for $300.00.I'm still kicking Myself for not buying it!tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I just sold a LW Commander made in 1956, it was 9mm, thats why I sold it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok...I will show my ignorance here...What is the difference between the Combat Commander and the LW Commander...We just bought a LW Commander in 9mm for my wife...Its pretty nice...from what I can tell...she doens't let me touch it much.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Bronco, The Combat Commander is a steel frame gun and the LW Commander is an aluminum framed gun. The LW is a little lighter to carry.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,394 Posts
I've never seen so many 9 and Super Commanders as I saw on Saturday at the NRA gun show in Puyallup, WA. I would say at least half the older Commanders that caught my attention were 9 or Super. Also saw a XSE Combat Commander, and both blue and stainless Gold Cup Commanders (those were .45's).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I still kick myself for not buying a Colt Commander in 9mm Luger when dealers were blowing them out in 1992-93. As stated above, prices plunged around that time because Colt could not sell them due to the popularity of the double-stack nines. The 9mm Commanders were discontinued and became unwanted step-children. Colt should bring this one back, but I doubt it would do any better now, saleswise, because of the stiff competition from the Glock 19 and other such pistols. Yes, one can now buy a full-sized 1911 in 9mm from Kimber or Springfield, but nothing (in the 1911 universe) works better for me than the Commander. I have toyed with the idea of having one built for me, but the Hi-Power really answers my needs better in terms of size and fit as a platform for the 9mm cartridge.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Series 70 Colt Combat Commander I purchased for $80 - box, original material and 200 rounds! One of my friends father passed away and his widow had no use for it so she sold it to me for whatever money I had in my pocket. When I emptied my pockets all I had was $80 and some change. She said 'sold' and I left with a practically new Combat Commander. When I purchased the gun it had been fired only 50 times, cleaned and stored away. Nice gun but 9mm isn't my thing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a series 70 Combat Commander that I paid $450.0 for. The ones that I've seen offered for sale in the same condition as mine have been going for over $1,000.00.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
If you want a 9mm Commander all you have to do is buy a new Colt XSE Commander in .38 Super and drop a 9mm barrel into it. I did that for a friend of mine who doesn't reload so they could shoot at 1/2 the price of shooting Super. Gun has never failed to cycle with the 9mm... Now they have a 4 caliber gun as it will also cycle 9x23 Winchester and 9mm Largo.

Bob

1 - 20 of 59 Posts