1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 9mm but I do not like Glocks and I don't want to pay the big bucks for an HK. So...I've had my eye on the some-what obscure IWI (Israeli made) Jericho 941 otherwise known as the "Baby Eagle" *cringe*.

I've always liked the look of this gun and have heard its a fun and accurate gun, although on the heavy side. I like metal guns anyway so thats not a big deal for me.

My main use would be as a plinking gun.

Whats the most you would pay for a used one in good condition?

Anybody own one or fired one? Impressions? Let me know if this is a good idea or to run away and find another gun to fixate on.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Impressions?

It's another CZ Clone with a full length dustcover and slide without lightening cuts, all manufactured to make it "look" like the Desert Eagle. The heavier slide and frame does make it a soft shooter even for a 9mm and it has standard CZ-esque ergonomics.

I dislike the slide mounted safety on the models being offered over here. They are as I said very heavily built guns and the manual safety is my own personal issue.

How much for one used? Four, four-fifty? They aren't expensive guns when you're buying new to begin with. (5-600 is what I've seen them go for NIB).

·
Registered
726 Posts
My brother has one that I've got to fire. It's a sweet shooter. I probably wouldn't pay much more than $400 for a used one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The wife and I have shot a few thousand rounds behind some CZ 75 variants namely the P-01 and P-07. It is a good solid design. It is said that even Jeff Cooper - a guy who added much to the 1911 legacy - liked the CZ 75 design so well that it was copied it into the Bren Ten pistol concept.

This Jericho 941 should be a nice gun to have, a good gun to own, and a great gun to shoot.

As for the price, I would compare it to your locally available CZ 75B, Tanfoglio, and EAA Witness. In general they are very similar to the Jericho. Around my local a new CZ 75B sells for about $485. Since most people tend to keep them, I have no Idea about their used price.

I might add that according to Wikipedia the Jericho is built with parts made by Tanfoglio - which is perfectly fine - but it gives you an idea of how close these guns compare to one another.

If the price is right I recommend buying it. It will serve you well for recreational shooting and you might even find it worthy as an EDC. I am packing something very similar to it right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_941

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bren_Ten

You might check out this other forum about CZ clones that has a a few threads about the Jericho.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=27.0

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Another option if you like the profile but prefer a frame mounted safety would be the Canik Shark...also badged under the name Tri-Star they have the same profile but the standard CZ-type frame mounted safety. Also to their credit I have repeatedly been told that they accept CZ magazines and sights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine about 3 yeas ago, and it is the IWI version made in Israel. It is a well-built gun, fun to shoot.
Out of the box, the trigger is 3 1/4 lbs, and also a very smooth trigger.
For me it is the best "fitting" grip of all the guns I own, the ergonomics are just about perfect. Even my wife likes to shoot it a lot and her hands are on the small side.
I paid $500 (new)when I purchased it 3 years ago.

Hans

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've dealt with two of them, and neither one was reliable. Small sample obviously. but I can't imagine buying one when CZ75Bs are out there.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
If you like the feel of the compact Baby Eagle you might look into the CZ 75 Compact or PCR (difference is one has a standard safety and the other has a decocker) or once again Canik/Tri-star offers a compact model with an alloy frame where the 75 Compact is all steel. The grip angle, controls, and trigger will essentially be the same. I am not saying that you should not go with the Jericho...if that is what you truly want then I say go for it but I figured I would make you aware of other options built around the same system. There are EAA Witness Compacts but I unsure as to holster availability.

Some Caniks: they have models built to resemble the Jericho/Baby Eagle that ought to fit the same holsters. All forged steel (less the alloy models) they can use CZ magazines and sights. http://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns.html?manufacturer=3892

Some prices on new Jericho/Baby Eagles...is the one you are looking at one of the good ones with a frame mounted safety? http://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns.html?caliber=2906&manufacturer=2466 I've handled/shot those and liked them very much.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some prices on new Jericho/Baby Eagles...is the one you are looking at one of the good ones with a frame mounted safety?.
It seems the frame mounted safety was only on the older models and is kind of rare/sought after today. It the slide mounted one that much of a pain?

I'll probably take a drive tomorrow and go look at one in person that a local gunshop has.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
It seems the frame mounted safety was only on the older models and is kind of rare/sought after today. It the slide mounted one that much of a pain?

I'll probably take a drive tomorrow and go look at one in person that a local gunshop has.
For me they suck. I slingshot the slide and the safety impedes this. That said the slide-stop/release on the Jerichos is designed so that one may easily manipulate it. Personal preference and you may find that you truly enjoy the Jericho as is. I just wanted to let you know that there are other CZ clones out there that might suit your preference should slide mounted safeties not fit you or be your preference. For me it comes down to familiarity and fitting how I operate a gun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did get my hands on a new one, with the slide mounted safety.

I see how it could be a pain to slingshot because its something you have to remember where to grab it and limits where you can grab the slide...but I don't think that would bother me too much.

I was impressed by the comfortable grip and general quality of it. The trigger felt very smooth and light. But it is indeed heavy as advertised, it's pretty much just as heavy as any 1911. Which in some respects is good- I'm sure in 9mm it will have hardly any recoil.

I think I got the bug and its all but bought at this point.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My brother has the TriStar T-120, which is the same gun. I shoot it last week and loved it. It has nice balance, seems to be accurate, and reliable (from the times I've been with him shooting it).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I did get my hands on a new one, with the slide mounted safety.

I see how it could be a pain to slingshot because its something you have to remember where to grab it and limits where you can grab the slide...but I don't think that would bother me too much.

I was impressed by the comfortable grip and general quality of it. The trigger felt very smooth and light. But it is indeed heavy as advertised, it's pretty much just as heavy as any 1911. Which in some respects is good- I'm sure in 9mm it will have hardly any recoil.

I think I got the bug and its all but bought at this point.
The slide mounted safety would be my only concern but for use as a range gun - for the time being - I think you will be just fine.

You have picked a fun gun to shoot. I will guess that the Jericho has a similar balance and feel as the CZ SP-01. If you have access to YouTube, you may want the watch a video by Colion Noir titled "CZ 75 SP-01 Shooting Review: Where's the Recoil". I think it will give you an idea what you have in store for yourself. You will like it.:)

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
Check out the Canik 55 shark. Looks like Baby Eagle but safety is on the frame. Frame is alloy . I have one on lay away after reading how happy guys on the CZ forum have been with them

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
That is a nifty looking little bean flipper. :)
I keep hearing good things. I want a SP01 still but that Shark is high on my list as well. Still debating if I should go for the Shark or if I should jump on a like new G34 (seriously, the gun is freaky clean) for five even...high for a used Glock but it's damn nice and I've long wanted one. I can either do the Shark or put three and some change down and then pick it up after January first when my VA Disability check is deposited in my account.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me it is the best "fitting" grip of all the guns I own, the ergonomics are just about perfect. Even my wife likes to shoot it a lot and her hands are on the small side.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts