1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never here any discussion (good or bad) about Ruger handguns. I have a couple Ruger revolvers that are extemely durable and reliable. One is a Vaquero 45Colt and the other is a Single Six convertible. I know people with P-89's and P-90's that really like them. Another person I know carries a SP-101 daily. So what's the skinny on Rugers? Love them? Hate them? Don't care? What do you got?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I had a P95 "decock only" and while it was a great 9mm pistol, that thing was THICK!
Other than that it ws fine, these pistols are grat priced, and I dont think that they have to many problems with any common shootgin problems

·
Registered
271 Posts
I currently have a P89, GP100, MKII, Single-Six and a 10/22. I like the durability of them and they are reasonable priced. The GP100 is built like a tank and while I have not yet tried really heavy loads, the GP100 is supposed to be an extremely strong revolver and will handle them.

My P89 is currently my home defense pistol as I have the most shooting experience with it. About 200 rounds of Remington GS in 124gr has gone thru it with no failures. Ruger states in their manual that all of their P-series pistols (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP) will handle any known factory load according to US, SAMMI, NATO or the other major standards without any problem. That's a pretty strong statement to put into print.

My Single-Six is about 24 years old and it's still a fun revolver to shoot in both .22LR and .22WMR. My bull-barrel MKII is an excellent for a semi-auto .22 and is quite accurate (much more so than me!!). Just wish it was a litter easier to strip down.

The only original parts left in my 10/22 are the receiver and bolt. Everything else is aftermarket stuff and 3/4" groups at 50yds are becoming pretty commonplace now that things are getting broke in. All of my .22LR's will eat anything I buy for them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a GP100 too. I don't think there's a load on the planet that could hurt that thing. It's heavy duty, with an equally heavy trigger out the box.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I've got two of their .22 autos, they're great! I just bought a stainless Single Six combo to replace one I had years ago. I just can't figure out how a company that can make these great handguns and some wonderful rifles can put out such crappy center-fire pistols. They have the ergonomics of a brick and weigh too much!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Most Ruger firearms are solid performers, but generally fairly ho hum in the accuracy department in my experience. My first handgun was an old three screw Blackhawk in 357 mag, and that was an exception, because it was a tackdriver and had a wonderful trigger. Every Blackhawk I've owned since then, however, has been ho hum in the accuracy department, and the triggers aren't so hot, but then thats most companies these days w/ litigation concerns. Like I said, they tend to be solid performers, though. One thing Ruger DOES have is some of the best customer service in the industry, and some OTHER companies *cough*Beretta*cough* that I have TRIED to deal with recently could learn a thing or two from them. I'll take a solid mediocre gun froma company that will take care of me over some racier gun from a company who won't.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a GP100 the has a few thousand rounds threw it.
No problems or complaints. I like the fact that it is one of
the strongest production revolver on the market.
I just got a P89T a few days ago, only shot 200 rounds
of ball ammo, but I do like the feel and the way it shoots.
I got it for a range gun and save some money ammo. I do
not think it is the kind of gun I would try to conceal. For
the price , no regrets. Time will tell. I have never talked
to anybody that said there Ruger was a POS only that the
autos were to big. Another plus is, Made in the U.S.A.
I would not trade it for my 1911 but a great gun.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have three Ruger firearms. A 10/22 that I got as a kid, A super Blackhawk in .45 colt an a New Model Single Six in .17 HMR. All three have performed great. Like some others here I do not like their semi-auto pistols at all. Feels like a brick in the hand is a good description. And for what it is worth, I think the 10/22 is just about the best semi-auto 22 rifles made. They just flat out run.

Stacey

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
For what it is worth. . .I really like their revolvers, 10/22 and MkII guns, but everything else is kind of poor in my opinion. The rifles are solid hunting rifles, but usually poor in accuracy. Ruger's tend to have poor triggers all around. Worse than most of the better brands. My ol' mans rifle is inaccurate, has a poor trigger and even failed to extract sometimes. Tricky thing was that it was kind of a crazy extraction problem that it took us about 2 years off and on to decide that it wasn't the shooter! My 10/22 is not accurate and has a poor trigger, but it is easy to shoot and accurate enough to still be fun. My Bisley in 45 Colt is fairly accurate and fun to shoot. I fixed the trigger myself.

A security company I workeed for tried to issue the autos. Many of the guys bought them. They really struggled qualifying with them due to jamming. Many decided to use one of the other allowed guns. Terrible thing is . . .most of these guys set down $300ish for the gun and didn't feel good about using it. Those guys didn't make enough to buy something else. Many just seemed to hope they wouldn't need it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have an OM .357 Blackhawk, a NM .45 Blackhawk, a NM .44 SBH and a Security Six in pistols. I also have a 10/22 and a 77/22. They are all great guns.

I have had work done on all of them except the OM Blackhawk. The triggers on both rifles were changed as they were very heavy when stock. With a little work they are now very accurate rifles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I owned a P89 for years, before passing it to my father. The gun ate everything and never failed after thousands of rounds.

Granted, it was bulky feeling, but it was reasonably accurate and very reliable. The safety mechanism was very nice as well, although trigger pull was sloppy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a MKI and a MKII both will shoot as well or better than most of my .22 rifles with iron sights at 25 yds, my eyes are not good enough to shoot past that anymore.

My unmodified, scoped 10/22 will hit spent shotgun shells at 50 yards (the extent of my outdoor range) and has never malfunctioned

My NM Super Blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel has a butter smooth action and is much more accurate than I am

A friend P85 is the ugliest gun I have ever seen but has never failed him no matter how much he fails it.

I read this somewhere on one of these forum -- "If Bill ruger and Sam Colt were competitors, Colt would be known for his fine buggy springs". Bill's version of the single action six gun is stronger, more reliable, more accurate, and better executed than any Colt or Colt clone on the market, although the others have a prettier finish. Rugers in general are as fine a production gun as you will find. If I'm being too vague I like 'em

·
Registered
628 Posts
I really like the Bisleys (I have 3 of them and will have a 4th when they build a Limited in .22lr), but they can keep all the other models.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have several Rugers, none of their semiauto handguns, though. I really like Ruger. For the most part I consider them generally tough, reliable, and solid, even though many of their guns are somewhat odd looking or even ugly. (However, my #1 is a nice looking rifle) (Also have a 10/22, Single-Six, Vaquero 357, and 28 Ga OU)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Three,
A 4 5/8" Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt/ACP and two 45 Colt Vaqueros, a 7 12" & a Sheriff's model with the Powers half-cock hammer and trigger.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Pistols: MKI Standard 22 pistol, Ruger 22/45 pistol, Ruger MkII Government 22 pistol. P85 MKII, P90, and P97 pistols.

Revolvers: 7 1/2" Blackhawk 45 Colt and 7 1/2" Super BlackHawk 44 magnum.

Rifles: 10/22 22lr, 77/44 44 mag, Mini 14 .223, Number 1B .223 and Model 77 Ultra Light 308 Winchester.

Except for the #1B and Model 77 my Rugers aren't pretty but they work and work well.

Regards,

Richard:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let's see now, Ruger...how do I love thee, let me count the ways....I have a P90, a P95, a 22/45, a 4-5/8" 357Blkhk, a 4-5/9" Superblkhk, a blued 25 yr old single six, 2- 10/22's. I love them all. While the autos are not the prettiest...it's like my Daddy always said "pretty is as pretty does" and they do pretty. Never had a failure with any of my Rugers. Wish I could say that for my 1911's.
Did I mention that I like Rugers?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nm Blackhawk 71/2" .45LC I've had this one for about 25yrs.
MKII 51/2" bull barrel I bought in '84
10/22 that I bought last year.
I sold my single six flattop(made in '58)last yearto purchase my first 1911.
I would like to add to my collection of Rugers cause I like 'em.:)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts