1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
carry your Chuck for ccw? I am thinking of taking out the one piece guide rod and replacing it with a standard plug/guide and maybe a synthetic mainspring housing to lighten it up a little. Anybody trust theirs enough to stake their life on it?

Ghillie

·
Registered
610 Posts
I do. I swap around with what I carry for CCW. Usually, it's the Chuck. Since that happens to be the only pistol I have an IWB holster for, I carry it more than any of my other pistols.
I had quite a bit of work done to mine. A lot of smoothing was done to it, as well as polishing the feed ramp, so it would reliably feed hollowpoints. I carry Hornady's XTP 200 gr. ammo. As far as the weight is concerned, I prefer the constant reminder that it's there.
If you feel that you can trust your Chuck, to preform for you when the chips are down, then by all means go for it. I have fired well over 300 rounds through mine without the slightest hint of a malfunction. Some folks say that it needs to fire 1000 or more, without a failure, before they will trust it as a carry-gun. To each their own.

Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Registered
199 Posts
When ever I have on clothes that will cover
the larger frame of a 1911...It's my Chuck.

I have 800 or 900 +\- rounds through it
and trust it completely.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have 800 rounds thru my CD and trust it.700 rounds of hardball and 100 rounds of Federal HydraShok and not one problem. When dress and weather allow I do carry my CD 1911 FS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I should have added I have 200 rnds through mine so far without a hitch. The feed ramp was semi polished from the factory and the barrel was throated. I replaced the firing pin with a ti one, replaced the firing pin stop and the extractor with parts from Wilson, polished the feed ramp to a mirror...much less work than I had to do on the Federal Ordnance and the two Auto Ordnance pistols I owned. I mixed Fed. Hydrashoks, lead reloads, and 185 and 230gr. fmj loads to feed it. I currently carry my Glock 36 off duty, but my real passion lies with the 1911 design(I am lucky enough to be able to carry a 1911 on duty). I think my Chuck is going to make a fine carry piece.

Ghillie

·
Registered
287 Posts
My CD is still original "out of the box" with no modifications. I have put 3000 rds through with zero problems. I shoot USPSA and carry the CD for off-duty. My dept. does not allow single actions for on-duty weapons. Approximately 2700 rounds fired so far have been 200gr swc loaded with 5.0gr of Bullseye. Remaining rounds fired have been 230gr Speer Lawman and 230gr Speer Golddot. Only problems have been attributed to poor mags. I have had the best luck with Wilson mags.

good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by Sniper_44:

and trust it completely.
800- 900 huh My but we've been busy haven't we.

Gman

·
Registered
249 Posts
yes.
mcole

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by Sniper_44:

Clothes huh?? Is that what you call that protruding thing above your waist??

Most of us call it a beer gut!!!

and trust it completely.
Wow, I've got some catching up to do!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts