1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doesn't seem to really fit in any of the forums so I'm just guessing general.

I've decided out of sight out of mind is the way to go. Safes currently bolted to my floor but I'd like to go further and hide it. Anybody have any ideas how to put a door that you can't see? We've thought about a slider but not sure. Wife saw something on google she liked with hidden hinges but I'm not sure that will work either so here I am looking for suggestions.

Google turned up surprisingly little

·
Registered
3,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
Crooks know where to look. Wireless security is your best friend. And keep that thing bolted to the floor. By the time they pry it loose your place will be surrounded. By the way, many people forget how much moisture can enter the safe through those bolt holes if they are not caulked.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone except the perps with the right equipment would take my whole safe. It's weighing in at 750lbs, so to move it takes some strong backs or specialized equipment.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone except the perps with the right equipment would take my whole safe. It's weighing in at 750lbs, so to move it takes some strong backs or specialized equipment.
Mine weights over 850 empty ... and was delivered by two young men in a pickup truck. Don't think for a minute that a couple of 20-somethings and a furniture dolly can't cart off your safe in about ten minutes.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It only takes about 5 min. to cut into a safe with a sawzall and good blades. Safes are good but only part of a comprehensive security system. I know this from first hand experience. I saw a demonstration at a gun show one time where a guy cut into a premium "Hall" safe with a sawzall. It was scary fast!!!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I don't know anyone that does them but they are out there.Those bookshelves and hidden doors in walls do exist that you see in movies,the problem is finding the hardware and someone that knows how to build them.The hidden doors are a bit hard,you have to like paneling or planking to hide the seam without that wall looking out of place for the room.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I have my Fort Knox FTK-PB hidden by a clothes rack.And I'm not worried about telling anyone because there not getting into it. I have it bolted
to the hardwood floor and situated in a way that a circular saw can't even cut it out.The clothes rack is what you see in dept stores.I have a lot of clothes. LOL!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a Liberty Fatboy, which is 5' tall by 4' wide by 3' deep. It weighs 880 lbs. empty. It's too big to put in the house so, I put it in the garage and bolted it to the concrete floor.
I didn't care for everybody being able to see it when the garage door was open so, I built a utility closet around it with 2 36" doors opening from the middle. When I swing the 2 doors open, they hide the safe so you can't see what I'm doing. My wife uses the extra storage to store her carpet cleaner, mops, brooms, etc.
I built it all the way to the ceiling,(9') and made shelves above it. I can store gun and rifle cases up there, all concealed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My Liberty is inside the master bedroom closet with the added benefit that it won't fit through neither the bedroom door or closet door unless the doors, framings, and jambs are removed first.

The master bedroom is also on the second floor...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have mine in a walk-in closet in our third bedroom. It is bolted to the floor and fits perfectly in the cutout area which would hinder the use of a saw or anything to open it. This is also the grandsons room when he comes over so when you open the door you see the toys and all, I figure a little camouflage cant be a bad thing. I also have a motion sensor on the safe that is tied into my alarm system, it is one of two zones that is armed about 99% of the time even when I'm home...

·
Registered
886 Posts
You put it in a section of the house that has a notch type wall. Make the wall look flat with drywall. Make an entrance out of a suspended book case or large mirror or picture. It is easiest to do if you are finishing a basement. Put it behind a bathroom or closet area. It really only has to pass a cursory glance, criminals normally do not want to dally around. Most of all, shut your mouth and don't show it to anyone.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not a safe, but a friend has a hidden space in one of his rooms. The book shelf (which is very heavy) is on hidden sliders. It's set in such a way that unless you know there is a hidden space at one end of the closet you'd never think to look.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Crooks know where to look.
I don't think the idea here is to hide it from a crook. It's mostly to keep it out of sight so that prying eyes like the pizza boy or heater repairman doesn't see it and start shooting his mouth off to his friends and co-workers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You guys that think your safe can't be cut into are kidding yourselves.
A sawzall, no? What about a Metabo? What about the gas powered trash saws like fire and rescue guys use?
It can be done, easier than you want to admit

·
Registered
500 Posts
My safe is not exzactly hidden :( It's located in the hall 6'X7' hard-walled closet with steel flush fit door, reversed hinges then two small motion detector sensors (obscured). Occasionally, some one will ask "What's the deal with the two deadbolts?" Ill say hmmmmm, never noticed them :).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts