1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good amount of H4227 on hand and have not seen any load data for the 45ACP. I found it strange that it is listed for the 38spcl and 44mag, but not the 45acp. I'm trying to use up my current inventory of powder.

One reason that I can think of, is that the slower burning pistol powders need longer barrels to reach their true potential.

tjg

·
Registered
21,734 Posts
It needs a larger case to get enough in to give normal pressure and velocity. 4227 is too slow and bulky for .45ACP; ok in revolver rounds, magnum and BP. I have shot lots in .44 Mag and some in .44-40. Also for cast bullet rifle loads. But it won't do much in .45ACP. Now you have an excuse to buy a new gun.

·
Registered
550 Posts
H4227 is not a very useful powder. If memory serves, it was originally made for the .22 Hornet, and is perfect for that application. You can use it in the magnum pistol cartidges, but there are better choices.

I have several pounds a friend gave me, and will probably never use them. Perhaps I should buy a .22 Hornet rifle just to use the powder.

I suggest trying to trade it to someone. I will do the same, first chance I get.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll just use it in plinking rounds with my 44mag to use it all up. I've also used in my 45/70, but there is too much empty space. I've move to h110 for 44mag hunting loads and Univ. Clays for 44mag plinking, 45acp and 38spcl.

Thanks,
tjg

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I was planning on giving it a try with 45-70, but use it for .30 carbine and .357 magnnum loads exclusively. I agree it's not going to threaten the versatility of Unique any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
It works great in .30 Carbine. I also tried it for low pressure/high volume loads in .44-40, but there was a lot of firing residue that seemed to indicate incomplete combustion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts