1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys....and gals, Ray Yeager is opening up another indoor shooting range. it is located on the corner of first and college streets. it is supposed to be open this month. i will find out what week he is actually gonna open the doors.
btw, this is not me advertising for ray. last deal i had with ray he said he would send a ffl to 2 different people for me...guess what? neither of them ever showed up. thanks,,,,that really helped me a lot. one guy i had already paid 2k to for a gun. by the time i got it straightened out, i thought the guy wasnt going to send me the gun. what a nightmare!
but anyway, i would like to do some winter indoor shooting. maybe if there a few people here interested we can get someting going, and meet every once in a while and shoot. i have been hoping ray would have some form of competition shooting a couple times a month.
let me know if anyone is interested,
Max (eraser)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I read the article. Wow!

I don't live in KY, but I would NEVER give a penny of business to someone in the firearm business who would support the licensing of gun owners. He's not "one of us", he's one of "them". Find somewhere else to shoot this winter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for pointing that out<-----

Thanks for that info high_caliber!!!!!!! i am so glad i found out that "ray" thinks his personal interests should infringe on our "gun rights".
i hope everyone in the area becomes aware of this.

oh well, i will just continue shooting in my back yard (no matter how cold it gets:p )

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's definately not a short trip trip to knob creek for me... but i will do without before i go to his range;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was always perplexed by Ray's stance on that Bill. Expecially since he and Julie were MAJOR gun show vendors.

I hear the new range will be annual membership only. No more stopping in without a card.

See ya at Knob Creek. Kenny and Junior know where their paycheck comes from.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A place to shoot near Lousiville

Silver Creek conservation club has 5 pistol ranges , a trap range. It has a gate with a combination lock that is given to members and you can shoot when you want. It is outdoors and the only thing is on the second Sunday the range is closed for IPSC match. I joined because I can shoot when I want. No center fired rife allowed. Dues are $60.00 first year and $35.00 after that. Great people.
Ray is a jerk and NO ONE should buy anything from him and force him out of business.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was invited to shoot IPSC as a guest at Silver Creek earlier this month. Very nice facility. Very nice people. Just minutes from the bridge. I'll be back.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
The brochure from Julie Yeager's range says that "All shooters must be a part of our membership program before being allowed to shoot on the range". "Every member must hold a current CCDS Ky Card, a member of law enforcement, or have watched a safety video provided by the Sportshooter's before going on to the range". Prices for one person will be $8.00 per half hour. That's a buck more than the old prices at Rays Indoor Range. Membership as of now will be: Bronze Member: $89.95 for 3 months, Silver: $150.00 for 6 months, Gold: $275.00 for a yearly membership. I guess if you meet the requirements you are considered a "member" if only on a hourly basis, have to check that out.
I asked Ray one time about the Courier Journal article and he said that it was "taken out of contex", heard that one before. Personally I take anything that the C-J says about guns with a grain of salt. At one time they reported that Ray had "issued a CCW permit to a blind lady. The CCW instructors don't issue the permits, that's from the state police. Also the so called "blind lady" was in fact legally blind but only without her glasses. She also was a licensed driver. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Typo. Should be CDWL (Concealed Deadly Weapons License). At least that what it says on my card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was so excited to see Ray's open again, i live out in the East End. I have gone out there several times and everytime i leave i wonder why i ever went in the first place.

High prices & bad service. I am a smart @ss, but i don't want to be treated like i'm buggin someone just because i want their opinion of a pistol. I get real tired of hearing, Well most guns will out shoot the person holding it! True but not a good answer.

I have only shot once out at Knob and it was just to run a box of ammo thru a 1911 i was looking at.

I tend to favor Clark County Memorial Forest over in Henryville IN.

Free to shoot, generally nice people out there, and i enjoy the drive.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I never really had any problems with Rays when he was open in the old place. For one, I have not purchased anything from them except targets and occasionally some ammo. I got along just great with the hired help, guy named JR and a lady named Ellen. I have to admit the place could get pretty scuzzy at times. But hey! it was the only place to shoot indoors. Knob Creek is really a dump but I never had any problems there. If you really want a nice place to shoot pistol and rifle plus skeet look into French Shooting Club Range on Fort Knox. Not really hard to get into. If you don't have Post access such as active military or retired military you can get what they call a Morale-Welfare Card that permits you to use the range. The Military Police do a background check like the check to purchase guns. If all is OK the picture ID is issued. Will be open on Feb 1. Cost is $4.00 per day for rifle/pistol shooting and they provide the target and target holder. Can't beat that with a stick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Knob Creek

Knob Creek gets my $. As for Ray, anyone that EVER supported licensing of gun owners, additional fees on guns and/or ammo will NEVER get a penny from me. I drive nearly an hour to get to Knob Creek, but they are nice folks who run a respectable business. And they are on OUR side!

Peace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am moving back to KY nextweek, does anyone know if Ray (or anybody else) did open a new indoor range in Louisville? If not I will have to travel to good old Knob creek or rejoin Silver Creek (anyone got their contact #?).

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
The range, Sportshooter's Indoor Range is now open at 764 S 1st St, Louisville, phone 502-540-9901. I believe it is now under his wife Julie's ownership. She has 7 lanes now open and plans on opening 5 or 6 more by May. Will also have a handicap lane. It's just off exit 136A, I65. Between Jacob and College streets. Free parking across the street and next to the building. Was there today, not as large as the old one but a lot cleaner. Can shoot up to 25 yards. Because of insurance requirements all shooters must take a 10-15 minute vidio safety instructions. If you are a KY concealed carry permit holder or law enforcement the safety requirement is not needed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
scobieh, do they offer rental guns as well for those of us that would like to try something new?

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's a good news. I see that it's near Jefferson Community College, this is very close to my work. Is this membership only range? I still have old KY CDWP I got while trainig (I mean watching that 6hour silly video) with Ray. Do they allow centerfire rifles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts