1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a set of "thin grips" for my 1911 Colt Gold Cup and I found a company on the web called "Sporting Arms Custom Grips" (http://www.woodgrips.com). I want to get a set of smooth grips since I mounted a Kimber .22 conversion kit on the Colt frame and I want something as small and comfortable as possible since my wife will be the one using it.

Is anyone familiar with these folks?
If so, what do you think of their products?

Does anyone have any other suggestions / comments / recommendations / etc on other brand thin grips?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Joe Lolli said:
"Sporting Arms Custom Grips" (http://www.woodgrips.com).
I bought a set of their thin "Ranger" (half-checkered) grips for a full-size 1911. They came with the necessary short grip screws and bushings. My order arrived quickly and the quality of the grips was good IMO. I have no complaints and would order from them again (although these days I am tempted by the beautiful exotic-wood customs offered by some forum members).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"although these days I am tempted by the beautiful exotic-wood customs offered by some forum members"

Oh yeah? can you post a website or contact info?

Thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought their grips

Got them through Smith and Alexander, but these guys made them. Gorgeous smooth cocobolo with nice grain. Or they can pick you very tight grain cocobolo with virtually no pattern. Nice folks to deal with.... Smith and Alexander.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The woodgrips.com grips are what came standard on my Rock River Arms National Match Hardball. They are excellent products.

Eventually I did switch them out to thicker grips, which is the opposite direction you seem to be looking for.

But they are EXCELLENT grips. $1 shipping can't be beat, and this company is run by the original founder of Kimber, which is an interesting story in it's own right.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I bought a pair of skinny grips, sight unseen. They turned out to have come from the outfit in question.

They're great! They're nice wood, well made and really, really skinny. I'd buy from them without question.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As an FYI:

I recently purchased a set of gaboon ebony (dark brown, nearly black) wood grips from Scott Sensing for my stainless steel Colt Government model. I also had Scott install Colt medallions in them. They came out great! I am very happy with them. They make my plain-jane Colt look like a custom model! :cool:

Scott is great to work with and had the grips to me less than 2 weeks after I ordered them. :rock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts