1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site for 1911 parts : http://www.45gunparts.com

Their prices are 1/2 the price of the cheapest in Brownells. Have any of you bought parts from them?

I think I know the answer - "you get what you pay for"

I'm building an Essex 1911 and one of the first things I need is a loose fit barrel bushing to fit the barrel. I'll be using an EGW angle bore bushing for the final product however.

45gunparts has a bushing for $6.70

-Art

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Art, there are a number of threads and posts regarding this outfit. I have no personal experience, but the consensus seems to be that these parts have problems, like misaligned holes and inferior, thus less durable, base steel. I've also read that these parts are of slightly-less-than-highly-respected Masen manufacture, but I haven't seen real confirmation of that.

A search will yield more info, some based on direct experience, on these parts.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I've bought some small parts from them, and they do appear to be similar in appearance and price to the stuff available directly from the John Masen web-site.

For some things, like slotted grip screws, this is not problem.

I sure wouldn't use their hammer and sear, though.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I tried

one of their mainspring housings. It looked like a cheap casting that had not been machined post casting. The cap pin hole was to small for the pin. I put it on my table at the local gunshow and someone still bought it from me even after I warned him. My advise is don't waste your time or money.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't waste your money! Afriend bought all the internals from them for a project, and they were all junk, The extractor could be bent by hand, The grip screws were a different thread from the bushings etc...

You DO get what you pay for!

Byrd

·
Registered
261 Posts
I bought 3 8 round .45 mags from them and they all function great, never had a problem with the mags. Never ordered parts tho.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Bought a few parts from them for my GI replica project. Their sear and disconnector wouldn't function properly, so I filed and adjusted a dozen times, to no avail. :scratch: Chalked it up to a learning experience. Ordered Wilson Combat sear and dis, and lemme tell ya those puppies are buttery smooth!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pure garbage. I specifically remember their grip saftey was made out of some queer pot metal that would not take a parkerizing. Ledges on firing pin stop were cut or cast crooked. So crooked it was visible and would not go in the slide. Mag release clocked out after about three pushes as interior slot is not perpendicular. I have seen better quality toys in a box of Trix.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
YOU CAN BUY

Caspian, Ed Brown, C&S, Clark, EGW, Nowlin, McCormick.

How much does one actually (as opposed to 'hopefully') save?

Life is too short to buy crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts