1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys and girls,

Does anyone carry a Gold Cup, either CCW or on duty? Are the adj. sights a problem when carried in a holster with a thumb strap? I was salivating over the new gold cups and noticied that the Bomar sight extends over the slide a little. Does it present a problem? If so can it be remedied???

Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I carry my Trophy Match occassionally in a DeSantis IWB holster, which has the guard to protect it from the rear sight. No reason not to carry it, it'll do anything any other 1911 will do plus. I usually opt for my lightweight Commander though due to weight (of the gun).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Carried a SS Gold Cup for over 10 years on duty with Safariland
#200 and #2 High Ride holsters.
The sights never were a problem in the holsters.

BTW, Very nice gun.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I carry a GC with Ellason sites. You know your carring something! And something big! No problem with the sites though. :)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I've carried a Delta Gold Cup for over seven years now as my standard CCW gun in a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster. I see absolutely no difference than if I were carrying a Govt model or Commander. I always wear a thick T-shirt to keep the Accro sight from digging on my skin!

There is a myth that the wide trigger on the Gold Cup is somehow a problem. Not in my experience. Properly designed holsters are not overly tight around triggers anyway! And most holster makers are well aware of the Gold Cup and other (AMT, etc) wide trigger variations - and design ALL holsters with this in mind.

If you are concerned that your holster may induce drag against the trigger, test it with an unloaded, off safe gun and see if there is any way you can trip the trigger on the holster when reholstering. If you can - get rid of that holster, pronto!

I carry my DGC for a number of reasons that make sense to me.

1.) It is completely reliable, period. It has never malfunctioned.
2.) It is accurate with loads it likes - 3" or better at 25yds.
3.) Trigger is perfect for a street gun - 4.5lbs with just the right amount of "takeup creep" that lets you feel that the gun is about there - "you'd better mean it!"
4.) Extremely courtroom defensible - it's Colt's Target Pistol, for heaven sakes. "Gold Cup" comes off better than, say, "Devastator" or "Wilson Combat Close Quarters Battle (CQB). "I say Mr. Walter Mitty, where you imagining being in a battle when you bought this gun?"
5.) Then there's the 10MM cartridge..... But that's a seperate topic!

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Col. Colt said:
There is a myth that the wide trigger on the Gold Cup is somehow a problem. Not in my experience. Properly designed holsters are not overly tight around triggers anyway! And most holster makers are well aware of the Gold Cup and other (AMT, etc) wide trigger variations - and design ALL holsters with this in mind.

If you are concerned that your holster may induce drag against the trigger, test it with an unloaded, off safe gun and see if there is any way you can trip the trigger on the holster when reholstering. If you can - get rid of that holster, pronto!
I will disagree, and agree with Col Colt in the question of Gold Cup pistols and holsters. Where I disagree is all manufacturers do not take the wider trigger into account. From my observations all manufacturers of leather holsters take the trigger into account, but but not all manufacturers of Kydex holsters take the wide trigger into account. There is at least one report of an unintended discharge at the training facility Front Sight, that was caused by a kydex holster. The root cause is two fold one human the other holster design. The design issue is some manufacturers of kydex mold indentations into the holsted to grip the pistol frame inside the trigger guard. When these holsters are used with a Gold Cup there is enough friction between the holster retention indentations and the wide trigger that the holster can press the trigger during holstering. The human part of this was the person involved in the unintended discharge failed to properly set the thumb safety. See the link below, incident #2.

http://www.frontsight.com/SafetyReports.asp?Action=ShowSingle&ID=5

While the above link places all the blame on the shooter for not properly setting the thumb safety, this would probably have been a lot less likely to happen with a leather holster.

Where I agree with Col. Colt is, if there is any way to trip the trigger when holstering your pistol, dump that holster!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I carry my Series 80 Gold Cup (adjustable sight) in a Bianchi #19L-
Holster since 8 years, hammer down, safety strap over the hammer,
trigger is concealed by gun leather-
this holster fits like a glove, excellent leather work!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I carry my GC in a Galco Avenger, never a problem. The Galco also works great for my Defender and Browning HP...

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Sincere Thanks to Str8_Shot for bringing up a potentially very serious contemporary problem that I overlooked - molded plastic holsters, be they Kydex or any other moldable material.

The two Kydex that I tried were for my Defender, and while they had no trigger drag problems, they do scratch the gun up (particularly in a dust environment), so I have pretty much stayed with leather for my day to day equipment. They are indeed "molded" to a model gun, and thus tight around oversized triggers.

Forgive me for an assertion that, perhaps should be true, but unfortunately may not be at all - depending on the care of the holster maker. Humility is good for the soul, I hear!

Again, thanks for clarifying an important safety matter for all of us.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, from a mid-1850's Colt Handgun Newspaper Ad. More true than ever!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts