1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a fallen tree (small one) blocking part of the access road to my rental property. I could get by around it but man, how much an axe would have helped! So, I went out and bought an axe...no skimpy hatchet here, but a full-sized axe. It's in my car's trunk. I went back to the property today, hoping to use it on that tree.....alas....someone with a chainsaw had beaten me to it.

Anyone carry an axe in their car?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Always.

I have a Gransfors in my vehicle. My Dad had it custom engraved for me at the factory and gave it to me on my birthday, years ago.

They make nice stuff, and their website is interesting:
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't keep one in my car anymore. Back when I had a truck, I used to carry a small cordless electric chainsaw, along with a car charger for the battery.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
I have 2 Gerber hatchets, a few e-tools and a SPAX. One of the Gerbers I keep in my Jeep. The rest are in kits.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is funny.

Always.

I have a Gransfors in my vehicle. My Dad had it custom engraved for me at the factory and gave it to me on my birthday, years ago.

They make nice stuff, and their website is interesting:
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/
I carry a Gransfors bruk axe in my truck also. European axes are night and day better than the Chinese axes that most retailers sell here in the states now. I have a couple of Iltis Ochsenkopf german axes that I also use on a regular basis around my property. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny that I paid for them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
No Axe but I do carry a folding Gerber saw that has been know to take down some 10" trees in a pinch. That combined with a Esee 5 for splitting wood does everything I need.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm a girl and I actually carry an axe on my carpentry belt in my truck. I manage apartments and you'd be surprised how frequently an axe comes in handy. (For fixing things. ;) )

I have one of the classic all metal "Estwings" with the leather grip. About $30 a Home Depot. I can trim a door with it or if you are a cheeky sort and can't keep your hands to yourself they may call you "stumpy." :biglaugh:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like to revive old American steel. Collins, Plumb ect... make great choppers.
Lots of work though;

Heres a 3.5lb Plumb. She's a brute.
Re-hafted with 36" hickory and six coats finger rubbed tung oil.
Before;

After;

Working on another;

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I think we're going to need a dedicated "axe thread" - maybe in the blade subforum...nice work there Trike. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
For the good old American stuff.

I have always been partial to the Keen Kutter brand. The Winchesters are not too shabby either.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I like to revive old American steel. Collins, Plumb ect... make great choppers.
Lots of work though;

Heres a 3.5lb Plumb. She's a brute.
Re-hafted with 36" hickory and six coats finger rubbed tung oil.
Before;

After;

Working on another;
Amazing work, sir. I've got a box full of old axe, pickaxe heads, etc. You've inspired me to attempt reviving them.

Back to topic, I'm completely unprepared but I'm starting to work on it. And a good hearty axe will be in the truck tool box.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Uncle Buck had a hatchet.

I keep wanting to get a Tactical Battle Axe but everytime I mention it my fiance rolls her eyes.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I like to revive old American steel.
Very nice refurbishing job. But I have to ask, how did you finish off the bevel? What was your goal? Polished keenness? A tad toothy?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I used to carry a seven pound fire axe, does that count? :)

Got a nice sharp axe and hatchet in the garage. I haven't felt the need to carry one in the truck.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Have a Gransfors axe in the travelling truck and use their mini belt hatchet a fair amount for small chores. The mini hatchet is way more usefull than a big knife IMHO...Still hard to beat a chain saw though.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I have carried and Estwing hatchet for 30 years but would hate to have to cut a major tree with it. I did nearly have to beat down a black bear with it once. I am glad he decided not to eat me.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
7 pound fire axe?

Yep.

Still have one that was surplussed back in 1972. I sharpened it and it hangs in the garage ready for use any time it's needed. Also have a Boy Scout Hatchet as well as a Bow Saw. I like my Chain Saw for ease, but sometimes, it's a pleasure to make chips.

"Trike" really makes his look nice.

That might have to be a project of mine for the old axe one of these days.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts