1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you carry your own 223 AR-15 type rifles in the trunk while on duty.

·
Registered
853 Posts
No, I carry it in a "Lectro Lok" right next to the 870. The 37mm Gas and Bean Bag gun is in the trunk.

The AR is a 16" HB w/ collaspable stock.

"OH, come, on officer, can't you let me go with a warning this time!?"

"OK, what the heck. If you do this again.........I'll write you another ticket."

·
Registered
20 Posts
I carry mine in the trunk, our cruisers have 870's in the usual position on the cage and the department will not install a separate locking mechanism to secure the ar-15 in the driver compartment. It is inconvient and compatively slow to access but better than not having it at all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Where I work I carry a Bushmaster with fixed stock in the trunk or sometimes in the front seat with me. I also always have a S&W 3000 12ga with me at all times. I wish my department would provide lockable mounts, but we are working on that. By the way both of these weapons are my personal ones

------------------
Men sleep safe in there beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just curious. I am not an LEO yet, hopefully this summer after I finish my BA degree. I shoot my Bushmaster A-3 Shorty regularly and was wondering if some departments encourage their officers to carry (In the car) AR types while on duty. I would think after the L.A. body armor bandits in the 90's that this would be a practice more departments would approve of. Thanks,
Ed.

------------------
In the absence of order, common sense prevails.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by futureleo:
I would think after the L.A. body armor bandits in the 90's that this would be a practice more departments would approve of. Thanks
OH, Geeze!!! Now it's the 90's! Hoss, I still think that my H.S. graduation in 196_ was yesterday. I just can't wait for you to wake up one morning and find your first age spot. Better yet, spell after me, B-i-f-o-c-a-l-s.You have reminded me that I am over the hill and I don't love you anymore.

Couldn't you have said something like the Hollywood BA bank job or something? Did you really have to say in the 90's!?!?!?!?!?!?

If you do get into police work, I curse your soul to eternal graveyards in the rain and a car with a broken heater.

·
Registered
591 Posts
ROFL. I'm a bit behind you, but my eyes are bad, my feet are worse, my waistline is expanding, and my hair is getting suspiciously thin. Getting old sucks. But, all things considered, it sure beats the alternative

M1911

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by futureleo:
Do any of you carry your own 223 AR-15 type rifles in the trunk while on duty.
Perhaps more to the point, in the interest of education (mine); Has anyone ever actually used a rifle that he had stowed in the trunk in an emergency (as opposed to a deployment on the perimiter).

I really like rifles (not necessarilly .223s but they will do), and always carry one (even though I don't do patrol work anymore) if my vehicle is not to be left unattended but I have seen few cases in which they would actually be on my person (hunting for marijuana fields or fugitives would be a couple). It would be interesting to find out how much actual use long guns get.

I'm all ears

Be careful out there,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by JimH:

It would be interesting to find out how much actual use long guns get.
It all depends on what you consider use. If you mean actually fire it in anger on duty, well then not here. That goes for the 870 also.

Now, if you accept the concept of brandishing it at a foe to get their attention as "use," then I can raise my hand and that goes for the 870 too.

We also had two other sergeants here brandish AR's and use expletives to gain the compliance of uncooperative felons. Both were armed robberies, one of which involved an out of town ethic gang with lots of firepower at their command.

Just recently a native son of my fair city popped a cork and went on a shooting spree in a city just south of here. He took on the police there and was dispatched by a patrol sergeant wielding an AR.

[This message has been edited by Patrickl (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes a scoped stainless Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle or a department owned M-14.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
101 Posts
I carry a Colt 16" HBAR w/Surefire Millenium light that is my personal gun. It cost a good bit for the light and gun, but it's a great rig. It rides up front with me. Its only came out of the car once. We had a guy hole up in a trailer threatening to kill his girlfriend, the police and himself. No shots were fired, but I spent almost 3hrs laying behind that trailer freezing my rear end off.

Dman

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Your captain probably voted for Billary, too.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Nope; he's a transfer from the tradional-minded State Police. He doesn't see a "need" for rifles and convinced the Sheriff to kill the policy.

You would think that if anyone knew the value of a rifle it would be the State Police. At least out here in the vast wasteland of New Mexico!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 870 in the trunk and my Ar up front. It is a Colt A3 model with a shorty barrel,20 rnd mag, trijicon reflex, RIS with foregrip and Surefire. I dont have a rack(Chief is too cheap to buy one) but it fits perfectly between the driver side seat and the door frame, that way, when I come out of the car,it comes out with me if I need..no messing with a rack or anything. I deploy mine frequently...building clearing, tracking perps thru the woods, etc. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Helps having a Chief that listens to you even if he thinks we should still be carrying revolvers.

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Registered
817 Posts
col132: Finally! I still wonder why someone would want to carry the AR-15 or M-16 with the .223? If I were in LE, I'd want at least a .308. Didn't the LE community leard anything from the LA incident in the '90's? Sorry, Patrickl. I could'nt resist. If memory serves me correctly, did'nt LAPD have .223 and had to go to a local gunshop and borrow something a little bigger? If my big butt was on the line, I'd be towing a Howitzer behind my cruiser! BTW the SC highway patrol carries AR-15's in the trunk too. Rumored to be M-16's. The last gov. fired the head of the HP dept. because he didn't want them "building their own militia, your job is to write traffic tickets" The new gov. placed him back in office. Now they all carry the AR in the trunk, and a S&W airlite on the ankle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally! I still wonder why someone would want to carry the AR-15 or M-16 with the .223?

Because a 5.56 / .223 rifle has outstanding accuracy and a devastating amount of firepower.

If I were in LE, I'd want at least a .308. Didn't the LE community learn anything from the LA incident in the '90's?

Yes we did. We learned that we needed to give patrol .45 cal handguns, rifled slugs for shotguns, and .223 rifles.

Sorry, Patrickl. I could'nt resist. If memory serves me correctly, did'nt LAPD have .223 and had to go to a local gunshop and borrow something a little bigger?

Nope, your memory is wrong. During the North Hollywood shootout, LAPD patrol officers were armed with Brettera 92F handguns with 115 grain ball ammo, and Ithaca model 37 shotguns with Federal Tac 12 00 buckshot. A patrol unit went to B&Bs gun shop and picked up two Colt AR-15's in .223 ;However, before they were deployed, SWAT had killed one suspect with a .223 rifle and the other shot himself.

The M-16 / AR-15 series of weapons are ideally suited to LE use. For the $$$, no other package offers the same amount of precision, ammo capacity, and the ability to overcome all types of personal body armor in use today...

Just my .02

Brad

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe it was Lodi Ca. PD that dispatched a bad guy that had diarmed one Cop, shot another Cop with that gun and led a merry vehicle chase that ended with him and a hostage bailing out and running. He was taken out with an 80 yard shot with an AR15 and a Glock .40. His pit bull was dispatched by an officer with a AR15 when it charged the Officer...all caught on tape by a news chopper...The bad guy is now a paralyzed and is sueing...Of course there was a great public outcry by bunny huggers that the poor dog was killed

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes I do carry a stainless Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with 3x9 scope in the trunk of my Crown Vic, in a nylon rifle case...

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

1 - 20 of 53 Posts