1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Carry a Colt Wiley Clapp commander to and from work every day and switch between it and a Gllck 43 for of duty. I did carry my WC one day on duty when I forgot my full size Colt at home after a range day. Fit fine in my duty holster and I felt more than confident that it would perform if the need and risen.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Had to carry a Glock 19M until I retired. Now I carry a Colt Combat Commander (late 70's vintage) that has an NP3 treatment (from Robar in Phoenix) with Novak sights.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
When I don't carry a full size 1911 I carry a Commander. Lately it's been a Ruger Lightweight with Federal 185Gr. JHPs' in Wilson ETM Magazines.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I carried a Wilson CQB and surefire light, full size when I was a K-9 handler, but switched to a Nighthawk Enforcer II with Titanium frame. Much lighter for dayshift patrol but always had an O-Light LED on my belt and Streamlight Strion LED in my squad as a backup. As they say one is none two is one. Glock 43 inside vest as well. JMTC

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have carried an all-steel double-stack Para P12.45, an all-steel Colt M1991A1 Compact (Officers ACP), and an alloy-framed Para Slim Hawg subcompact. The small, alloy-framed pistol is significantly and noticeably lighter. However, that doesn't mean that the heavier pistols weren't comfortable -- it's just that you are more aware of their presence.

This is really a very subjective question, and all answers you receive will be valid only for the individual offering the response (such as me). What's uncomfortable for me might be perfectly comfortable for you, and vice-versa.

·
Registered
373 Posts
DOUBLE POST:grumble:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I carried a 1911 Wilson CQB with light rail(surefire equipped) when on duty for most of my career. when I moved up to dayshift I went to my Nighthawk Commander size (MOD 3). The Titanium frame shaved off some weight as did not using the weapon light. I didn't feel under gunned. The fact is that they are both fine platforms.....shoot what you shoot the best with and fits your style of shooting. JMTC

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am retired now, but usually carry a Kimber Pro Carry .45 for church protection duty. My department, and now my corporate security agency, do not allow 1911s. The ignorant bias against the 1911 is frustrating. Usually the first thing you hear is "safety" and general phobia about the cocked hammer you can see. After many years of carrying Glocks professionally, I am convinced it is easier to have an AD with a Glock than a 1911.

·
Registered
16 Posts
IN MY first PD I carried a LT WT Commander.
I also carried it as my off duty piece.

Then as I got more into shooting I found I was beating that poor alloy Colt to death and went over to my tweaked GoldCup.

Still carried the Commander as off duty gun.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I carried a Colt WC LW Commander for 3 years while in the plain-clothed unit. Great gun and great assignment! Now I am back in uniform and carry a WC Government.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Does anyone here carry a lightweight Commander as a duty gun? Just curious.
I didn't think I would ever say, "Yes" to this, but it looks like I will be shortly.

I bought an STI Staccato P Duo in the Lord's Caliber and stuck a Leopold DPP red dot sight on it for duty carry. W/ a 4.15" barrel and plastic grip, it is lightweight, so it is definitely Commander-size.

The holster and mag pouches come in tomorrow, and I am fighting w/ STI now to get more mags at a discount price. I hope to begin carrying it as soon our worthless Governor reopens the schools.

·
Registered
95 Posts
1977 started carrying a Colt Combat Commander, I have carried some variation of Commander sized 1911's ever since. My chief was a big advocate of the 1911 and the .45 acp. He recommended the Commander sized for duty. I'm happy that he did.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
My Ted Blocker #402 arrived today. The "Commander" looks good in it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Carried a 5" steel Wilson Combat customized Colt 1991 45acp since 1992 until I retired (1st time) in 2008. Now I'm a part timer with a smaller PD as well as Route Security for a Company. Been carrying a lightweight Wilson Combat Commander for the last several years daily. It's a fine service weapon.

Recoil is slightly more but easily controllable. The light weight allow you to forget it's their at times. Can't go wrong with a quality light weight Commander.

JW

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone here carry a lightweight Commander as a duty gun? Just curious.
Was carrying CDP Pro... but I’ve lost some weight and made up for the weight difference with my new Aegis Elite Pro... my wife thinks I lost the weight because bikini season is right around the corner...

41 - 60 of 63 Posts