1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a GP100 at the gun store today and i really want one of these weopons. It was a 4" blued model. I really think the blueing on these looks very nice, altough the stainless would be more durable.anyhow the only thing keeping me from buying it was that i thoughy it would be next to impossible to CCW. I was wondering if anyone had tried it before and what there experiences were. The gun shop said they would get me a 3" if i prefered for the same price, which was tempting also. I really like the way the 3" balanced though. Anyhow what do y'all think of the GP100 for CCW?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think that it'd be pretty difficult to conceal well. I'm not sure that the 3" will conceal all that much better than the four inch befcause they're both large guns, however the 3" does have compact grips, I beleive. One thing to remember with ccw revolvers is that more often than not the most unconcealable part is the cylinder. It's by far the widest part of the gun, and on the gp100's the cylinder is pretty big around. I'm not saying that carrying the gp100 concealed is impossible, it just is going to take more thought to put together a proper rig. I'm quite sure there are people who ccw the gp's.
Take a look at the sp101's. They're a slightly smaller frame and have a 5shot cylinder and in .38/.357mag they are available in 2 1/2 and 3" with a hammerspur and without. They're very strong and veryconcealable. They are built just like the gp's, only smaller. If you like the ruger's design. but want the gun primarily for carry, the sp might be more convenient for you. I'm not sure that the sp is available blued though, if tat makes a difference to you.
Hope that helps,
Chevy

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I carry a sp-101 in a Sparks SS2. Its easy to hide with just a shirt over it. There are two versions of the GP-100, the fixed sight model has a shorter butt for some reason, it carries the same grip inserts as the sp-101, but the rubber part is bigger. The cylinder is the hardest part to hide, like ^ said. They are dang heavy too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A lot depends on how you intend to carry it. Holster selection is critical with revolvers. The cylinder is a bit thicker than the puny little J frames, as one would expect with a six shot frame, as opposed to a five shot. You can get more compact grips than the factory ones, so that's not a real issue. You could put SP-101 grips on it if you want to. If you only want it for CCW, you need to think the whole package out. Pistol, holster, grips, etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would like to be able to carry it if need be, but def. not my daily carry rig. Its a weopon that i really want but have very little practicle use for. It would be an excelent woods gun, unfortunately i spend very little time in the woods these days. If i can justify to myself that i could carry it if my 1911 is in the shop I think i would be sold.

Hell i might as well just order it and justify it latter.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
SGT.Cap said:
I got my hands on a GP100 at the gun store today and i really want one of these weopons. It was a 4" blued model. I really think the blueing on these looks very nice, altough the stainless would be more durable.anyhow the only thing keeping me from buying it was that i thoughy it would be next to impossible to CCW. I was wondering if anyone had tried it before and what there experiences were. The gun shop said they would get me a 3" if i prefered for the same price, which was tempting also. I really like the way the 3" balanced though. Anyhow what do y'all think of the GP100 for CCW?
SGT.Cap,

Get the 3 incher! It looks better than the standard 4 inch barrel. How and why you want to conceal carry such a large revolver I can't say. For your purposes I'd get a Smith J frame or a Taurus equivelant.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
hidin' wheels since '76

I wear my GP weak-side butt forward; I can draw with either hand (I'm ambi), sit in the car comfortably, and conceal the butt with my left arm drape......NOT 'cross-draw'.

Big, but doable (harder when I wear onreamy 5.5" Redhawks, but doable).

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd go for it. You sound pretty sold on the gun. If you are big enough and can comfortably carry your Gov't size 1911, I doubt you'll have a real problem carrying a GP of either barrel length once in a while. The Gov't is a pretty big gun too, so the weight wouldn't be a problem for you. If you do decide to get a gp, go with which barrel length you think is more aesthetically pleasing and balances best. Don't forget your choices of sights on the 4" model; adj vs fixed rears with changable front on the adj model: the 3" has fixed only, both front and rear.
Good luck with your decision,
Chevy

N

·
0 Posts
Sp101

I've got the SP101 in 2 1/2 inch barrel. I took the original grip off and installed the Hogue (finger grooved) combat grip. Much better feel and control. The SP101 hides well IWB. The grip hugs my side and is more concealable than my 1911.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had one but got rid of it after carrying it a few months. It was just too big and heavy and thats the plain truth! I got rid of it and bought a .38 caliber snub nose.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
HangEmHigh said:
You can carry the 3" version... You just have to have the proper holster and belt. And dress around the gun.;)
That is very true!
For the past 9 years, I've been carrying 3" GP-100, front IWB (similar to mexican style) in Bianchi 6L (suede holster.) It only goes well with jeans and stiff belt, not biz attire. The gun balances very well. I'd recommend getting it and try the carry method that best fits you. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts