1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many shooters I got started in guns shooting .22s. During my teenage years they were all I shot, since I could do so in the woods right next to my house. Then came adulthood and membership in the local range, and once I started shooting centerfires the .22s went back in their boxes or were relegated to the back of the safe. For a decade or so I all but stopped shooting my .22s. Then came a modest revival in interest in shooting them, and now with the ammo crunch I'm finding I shoot them far more often than my centerfire guns, to the point where I even bought a rimfire conversion for my ARs. While all ammo is extremely hard to find and much more expensive, I wince less paying $50 for a brick of .22 ammo than I do being told I have to pay nearly the same amount if I want a single 50-round box of 9mm ammo.

What the situation has done is given me a newfound appreciation for the fun and simplicity of taking an iron-sighted old .22 rifle out into the woods and popping soda cans, clay pigeons and swinging metal targets. The same kind of shooting I did as a teenager back when my guns were mostly just for weekend entertainment.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The .22's are fun. Probably where we all started. And I agree maybe we all may need to go back and enjoy them. I actually dug my favorite .22 rifle out of a closet for the first time in decades last weekend. Concerned about rust and pits but it weathered well.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Like many shooters I got started in guns shooting .22s. During my teenage years they were all I shot, since I could do so in the woods right next to my house. Then came adulthood and membership in the local range, and once I started shooting centerfires the .22s went back in their boxes or were relegated to the back of the safe. For a decade or so I all but stopped shooting my .22s. Then came a modest revival in interest in shooting them, and now with the ammo crunch I'm finding I shoot them far more often than my centerfire guns, to the point where I even bought a rimfire conversion for my ARs. While all ammo is extremely hard to find and much more expensive, I wince less paying $50 for a brick of .22 ammo than I do being told I have to pay nearly the same amount if I want a single 50-round box of 9mm ammo.

What the situation has done is given me a newfound appreciation for the fun and simplicity of taking an iron-sighted old .22 rifle out into the woods and popping soda cans, clay pigeons and swinging metal targets. The same kind of shooting I did as a teenager back when my guns were mostly just for weekend entertainment.
For more than 20yrs, 90 - 95% of my shooting has been .22s. Before that, my focus was 30 caliber rifles at longish distances. But we moved out of convenient distance from the 600yd club range: new club only had a 300yd range with very limited access; for the most part only 200yds. The switch to focusing on handguns soon became a pretty heavy schedule of .22LR.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
The .22's are fun. Probably where we all started. And I agree maybe we all may need to go back and enjoy them. I actually dug my favorite .22 rifle out of a closet for the first time in decades last weekend. Concerned about rust and pits but it weathered well.
That’s a beautiful stock.

Reactions: frogfurr

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Nope. I find shooting .22 only slightly more entertaining than shooting a rubber band gun. And with the rubber band gun I don't have to leave the house.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Shooting a .22LR pistol or rifle can be a lot of fun.......if you can find ammo. I’m down to less then a brick and saving that for the grandkids.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am shooting a lot more these days

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Registered
812 Posts
Love .22s! we start out shooting with a .22 and as I grow older I find a ton of enjoyment in plinking with an accurate .2Some days it's a bolt other days it might be a lever or auto loader all are fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love shooting .22 pistols and rifles. Lower cost and easier on the hands. I have a Walther GSP and a Hämmerli 215. I have a red dot sight on the Hämmerli. Both pistols have excellent triggers and sights too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I always take a .22 pistol when going shooting, hardly ever fired it, not going to be the case till ammo prices go down, I have a big stock of .22 ammo, and two Ruger mark II and a S&W 617

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have always used my .22 firearms regularly and frequently, so there really has not been an increase for me. I have about a dozen .22 rifles and handguns.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Before this latest panic I hadn't really shot my 22's much at all. I was sitting on almost 50k of 22 ammo.

But I could reload and shoot 9mm cheaper than replacing my stash of 22. I still can load 9mm cheaper than replacing 22 but the defensive pistol/carbine matches at my club were opened up to 22 caliber firearms due to the ammo shortage.

I jumped in with both feet. Split times with my tricked out Ruger 22/45 MK III are MUCH less than with a centerfire pistol. Split times with my tricked out braced Ruger Charger are quicker than split times with my centerfire braced pistols or carbines. So I've been shooting the rimfire stuff for a few months.

I just built up a braced Ruger PC Charger, the split times are just slighter slower than the braced Charger. I may shoot the PC Charger this month. Two months ago I shot my FM 45 ACP braced pistol and came in second in the carbine group. When shooting my brace Charger I was coming in first in the carbines.

In the past, before I moved to Texas I shot a lot of rimfire. I didn't have my Dillon 650 presses and loading on the Hornady LnL AP was a chore. Also I wasn't casting my own bullets and was still working. After retiring, the move, and getting the Dillon(s) set up, then starting bullet casting I went whole hog into centerfire.

I loaded and shot right at 30K of 9mm last year. Being retired is awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too. Previous shooting was mostly C&R military bolt action rifles and larger caliber pistols, all supported by an interest in reloading. But all of that became very difficult when shortages began to get serious. Our local gun range has excellent 22LR pistol and rifle with a nice selection of target boards and a good variety of metal silhouettes. Much fun and ammo isn't too hard to find.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have not shot 22lr for many years with my Sig Hammerli Trailside sitting in the safe collecting dust. The wife had a Browning Buck Mark 22lr never used it so I sold it over two years ago.
Now with the ammo shortage I have ammo and I am loaded up with 22lr's so I went out and bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 to take to the range not to shoot up my 9mm stock.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just bought a cz 457 at-one. I am shooting it up to 300yds, very challenging. I live in pa and am retired , so I fitted up my old tractor shanty with a wood stove and shooting bench and my brother bought me a target cam so, I can shoot year round. Retirement rocks. Wimpy

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’m not shooting :22 any more but always enjoy it more. Pulled out the Marlin 88 and have it all torn down on the bench for a good cleaning

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Last time I went shooting, a couple months ago I didn't shoot any .22lr. I was there for a couple reasons and it already took long enough for the time I had. But I see a lot of that in my future.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I can't get SPP primers because of Biden. A little 22 rim fire ammo I can get now. Digging my laser trainer out of the closet.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts