1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would say yes. I have a little bit of .22 lr. ammo on hand. But I have love to shoot .22's and often take one along with whatever other firearm that I plan on shooting at the range.

·
Registered
1911 Addict
563 Posts
Nope. I find shooting .22 only slightly more entertaining than shooting a rubber band gun. And with the rubber band gun I don't have to leave the house.
I’m with you ,never been a fan of the .22 lr doesn’t matter what it’s stuffed into I prefer 9mm for plinking or practice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I when to the range yesterday, with my wife, to shoot .22’s. The wife’s was a M&P 22 Compact, and mine, a SW1911 with a Colt .22 Conversion. The range was out of .22, but I was able to snag a brick from MidwayUSA two weeks ago, for $57 plus shipping.

Btw, the range’s display cases were full of new and used pistols. Not many revolvers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I enjoy shooting my Anschutz 1017 , I shoot more rifles than pistols.
At 50 yards one ragged hole. Have grandson so to be one year old, that's going to be his when I leave this world. My daughter and her husband have told me they will get him into firearms. My daughter is x deputy sheriff ,son in law North Carolina trooper.
Really enjoy the rifle, have one ar 15,two ar 10, six bolt guns, 7 pistols.
Yet love the 22!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I shoot more overall, and the incremental part is .22 lr. I joined a club where Tuesdays are reserved for .22, and we recently added Saturdays too due to popular demand.

Over 30 years ago I started with a .22 I didn’t really like (S&W 422) and quickly traded for a .357 Magnum S&W 66 which I still have. I then went on for years ignoring .22.

But more recently I’ve added several pistol and rifles in this caliber and rediscovered the joy of simple, cheap and relaxing target shooting and plinking.

I even started shooting one handed with match pistols, which I had never practiced before. That’s a steep learning curve.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Make yourself one of these and put it out to 75 or more yards.......

View attachment 609683
That is a very cool target stand. What are using to hang the clays with? Any and all specs would be appreciated.

I too like many in this thread have been shooting a ton of 22. I’ve gotten the bug bad. In the past year, I’ve sold off some safe queen guns and built 2 amazing Tony Kidd action and barreled rifles. I also bought a pistol that I’ve always wanted but never bought, an S&W M41.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
I shoot more overall, and the incremental part is .22 lr. I joined a club where Tuesdays are reserved for .22, and we recently added Saturdays too due to popular demand.

Over 30 years ago I started with a .22 I didn’t really like (S&W 422) and quickly traded for a .357 Magnum S&W 66 which I still have. I then went on for years ignoring .22.

But more recently I’ve added several pistol and rifles in this caliber and rediscovered the joy of simple, cheap and relaxing target shooting and plinking.

I even started shooting one handed with match pistols, which I had never practiced before. That’s a steep learning curve.

This Beretta .22, I do not recall you posting before. The trigger looks as though it could be a plunger as is an m1911 trigger; even if not, would have a similar feel. What is it?

TIA,
tgt_usa

Reactions: CLASSIC12

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Wow. That must be based on having stocked up on primers, powder, and bullets long ago, no? Now, .22LR is about the price of a primer, per round.
It's called being prepared....and casting my own bullets. The primers I'm currently using I paid $17.50/1000 for. The powder cost me $8 a lb. Sometimes it's being in the right place at the right time.

About three years ago Gander Outdoors was closing out their 8 lb kegs. I drove out to Tyler and picked up every keg of Clays, Red Dot, and Universal they had. The first keg cost me $56.99 and the rest were $72.99, that's for 8 lbs of powder.

My wife was pissed because I spent quite a bit of money. Now she sees the wisdom of doing so. In fact she's told me that when primer prices come back down to spend what I need to get as many primers as I need.

I plan on spreading out the primer purchases over about 4-6 months though. No need to press my luck.

Reactions: dmthomp32

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm old enough to remember 22 bricks being so inexpensive, we'd burn them up at the end of a range day just so we didn't have to bring them home. Shooting 22s at clay birds 100 yards distant with a scoped Ruger 10/22 is still a wonderful experience. That said, with ammo prices what they are, and not wanting to deplete my reserve, I'm strongly considering a break action air rifle for plinking. Something like one of the Dana guns. They go for ~ $250-350, but are top notch quality-wise. A big bonus for me would be the ability to target shoot off the back porch yonder to the river bank (75+ yards).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm old enough to remember 22 bricks being so inexpensive, we'd burn them up at the end of a range day just so we didn't have to bring them home. Shooting 22s at clay birds 100 yards distant with a scoped Ruger 10/22 is still a wonderful experience. That said, with ammo prices what they are, and not wanting to deplete my reserve, I'm strongly considering a break action air rifle for plinking. Something like one of the Dana guns. They go for ~ $250-350, but are top notch quality-wise. A big bonus for me would be the ability to target shoot off the back porch yonder to the river bank (75+ yards).
I had a similar thought at the begin of the panic buying, however all of the pellet rifles were bought out at one point and so were the pellets! Things seem to be available again but at the time it pushed me to shoot my .22's. Use the actual guns and ammo I already owned. That's a slight issue for some of us, it's always about the next purchase versus enjoying what we got. This year I've fought hard on that and tried to stay the course. Patiently waiting for the used gun market to boom when all these folks start selling their panic buys.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
I had a similar thought at the begin of the panic buying, however all of the pellet rifles were bought out at one point and so were the pellets! Things seem to be available again but at the time it pushed me to shoot my .22's. Use the actual guns and ammo I already owned. That's a slight issue for some of us, it's always about the next purchase versus enjoying what we got. This year I've fought hard on that and tried to stay the course. Patiently waiting for the used gun market to boom when all these folks start selling their panic buys.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
More pellet gun shooting is a good idea. Quite a stock of pellets accumulated in my office-range-shop between firearm ammunition panics. In .177 and .22 - the latter may be too energetic for use in the office range. The .22s purchased with pest control in mind ... especially rats. But the new shooting range I’m visiting, allows air-guns. Great for working on the basics of accuracy / precision.

The .177s are incredible within their range. Gotta try out the .22s: I’d rather have had more experience with them next time I face a Norwegian rat. Some of them I killed last invasion had a distinctive call, it sounded like: “Here kitty, kitty”.

#8- o

Reactions: dmthomp32

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm still in the mode of holding onto all of my ammo, .22 included.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That is a very cool target stand. What are using to hang the clays with? Any and all specs would be appreciated.

It couldn't be any easier.......

1. A couple of 1"x2" furring strips
2. As many 3/8" dowel rods as you'd like (grab a bunch to replace ones hit by errant rounds)
3. And the secret ingredient:

I think these things were originally designed to hang clay birds and them someone thought to use them for Christmas lights. They are just too perfect! Home Depot puts these on clearance every year for less than $2.

Drill the strips every so often, insert the dowel rods and hang the birds!!! The base is just your generic PVC target stand. The kids can spend the whole the day shooting at these........ adult kids, I mean! 😁 😁 😁

·
Administrator
74,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
For so many years I only owned three or four .22s. But just in the last year I think I pretty much doubled my collection. A Henry lever-action, a Llama mini-1911, a Marlin 60 and a .22 AR conversion unit. For a long time .22s had become about as exciting to me as BB guns. When shooting paper targets that's probably still true. But a speedy little .22 bullet makes tin cans jump just as high as a 9mm or 5.56 does, and you can keep doing it more often for less money.

BTW an even cheaper and easier .22 target is animal crackers or Necco wafers taped to a 2x4. They're also biodegradable, and you can eat whatever you don't shoot leaving the range super-clean. :p

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
It couldn't be any easier.......

1. A couple of 1"x2" furring strips
2. As many 3/8" dowel rods as you'd like (grab a bunch to replace ones hit by errant rounds)
3. And the secret ingredient:

View attachment 609714

I think these things were originally designed to hang clay birds and them someone thought to use them for Christmas lights. They are just too perfect! Home Depot puts these on clearance every year for less than $2.

Drill the strips every so often, insert the dowel rods and hang the birds!!! The base is just your generic PVC target stand. The kids can spend the whole the day shooting at these........ adult kids, I mean! 😁 😁 😁
havanajim,

Blessings be upon your head. Wonderful idea! It always thrilled me to find somebody had not cleaned up after themselves following shooting clay birds on the 25yd berm. Great pistol practice to pound the chips into dust until no more International Orange remained to be seen. Eventually, I started bringing clay birds myself ... just in case.

That rack would make for lots of shooting per set-up.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
BTW an even cheaper and easier .22 target is animal crackers or Necco wafers taped to a 2x4. They're also biodegradable, and you can eat whatever you don't shoot leaving the range super-clean. :p
Another great idea. While just fine shooting paper, I like reactive targets as much as the next guy.

·
Administrator
74,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Actually, shooting reactive targets is partially what got me back into shooting .22s. For years I only shot at indoor ranges, where paper targets are the only targets allowed. Good for managing your skillset but gets boring in a hurry. The outdoor ranges around me are worse, often only allowing shooting from the bench which gets even more boring. It's difficult to find a place in the woods here in WA, even though we have LOTS of wooded areas. Unfortunately the tree-huggers and private property owners have managed to get significant areas closed off to recreational shooting. Upon finally finding a safe spot to shoot and being able to bounce tin cans again at last I rediscovered some of my lost youth. And since .22s are cheap compared to centerfire I can bounce a lot more cans and burn up a lot more ammo in an afternoon.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
Actually, shooting reactive targets is partially what got me back into shooting .22s. For years I only shot at indoor ranges, where paper targets are the only targets allowed. Good for managing your skillset but gets boring in a hurry. The outdoor ranges around me are worse, often only allowing shooting from the bench which gets even more boring. It's difficult to find a place in the woods here in WA, even though we have LOTS of wooded areas. Unfortunately the tree-huggers and private property owners have managed to get significant areas closed off to recreational shooting. Upon finally finding a safe spot to shoot and being able to bounce tin cans again at last I rediscovered some of my lost youth. And since .22s are cheap compared to centerfire I can bounce a lot more cans and burn up a lot more ammo in an afternoon.
CDO* drives me: a higher percentage of hits; or maintain the same percentage at a faster tempo, a greater range or a smaller target. That's all it takes to keep me interested.

*- come on ... it's gotta be in alphabetic order: what the unaffected call "ohh see dee"..

21 - 40 of 63 Posts