1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took out my 1911 collection to show my neighbor and he remarked that all nine of them are Gov't Models. I've fondled the Officers, Defenders, Commanders, etc. at gunshows and shops, but they never come home with me. The full size pistol just appeals to me much more. Guess I'm a Gov't Model snob...

Anybody else share my predjudice against the smaller 1911's or am I just a narrow minded fool? :)

(By Gov't Model, I just mean 5" guns...not all of mine are Colts)

·
Registered
378 Posts
All my 1911's are 5 inchers, as our all my "to buy" guns. I don't think I dislike the shorties, I just like the Gov't model the best.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I too am a narrow minded fool :D , I've never fired anything but the 5 inchers.

I may one day own a Commander but I'll never go with anything less, literally :) .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't collect firearms - I stockpile them :D

All of my guns are working machines and are modified, used, abused and cherished for their ability to do the task at hand. Cosmetic considerations and resale value are not of import to me. I don't baby them, I don't consider them an investment other than as a self-defense, hunting, or liberty winning tool. I buy what I need to fill the specific need. I have a lot of specific needs -or that is what I tell my wife at least. What does she know? She only owns 3 firearms! Women...

I don't wash my car either except to rinse off the salt so that it doesn't rust away. I keep all my mechanical devices and tools in oiled and sharp condition and in perfect mechanical shape so they can be used/ utilized at a moment's notice as need/fancy dictate -but investments they are not. I use the stock market for my investment needs and I collect books for my spiritual needs. Firearms are for stockpiling for future need ;)

Jim

·
Registered
27,704 Posts
I agree with the above. I have never understood folks that collect firearms especially safe queens. I bought these things to shoot and if I find I have one that I don't shoot, I sell it. I hope someone else will get some use out of it. I never understood the need to have many of the same type of pistols. I have my carry/competition pistol, a backup to that and a LW J frame. I would like to add a LW Commander someday. Never saw the need or anyway to explain the want of a safe full of pistols. I have a friend who has over 60 revolvers with barrels 3" and under. Can't fathom the obsession.:)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Each and every one one of my guns is a shooter. I would never buy a gun that I didn't intend to shoot. I've got 4 safes full of handguns and rifles and all of them are used regularly. Collect doesn't mean "Buy guns..stick them in a box...never shoot them."

And each of my 5" guns is different. From a 1941 USGI Remington Rand to an Ed Brown Kobra to a plain-Jane Colt 1991A1. Just because they are all full size 1911's doesn't mean they the same kind of pistol.

I guess I'm not as narrow-minded as I thought.

Now back to the original topic...

·
Registered
27,704 Posts
Just how do you shoot 4 safes full of handguns regularly? How many rounds do you put through each per month or per year?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm fortunate to have enough property to have a range in my backyard. 50yd pistol and 1000yd rifle. Also, I consider reloading to be a hobby, so ammo costs are relatively low.

According to my logbooks, I average about 3k rds a week through my "collection". I'm on the line anywhere from 30minutes to 5hrs on any given day. It's my form of stress relief.

Perhaps I was misleading in my comment above. The 4 safes only hold a total of seventy-two guns. 49 rifles (majority C&R) and 23 handguns.

I hope I have explained myself enough to satisfy BillD....

Now back to the topic...

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
BillD:

Keep pinching those pennies, and squeezing those nickels (or at least, loading those same .45acp brass cases 'til they get all silvery-looking), and someday you can get one of those treasured LW Commanders! ;) On this thread's topic, I see nothing wrong with having several of the same models, to spread out the wear and tear somewhat; I have, oh, let's say between 3 and 6 of the 5" Norinco 1911s alone, all tricked out about the same. One or two are even stored "off the premises" someplace to make a successful burglary (not likely, BTW!) of my stately manor somewhat less painful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Calvert1 said:
I'm fortunate to have enough property to have a range in my backyard. 50yd pistol and 1000yd rifle. Also, I consider reloading to be a hobby, so ammo costs are relatively low.

According to my logbooks, I average about 3k rds a week through my "collection". I'm on the line anywhere from 30minutes to 5hrs on any given day. It's my form of stress relief.

Perhaps I was misleading in my comment above. The 4 safes only hold a total of seventy-two guns. 49 rifles (majority C&R) and 23 handguns.

I hope I have explained myself enough to satisfy BillD....

Now back to the topic...
:rock:

It seems to me a lady who has 1000 dresses would need 1000 pairs of shoes to go with them. Not that Calvert1 is a lady but I can certainly see why he NEEDS that many firearms. I only wish I NEEDED half as many as he does. What a lucky bastard :) He wouldn't by chance have a single daughter of marriageable age would he???

Jim

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL...I have many more than I need...but not half as many as I WANT! :D

And to answer your other question: Sorry...no daughters here. :) Just a very understanding wife!

·
Registered
504 Posts
HEY JIM FALUNGA! Nice to see you here on the 11forum!

I like diversity. I have a commander, now I'm getting a full size 1911A1 WW2 reproduction, then I'll maybe get another Commander in SS.

It's all good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts