1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 22 LR pistol to supplement my 45 shooting. I was able to buy the pistol for about the cost of a case of 45 rds. A case of 45 ammo is about 250 bucks or so for American Eagle and Winchester White Box (both rounds I prefer for practice) whereas, 1,000 rds of 22's run about 25 bucks. Here is the way I see it: One could shoot 50-100 rds of 45 ammo and maybe another 150-200 rds of 22. Plus you don't experience the same amount of fatigue that you would if all your shots came out of a 45. You are still improving your shooting form/skills while keeping costs in check. I know, I should reload but I am really not interested in doing that. So, what do you think? Was it a good idea or not?

------------------

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have tried this, It did'nt work for me. Theirs nothing like the real thing! I practice with my ipsc(major) loads and my ipsc gun(same feel). The amount you shoot is'nt as important as the quality of your shoot. my two cents, Sounds like you dont reload? If not you should, you could shoot more for the same $$$

·
Registered
688 Posts
Try a .22 conversion kit. It's supposed to simulate .45 recoil. Never tried one myself, so I can't say how well it works.

Eddie

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If it will enhance your shooting in general and re-enforce the principles of basic marksmanship, then in my opinion, it is a good thing.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Good move. For a start, a good .22 pistol is an essential in anyone's battery IMO.

The same basic principles to shooting any .22 pistol well apply equally to a service pistol. And they are indeed, very cheap to feed.

Have fun!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did I read that right? 25 bucks for a brick of 22s? Wow! Are they match grade or something? I'm used to paying no more than 15 bucks for mine, and that's only when I can't find a sale on somewhere.

As to the 22: I always start off my shooting session with my old Mk I. I've been doing that for years, and it works for me. I go through 50 rounds of 22 (or less) then start in on the other guns. I try to shoot all my guns every session, even if it's only a few rounds, but if for some reason I don't, I always have at least 50 rounds of 22s to start the session.

The 22 is also good for practicing new ideas or techniques just to see if they're worth spending time and ammo to develop.

And yes, I do reload.

I think you had a good idea.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think it's a good idea, but the recoil level between the two is pretty wide. If you are not acclimated to the recoil, muzzle blast, and muzzle flip of the 45 ACP, then you will still have trouble shooting it. But the plus side is you'll be a really good shot with the 22 lr. I'm not knocking the 22 lr as a training tool, but it does have its limitations in that role. It may cost more to reload, but I feel it is a better way to go. I started out with a lighter load for practice (4.0 grains Bullseye under a 200 grain SWC lead bullet) and gradually work the load up (5.1 Bullseye with the same bullet) as I got comfortable with the recoil, muzzle blast, and muzzle flip.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Doesn't hurt to have a 22 pistol around for some fun plinking and valuable trigger time. However, I've found that a routine schedule of methodical dry-fire practice with my 1911 has proven most beneficial in improving my skills in shooting them.

Rick

------------------
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
As mentioned, the best way to go is with a .22 conversion. They have them for 1911s and for Glocks (maybe others?). You get to use the same frame, so you have the same trigger feel. The slide is a little lighter and the recoil is less, but it is as close to an approximation as you can get.

Buying another gun is fine, maybe better in some ways not directly associated with working on your .45 skills, and can help with some general skills development, but it will be a totally different gun with a totally different gun feel.

Heck, shooting a rifle will help to learn basic shooting skills such as breathing, but it isn't the same as shooting a pistol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Shooting a .22 will definitely help you improve trigger squeeze, sight alignment, etc. But shooting it alone won't help you shoot .45 better. You'll develop your technique, but you will have to shoot the .45 a lot to master it. The differences between the two pistols will also make a difference. Dry fire your .45 as part of your practice. Trigger squeeze is a killer for many.

[This message has been edited by BKC45ACP (edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I shoot 50- 100 rnds of .45 evry Fri. nite and then about 500 rnds of .22 for fun and basics from a Ruger Mark 11. Love it. There is more to shooting than just shooting your carry piece, or your target .45. or single action .45LC,. Shooting should be fun, enjoyable, and training. Not only shoot different guns, shoot different targets, pins, empty cans, empty shotguns shells, Whatever! Oh yeah,,Walmart has Federal .22's 550 box for $8.95. Best I've found for quality .22 ammo. You can get cheaper, but the stuff is crap.

[This message has been edited by 173abn (edited 10-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 173abn (edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Two years ago I bought a 4" Ruger 22/45. 30 thousand rounds later I would highly recommend it. It has roughly the same grip configuration & sight radius as my full-sized 1911s. I still do reload for my .45 ACPs, about 10 thousand rounds a year. As a novice shooter then, it definitely helped me with the basics of eye-hand coordination and marksmanship. I joke with sincerity, "After 10 thousand rounds I started to get the hang of pistol shooting. After 20 thousand rounds I saw definite improvement."
I use $8.97 Federal 550 rounds ammo from WalMart. Most of all, it is FUN!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chico,
Funny you should mention the 22/45 as that is exactly what I bought.

A note on the ammo - This is Winchester Power Points in 40 GR. They run 13.99 per 500 rds here. I use this ammo in my 10/22T as well. I know I could buy cheaper ammo but I really like this stuff.
After putting 2,500 rds through my 45 in just over a month something had to give. My budget cannot continue to sustain that much punishment on a monthly basis.
Oldcolt

------------------

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the kimber .22 conversion and really like it. It has no where near the recoil of a .45 though. I always, always, always make sure I start and end with a couple of strings of .45 though, to make sure that the practice with the .22 carries over to the .45. If I can't group my .45s like I can the .22s, tehn it isn't helping (it may be fun, but it isn't helping). Plus, those first few .45s after an hour of .22s hits like a sledge hammer!! It really makes you focus on your grip. Plus, the .22 is nice for first timers, nervous women, or kids, just make sure you have them shoot an intermediate cartridge like a .38 or 9mm in between to prepare them for the .45, else all that no-flinching training may go right out the window. LAter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
re: Anyone else do this

I know this is an old post, but I gotta say that any shooting is good. Reloading is the best way that I know of to go broke.
Just use the Gunner's Expense Equasion to prove this.

Reloading=shooting the same number of rounds as buying
for half the money...Therefore...One can shoot ten times as much without feeling guilty...Simple.

Go one better and cast your own bullets...The formula changes
to the cube of the original...or 1000 times as much.

Seriously...Reclaimed wheel weights and buying powder and primers in bulk will give up .45 ammo for about 2.75 cents a round. Can't buy .22's much cheaper than that, and shootin a
.22 is kinda like kissin' your sister. it's ok, but it just don't
do much for ya...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I been lookin at gettin a .22 handgun as well .
I like the Browning Buckmark but might get a revolver instead . I
can't decide . My dealer HAD 2 nice bucks last winter but they are long gone now . Of course .

Besdides , My son would benefit from a .22 as well .

·
Registered
780 Posts
I did the same thing about a year ago. I an't afford to shoot .45 all the time. The way I look at it is trigger time is trigger time no matter what you are shooting. I bought a S&W 22A (I know, I know) with a 7" barrel. It is VERY accurate. Probably the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. I can work on the basics without spending any money. Makes my wife happy too!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I shoot a "Ton" of .22 everytime I go to the range. My range sessions usually start out with 100 to 200 rounds of heavy stuff, .45 or 357Sig (usually both), then .22. I always shoot the heavy rounds first because I have a hard time going from light to heavy (takes too long to adjust to the recoil for me) but NO problem going from heavy to light.

Trigger time is trigger time. The more time you have to work on your sight picture, breathing, and trigger control the better. And to be able to shoot 500 rounds of .22 ($8.50 at Wal-Mart) for less than 50 rounds of .45 ($12.50 at Wal-Mart) is a big plus!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts