1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is it just me? Took my two EB’s out today for a much needed range session. I love shooting, but there are a lot of things I’d rather do than clean up after. Just part of owning fine 1911’s, I guess 😂

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,394 Posts
What bothers me more than cleaning, is understating of the time requirement to make it seem less onerous.
I'll read, "Oh, it's no big deal, five minutes and you're done!"
Even a minor, field-strip cleaning takes 20 minutes, and a full strip and deep clean is close to an hour.

·
Registered
15,665 Posts
In the words of my Drill Sgt. - "don't worry - you'll get used to it". Free tip - buy a small air compressor. Every man needs one in their garage anyway....... Just soak the gun down, brush it and blow it. Lube.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
In the words of my Drill Sgt. - "don't worry - you'll get used to it". Free tip - buy a small air compressor. Every man needs one in their garage anyway....... Just soak the gun down, brush it and blow it. Lube.
:biglaugh::biglaugh: He was right, you know.

Today, I live by "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it".

·
Administrator
74,416 Posts
It takes a long time if you're a clean-freak. If you simply get the worst of the gunk out, wipe it off and swab the bore it isn't so bad. The trick is to not wait until the inside of your pistol looks like a 20 year-old sewer pipe to finally get around to cleaning it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nope. I like cleaning my guns. I find it therapeutic. I clean my guns after every range session. I expect maximum performance and therefore take the time to clean and inspect after each use. Same as my tools and car. Not so much my condo though. Pretty much performs the same whether I clean the bathroom every week or every few weeks:biglaugh:..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Other than getting to clean and inspect the parts after a range trip, you can see the attention to detail that went into the manufacturing of an Ed Brown pistol. From what I've seen with my Ed Browns, they are definitely as nice inside as they are on the outside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like to go along the mantra of grab a drink, put on something good whether music or movie, usually Lonesome Dove, and begin. At some point the drinking and Gus and Call grab the attention but that's why it's fun to rotate which guns get cleaned first each time.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
It's not something I look forward to, but it's not too bad.
It takes a long time if you're a clean-freak. If you simply get the worst of the gunk out, wipe it off and swab the bore it isn't so bad.
If I was using a handful of different products to clean (and I felt the need to degrease the gun every time I cleaned it) and lube the gun, or if I detail stripped the gun every time, I'd like it a whole lot less.

Using a quality CLP product for cleaning and lubrication, one that allows me to wipe most of the gunk off with a paper towel, makes it a more pleasurable experience.

·
Administrator
74,416 Posts
In fact, during this hunker down crap, I have time to clean them more than once and have more than one cold one.
This hunker down crap has actually given me a chance to go through my entire gun collection and clean every single one of them. Never before in human history have all my guns been clean and freshly-oiled at the same time. :dope:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a DIY dunk tank made from a 5-gallon plastic paint bucket with lid. Inside is a smaller bucket with plenty of holes in the sides. 1 gallon low odor mineral spirits & 1 quart of DEXRON ATF. The tank works great for barrels, springs, mag tubes, etc.

Some FP-10, Kroil & a Bore-Snake or two for quick & easy cleanings is real convenient.

Be careful with Duty Treat type finishes like Dan Wesson uses. Breakfree & other CLP products will stain the Duty Treat. FP-10 is the recommended oil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or is it just me? Took my two EB’s out today for a much needed range session. I love shooting, but there are a lot of things I’d rather do than clean up after. Just part of owning fine 1911’s, I guess 😂

I don’t mind cleaning my 1911s, but revolvers are another story, especially stainless ones. It’s a pain getting the powder rings off the cylinder!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I enjoy cleaning my higher end 1911s because while doing it reminds me of just how well everything is fitted, the quality parts used and the attention to detail that goes in to the build. The end result, at least for me, keeps my confidence level high and compounds my level of owner satisfaction.

As far as my other guns, I really don't mind because I was taught years ago, to take care of my sh*t. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most of the time I really enjoy cleaning my guns, I want them clean and confident in how they will perform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,654 Posts
This works for me.

We clean our guns once in a while. But we do not get carried away.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't like the disassembly because that is physically difficult. I do like to oil them and reassemble them, though.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts