1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I bought a Colt .380 govt. model a few weeks back, and it has some problems I'm trying to work out. My main problem is that the disconnector is binding behind the trigger connector. Whenever I drop the mag out with the gun on it's right side, the connector falls out of place, and the disconnector drops down too low. Then I get the hammer following the slide back up during firing. My sear spring clip is missing and one is on the way. Does this hold the trigger connector in place?
Help !

Scott.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Call Colt. I know there was at least one factory modification on the Colt .380. Get a manual for the gun also. GLV

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Call Colt and get the Factory Handbook that came with the gun originally - it explains how your situation happens and how not to do it again! I believe they are free for the asking - and the gun is being put back in production, I hear.

If you take the left grip panel off I seem to recall you can see what to do with a thin screwdriver blade. The short answer is don't push the ejector down too far or it will go "over center" (spring loaded) and create your problem. Some of the disassembly books at Borders or Barnes and Noble probably cover this as well.

Warmly, Col.Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just called Colt. Ahh, the good old Colt service. You want a book? $10 and you can have a book. Sorry, but they can keep it. It's more of a principle to me than the $10.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't know what you asked for, but I would be amazed if you asked for an owners' manual and were refused one.

Do not attempt to insert a magazine until the ejector is restored to its proper position.

See if this helps:

1. Remove slide and grips.
2. Cock hammer and turn pistol upside down (leave it upside down throughout the remainder of the procedure).
3. If the ejector doesn't fall back into position by itself, use a small screwdriver or similar to move the sear spring away from the ejector, and a similar instrument to move the ejector back into position.
4. Do not push the ejector back down into the frame again in the future.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Colt will send me one (an owners manual) but for $10. Since the gun is out of production, they have to have more books printed up. At least that's their excuse. Anyhow, I fixed the problem of the disconnector lodging behind the trigger extension. I replaced the plastic trigger with an aluminum SM&A trigger and a shim (washer) in between the trigger extension and the inside of the trigger so the extension does not wiggle side to side. the problem was when a magazine is out of the gun and the gun was leaned to the right, ( as it is during a reload in your right hand) the trigger extension would fall over, out from underneath the disconnector. When the mag. was inserted it would bind up everything inside. But it is rock solid now, and I'm moving onto other mods. Such as the SM&A stainless guide rod and different springs, novak sights, dehorn and refinish, hand made grips-smooth cherry wood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts