1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else with spots on side of SS slide?

I have a new Champion. (it shoots great but that is not this thread)..
As soon as I took it out of the box I noticed that the left slide of the slide has about 5 to 6 small spots. these spots appear as slightly grey compared the the nice finish on the SS slide. When I worked in a machine shop we would see this as "hard spots" in the alum we mahcined. Not sure if this is the same thing in the SS? The finish other then that is great and as mentioned about it shoots great no a one FTF or stovepipe not a thing just shoots away with 3 types of ammo. I have emailed SA and have an offer from them to look at the slide they even said trhey would pay for the retunr ship (now I am impressed).. I may do this but I need this gun back for a gun show intwo weeks..

Any comments? Any ideas how to maybe fix this at home?? She said I wold only need to return the slide.. I am concerned the "cure" migh be worse then the "illiness".. read other reports of their work being less then "quality" ..

I thought I would be fine with the spots but my others do not show this and look great ..
I hope someone has a mgic cure?? I doubt a 00 steel wool would do it as the sopts appear deep about 1/4 inch away from each other...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to hear about your marks...I have a SS Loaded that I bought NIB...it had a fuzzy area around the serial numbers on the slide...I was a bit disappointed (yeah, so I'm a little anal about things like that :D). I may end up trying to fix it myself, but I don't think I'd send mine back to the factory...it takes them quite a while (prob at least 4 weeks...usually more from what I've read on the boards...at least for function problems).

If it were me, I'd try to forget about the marks...then, when that doesn't work :biglaugh:, do some research on how to best remove them and have at it :)

EDIT:

I just read that the marks were deep...if they are more than surface probs, I would consider sending it back. I'm not a metallurgist, but there could be problems other than the marks. Chances are they'd send you a new slide, which could mean function problems...it's really a crapshoot.

Travis

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well.. it is on the way back but som egood news

I decided this gun will be around for a while so I want to be the one to mess up the appearance. Due to this and due to the fact that what you stated came to me also that maybe the spots are an indicator of a material problem.. I decided to ship it back.. I got in contact with SA and they provided me very quickly with a PS account number to charge the reutnr ot them ...

The will look at the spots and determin if it needs replacing and/or just a refinihsing... I didi note that some wonder if the sopts are an indicato of worst problems...

I iwll keep you posted I ask the cusomter service person to email me as we go.. You all will know when it returns and how fact they get the work done and the Quality of the work.. I am worried about someonf the war stories about the "cure" being worst then the "illiness" lets see....

·
Registered
108 Posts
My new stainless loaded has them too. I havn't had the chance to see if I can polish them out or not. Pretty disappointing since I didn't notice them until I got it home. I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to send it back to SA though.

Keep us informed of what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts