1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about giving it a go, 1911 panels don't look like they would be too difficult for a woodworking amatuer (since they're relatively flat all around). Has anyone ever tried this on their own??? If so how long did it take for you to decide this was more than you thought it would be? Any tips or hints? I would also like to put in some medallions and would REALLY appreciate any tips with that one. I'm not too concerned with checkering (seems like it would cover up the beautiful grain of burled Walnut or Thuya)

The main reason for this is that nice panels are very pricey ($50-$80) and I've found several exotic woodshops that will sell samples of their wood in sizes that are more than adequate for about $10.00 or so. Plus I don't see too many nice burled grips floating around.

Thanks.

Also, if this is the incorrect forum...please feel free to move as needed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey tell me or post a picture when you make them.I'll buy some if they turn out real nice.I have The Gun Digest Book of the .45 from 1992 and it show's how to make grip's for the .45 as well as tools.If you want me to make you copies I will and send them to you.Just let me know or if you have any ?'s.

Good Luck and remember me when you are making those first grip's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My father was reparing the hardwood floor in our house many years ago. I have been using the wood for many projects includeing a grip for my 1911. The wood was free but hard as a rock. I sanded for hours. For practive get some pine scrap from a house construction site, easy to work with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be happy to post some pics when I get it done... I've got the wheels turning in my mind now. Just gotta get the wood and get to work. Maybe I can convince my wife that this would be a good reason to get a digital camera!

·
Registered
370 Posts
i got some thick sheets of lexan plexiglas that i made a grip set from, still unfinished, need to start over really.
they can buff out to clear after sanding, and i was thinking about painting some sort of design on the back for something different. the lexan is soft so it works almost like wood.
if i ever finish a set ill post pics, i got the idea from a grip set i saw on a WW2 era 1911 that was made from the canopy of a WW2 aircraft, the maker put a old B&W pic of his girlfriend behind one of the panels.

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts