1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ad in Brownells says:

"No-fail extractor operates with long-lasting coil springs for increased service life; provides enhanced, reliable performance for self-defense and competitor shooters. Machined from super strong, alloy steel; specially hardened and heat treated to last indefinitly. Installs easily in Series 70 1911 Autos without slide modifications."

One of the guys that I shoot with swares by these things. But $50+ for a coil spring operated internal extractor?

Anyone have one of these things? Whacha think about it?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I've got one in a 40 S&W that I took in trade from a friend. I must admit that it works very nicely. I'm sure I would have paid the $$$ for one but since it came in this particular gun I like it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just talked to a smith today - and he convinced me - they look much stronger - they take the need for the spring to be in the bend of the extractor and put it into springs, so the rest of the extractor can be larger, sturdier, no more bending the extractor to tune it

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've been told they're the -best- for high-pressure calibers, such as 10mm, .40 S&W, and 9x23mm, but unnecessary for .45. That said, they certainly can't hurt in .45. These are the real answer to all this BS controversy over those piece of crap external extractors... this way you can have a sprung extractor and not give up the ability to replace it with readily available parts.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
have them in both my supers, they are basicly a pivoting internal extractor, much superior to both a regular and external extractor. your right on the intial high cost, but if you shoot alot, you are going to replace a standard extractor eventually. if it doesn't break, it will loose tension, a replacement regular extractor will run you 20 or 30 buck. with the aftec, if it looses tension, you replace the coil springs with are a about a buck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have three AFTECs

Two are in full sized Springfield 1911-A1s, and one in a Springfield Ultra Compact (all in .45 ACP). Though they probably don't work any better that a properly-tuned, top quality conventional extractor, they are a lot more convenient for me, since they drop in and give pretty much dummy-proof functioning after that. For me, that's worth the extra money.

My two full-sized pistols run as well as they ever did (which is pretty darn well) after I installed AFTECs to replace worn or not-ideally-springy extractors.

My Ultra Compact runs as well too (which is not very well), but I don't think the extractor is to blame for that.

My opinion is that AFTEC extractors work well and for me the convenience of a drop in installation and never having to mess with them again justifies the expense. If your conventional extractor is working, I'd leave it in, but if you need an extractor this is a pretty good choice.

Be aware that these things have two really small coil springs and a collar that will probably get lost right away if you ever have to remove your extractor "in the field." Thankfully, I haven't had any problem with crud in the extractor tube and I pretty much leave the AFTEC alone. The unit does come with a spare set of springs.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
AFTEC

Joe, I was having all kind of trouble with my TLE until Zollie insisted that I install the AFTEC. The problems went away.

Sam Caldwell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts