1911Forum banner

Anyone had a problem with Powrball ammo feeding?

1271 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Doug M.
I had purchased 3 boxes to use in my 3" Kimber as the carry ammo, not realizing it's +P. For various reasons, I decided to switch to Gold Sabers in the 3" and so was planning to load up my Kimber Warrior (night stand gun) with the Powrball.

I went to the range to confirm zero yesterday, and had my first FTF with the Warrior. The Warrior has performed flawlessly up until this point. I started on a loaded chamber and it was the first round out of the magazine that caused a problem.

I might have had a weak grip and been limp wristing it. Is it possible that contributed to the problem?

Anyone else ever had an issue with Powrball feeding?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Bad mags having probs feeding from the 7 or 8 +1. Some mags just won't shoot the +1 scenario. When I was testing ammo for my CCW gun that was one of the things I tested for, reliability in a dirty gun (500 rds of lead before shooting my carry ammo choices) and the +1 condition that I'll be carrying when concealed. Tracy

· Registered
46 Posts
Tim K said:
I had purchased 3 boxes to use in my 3" Kimber as the carry ammo, not realizing it's +P. For various reasons, I decided to switch to Gold Sabers in the 3" and so was planning to load up my Kimber Warrior (night stand gun) with the Powrball.

I went to the range to confirm zero yesterday, and had my first FTF with the Warrior. The Warrior has performed flawlessly up until this point. I started on a loaded chamber and it was the first round out of the magazine that caused a problem.

I might have had a weak grip and been limp wristing it. Is it possible that contributed to the problem?

Anyone else ever had an issue with Powrball feeding?
Tim K,

PowRball should feed even better than hardball! The polymer tip slides much easier on the feedramp than the hard jacket material. Let me know if the problem persists for you.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael,

I've run numerous brands and types of ammo in the Warrior, both ball and HP, and the Pow'r ball is the first to have a problem. I absolutely agree it ought to feed at least as well as ball, if not better.

At $1 a shot, I don't plan to do any more testing. I have just enough left to keep the gun loaded plus a spare mag. I'll keep it around for a year and then shoot it up when it's time for the annual carry-ammo replacement.

My hope is that I somehow contributed to the misfeed with a weak grip. I've experienced that problem back in my Glock days, but this is the first potential incident with a full size 1911.

· Registered
106 Posts
Could be a couple of things. It may be that the Powerball is throwing off the timing of the Warrior. A 165 gr. that is +p can get that slide moving quickly. Also, how many rounds do you have thru your Warrior? It may be time to replace the recoil spring. Or, it may be that your Warrior doesn't like the Powerball. I had a Glock 30 once that would feed emply shell casings but refused to work with Ranger T +p's.
Do you really need to carry +p in the Warrior? Try some Cor-bon DPX or Golden Saber 185 +P if you feel the need. But, If the 230 gr. GS was working well stick with it. It's a really good round.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The warrior only has about 500 rounds thru it, so I'm fairly certain it's not the spring.

I don't actually want or need +P, I simply ended up with a few boxes of the Powrball from an experiment trying to get a 3" kimber to feed relaibly. While they fed fine in that one, I broke the spring guide and decided to go back to standard velocity.

I guess to feel absolutely confident, I'll probably go back to gold sabers.

Too bad to have thrown away almost $80 in carry ammo that I don't feel comfortable carrying.

· Registered
4 Posts
PowrBall SOLVED a jamming problem for me

I had an Armscor Jam-amatic 1911 clone, that never fired a full magazine w/o some sort of trouble... friend gave me some .45ACP PowrBall during a plinking session, and it was like 100 Octane/Jet A!!!
That lousy gun gobbled up and spat out every round, and with incredible accuracy. I still got rid of the gun, but am a believer in everything from Cor-Bon, so much that my defense ammo is either 100% or 50% PowrBall. By all means test any ammo you intend to bet your life on, but try this stuff 1st.
If you are disappointed in any way, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

· Registered
51 Posts
Tim K said:
The warrior only has about 500 rounds thru it, so I'm fairly certain it's not the spring.

I don't actually want or need +P, I simply ended up with a few boxes of the Powrball from an experiment trying to get a 3" kimber to feed relaibly. While they fed fine in that one, I broke the spring guide and decided to go back to standard velocity.

I guess to feel absolutely confident, I'll probably go back to gold sabers.

Too bad to have thrown away almost $80 in carry ammo that I don't feel comfortable carrying.

Where are you located? If you're local, I may be interested in taking the rest of that Powrball off your hands...

· Registered
286 Posts
Me

I tried it in my Wilson's (2 KZs, one each size, and a Professional which I sold when it could not be gottten to eject away from my poor head); none of them will tolerate it. I may have some left, but damned if I would waste the time or effort on using it. I think the remaining cartridges are in moon clips for my 625.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.