1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about having a standard GI springfield done in the duracoat finish. Was wondering if anyone had this done and how well they liked it. I just wanted to have something a little different, and a certified duracoat refinisher is close by. Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
DNS said:
I am thinking about having a standard GI springfield done in the duracoat finish. Was wondering if anyone had this done and how well they liked it. I just wanted to have something a little different, and a certified duracoat refinisher is close by. Thanks
I did it last year. Gun was absolutely gorgeous until I started shooting it again. Within a few weeks, DuraCoat was flaking off all the primary wear areas and anywhere my Kydex holster routinely contacted the gun.. I was told at the 2005 Shot show that my experience was not the normal and may have been the result of improper surface prep, application or curing.

That probably is the case as my gunsmith at the time had just started using t DuraCoat. Anyway, a few months later the extractor failed in my DuraCoadted gun. By that time, it had started looking like a dalmation so I had the gun hard chromed by APW down in Florida. My advice is make sure who ever does the DuraCoat knows the process well. It seems to hold up very well on friends rifles and shotguns. But, rifles/shotguns aren't drawn or holstered repeatedly on a daily basis either. I'd have perfered a black finish on my pistol but I've warmed up to hard chrome.

·
Registered
99 Posts
By far the best spray on finish that I have found is NIC Industries Cera Coat. If you have the equipment and time do it yourself. If not find someone who works with this finish. They have both an air cure and oven cure process.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You might want to check out the sigforum, there is a company called CCR that has done a number of pistols listed there, have not heard anything bad about them. I had my 225 refinished recently, looks great.
Mikehp

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cera coat - especially the oven cure version has some of the best properties of any non plated gun finish. For best results it should be applied over phosphate. I have used it on small parts - air cure version, 120 grit alox blast (not bead blast) to match "Black T". It is very wear resisitant and the air cure version is at least as tough as black T.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Norrell's Moly Resin

As long as you are researching different finishes, look into Moly Resin. I've used it before and it's damn near indestructible when done correctly.

Moly Resin

·
Registered
347 Posts
Try Karl Sokol 802 438-5732. He is in West Rutland, Vermont. He is a fulltime gunsmith and he can do both the phosphate and the cera coat. Norrell resin is also good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts