1911Forum banner

Anyone have an Ultra Carry I?

1895 34
I have found an Ultra Carry I, not II for sale. Does anyone here have one? How are they compared to a II? I did a search and cannot find anything on the model I.
thanx
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
IndianaDean, if you are wanting a 3" 1911 Kimber! I would get that gun if it is in good shape. That is kinda a rare find (not that they are worth more or is a collecter or anything). The difference is simple, no Schwartz FPS. This was also before the external extractor came out and the gun should have the internal extractor. FPS = series II, well into the series II production Kimber eventually changed all .45's other than a select few to the EE design. Seem's as if Kimber is switching back to the IE's from reports of recent purchases.

The reason you cannot find anything on series I or model I is due to the fact that there is no such thing. Pre series II is what these gun's are or just Ultra Carry no Ultra Carry I.

CG.

· Registered
69 Posts
Peronsally I would go with the series II unless you are getting a good deal on the series I. Just my humble opinion but the series II seems to me the best chopped 1911 on the market and the FPS has no ill effects ont he weapon.

· Registered
735 Posts
Dean you did good brother. TBT is correct in that the FPS is not a big deal but I either disable them by switching FP's (not that I have had any problems with them) or do just as you did, buy a pre series II.

Enjoy it, shoot it, post pic's of it, when you can.

CG.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will. What I'm glad about is getting the internal extractor. My S&W's external extractor has not had any negative feedback so far, but I've seen several negative posts about Kimber's external. I'm thinking their internal works better.
If this guns' truly unfired, I should have a decent weapon on my hands.

Now, if I get my 2nd HK sold, I'm going to have the cash to pick up the NIB Springfield Loaded at my local shop. :rock:

· Registered
115 Posts
Ultra Carry

IndianaDean,

I own a series I stainless Ultra Carry. I got it for ccw. When it arrived, I found it is the most accurate pistol I own out to 15 yds (VERY acceptable for concealed carry). That includes a Kimber TLE, a series 70 Colt commander with a Wilson Combat barrel installed, and several cz's. It has not bobbled at all with any kind of ammo( 700 rds. thus far). You will NOT be disappointed with your purchase. The price was very good also. The only thing I did to mine was after 500 rounds, I changed the recoil spring. I had purchased it used......so I was not sure how many rds. the previous owner had run through it. It was very clean, but wasn't sure.

Take care, Mike Arnold

· Banned
7,478 Posts
No such thing as an Ultra Carry I, Series I, or any "I" for that matter which makes a search difficult. :cool: Your Ultra Carry is just that, an Ultra Carry.

The "Series II" adds the grip activated firing pin interlock. This is [chose one] (1) a desireable safety device or (2) the spawn of Satan. No agreement on this at all.

Your Ultra Carry will not have this device, nor will it have a ramped barrel like the newest models. Should be fine. My Series II has this barrel and hasn't hiccupped.

-- Chuck

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Actually, the shop that has the Springfield also has a new UC II. I believe it has the internal extractor. I might pick it up instead and have a 2nd UC (II of course) on my hands for ccw. The guy on gunbroker that sold it had it listed as a UC I, hence my belief that was what it was called.

What is the Kimber Exchange Program I heard about, regarding the recoil spring?

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Yep, mine has what is referred to as the two peice feed ramp (not the ramped barrell), internal extractor, and no extra unneeded parts. Wouldn't own it any other way. Very good little gun and has been ultra reliable.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
I've owned an Ultra Carry for years. It's a wonderful little gun that's ideal for concealed carry defensive purposes. Mine has an extremely low serial number and therefore probably is old and early. It would embarrass me to estimate how many rounds it has shot so far. Except for a time when I shot out the recoil spring assembly because I hadn't changed it for more than 5,000 rounds there have been no failures of any kind. Kimber provided me a free replacement recoil spring assembly and suggested that I change them more frequently. I bought another so I could take advantage of that exchange policy you mentioned. The idea is to send Kimber the old recoil spring assembly so they replace it with a new one at lower cost. I don't remember the cost. I bought the spare so I could keep the gun in function while the exchange was taking place. Kimber has the exchange price somewhere on its web site. You can phone the Custom Shop (which handles such things) and ask Dennis the price. I'd advise getting a spare recoil assembly from Kimber anyway.

I have experience with the Series II Ultras too and don't find anything wrong with them. ChuckS is right in suggesting that disputes over the Series II tend to have a quasi-religious quality and haven't much practical value. I'd choose an original Ultra Carry (what we now call a "Series I") over a Series II if given the choice, but my reason is that I've spent so much of my life with that kind of 1911 I can do complete dissassemblies and reassemblies very quickly with my eyes closed or while talking about something else. I'd be perfectly happy with a Series II Ultra though. No big deal.

$550 is a good price for an original Ultra Carry in good condition. A few years ago I'd see them at gun shows. My recollection is that they were going for about $600 and up then. I haven't seen even one for sale in about a year and one-half so I don't know the going price now, if there is one. My guess is that one in good condition would sell fast for $650 in the right market.

These pistols hold up remarkably well by the way. Mine looks barely used and some people have asked if it was a new entry in the Kimber line. Take care of yours and it should outlast you. I haven't encountered any .45 ACP factory ammunition mine won't handle. I don't use reloads. I keep mine clean and well lubricated.

Don't use Simple Green to clean the frame: Simple Green eats anodyzed aluminum. Use soapy hot water to clean it, rinse it well in hot running water, and wipe it dry with paper towels. Don't polish the frame or bead blast it either. Simple Green and hot water are good for cleaning the rest of the gun though. An air compressor is useful for final drying.

As for lubrication, there's another area in which religion plays a large role. I slather mine with good lubricants of whatever kind I have at hand. The kind doesn't matter much to me or my guns, although I tend to prefer Eezox now. Tomorrow I might change my mind. Doctrinal matters don't interest me. My own faith is that there needs to be lubrication wherever metal touches metal and that belief works for me. Other people don't like wet guns. I wouldn't either if I had to roll around in sand, but I don't do that.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
IndianaDean said:
Thanks for the info Robert! Very informative.
My pleasure. I suppose I should say that for some reason or other I tend not to have problems of any kind, and those few I do encounter are either easily fixed or entirely my fault--usually the latter. I also do like the little Kimbers and other little handguns very much. Enjoy yours.

· Banned
1,288 Posts
I have never owned an Ultra carry but a good friend has one and I have shot and have tweaked it a bit.

Thing runs great and the little seecamp guiderod is ingenious and works well. The only thing I felt it needed was a bit more recoil spring so I changed the large diameter spring with an appropriately sized piece of a Wolff 24lb spring.

We also added a heavier hammer spring (23#) and flat bottom firing pin stop to slow it down a bit more. The new recoil spring seemed to remove any sluggishness and the mainspring/fpin stop mods theoretically will delay unlocking. Gun is a slick feeder and works great. Kimber did their homework on this gun.

It bucks a bit so the rubber grips come in handy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.