1911Forum banner

Anyone have any experiences with HK G36?

1339 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  LAK
My dept is looking for a replacement for our aging MP5s...anyone familier with HK G36?...any info would be appreciated..MP5 is a tough act to follow.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Originally posted by cc987:
My dept is looking for a replacement for our aging MP5s...anyone familier with HK G36?...any info would be appreciated..MP5 is a tough act to follow.
I wish! As a Civilian, I'm not allowed to even think about black guns. My department here has MP5s, ARs, 870s and a Thompson and an AK!

Are you from the Brentwood in Los Angeles, or another Brentwood?

· Registered
53 Posts
It is not a bad weapon. I have fired only about 30 or so rds through the weapon. I would rather have a Bushmaster M-4 .223. This is because it is cheaper, simpler to clean,get spare parts for, and just as reliable and accurate. HK makes good stuff, but they cost a lot of $$$$.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
Why buy new guns, and go through the cost of retraining for a different weapon all over again? A trooper that already is intimately familiar with a particular item is going to have to start from scratch, all over again. Send the MP5's back to H&K and have them factory-serviced. Any that are well beyond fixing, replace with new ones.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brentwood Nor Cal...I live here but work in amuch busier city nearby...The problem is we made the move from 9mm to 40 cal...HK doesn't make the MP5's in 40 anymore...we have Steyr AUG's as perimeter weapons but are looking at a .223 platform as an entry weapon...For some reason the powers that be don't like the AR15 type weapons although I carried them, and liked them, in the Marines. We will keep our MP5's...but they are tired and have many thousands of rounds through them.

· Registered
274 Posts
Originally posted by cc987:
...we have Steyr AUG's as perimeter weapons but are looking at a .223 platform as an entry weapon...
Strange, I thought the purpose of the AUG's bullpup design was to make it easier to use in close quarters... less barrel out front to get in the way... like the short M4 carbines as opposed to the full-length M16, but more so.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

· Registered
53 Posts
There is the HK-53 which I have also used. It is the same style as the MP-5 so training should be easier. I have used the 53 in a real shooting and it was reliable. I was using Rem 60 gr JHP Match, .223 ammo. Our team later switched to the M-4 Bushmaster for the reasons posted earlier.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
Even if H&K do not make them in .40, I'd be surprized if they couldn't or wouldn't service them. Any that are beyond servicing, replace them with MP5's in 9mm. Same weapon, same firing drills etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.