1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
I met someone out on the range who had one. He was very pleased with it. He had a std. rifle with a medium weight barrel. It was the first time I shot a FAL, but from what I could tell, it was pretty accurate and look very well made. From what I've heard on ar15.com, etc., DSA builds an excellent product. Soldier of Fortune Magazine loves them too. Only problem is the lack of a damned flash supressor, but that is not DSA's fault.

themao

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
DSA makes the best. You've gotta be a Philadelphia lawyer to build a legal FAL, DSA makes several models. I had a DSA carbine with an integral brake. LOUD.
Another reputable source is Arizona Response. I'm sure there's many more I don't know. I traded my DSA to buy a preban N.M. M1A. http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

·
Registered
975 Posts
Why would you want to get a preban M1A? Just for the bayonet lug? The new M1A's have flash suppressors, what more do you need? A bayonet I guess would be useful for stabbing deer I guess. I just can't justify the extra cost of buying a preban M1A verses a preban AR-15 or G3A3.

themao

PS: I wouldn't mind a bayonet I guess in the end. It would be useful on occasion

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
themao....Jeeeeeeze man, what did I say to offend you? I got a chance to buy a national match m1a for $1200. It was preban an I mention it. So What? I'm done posting here cause of this crap.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I didn't say anything to offend you. I was just wondering what you have to gain by buying a preban M1A rifle. Usually, prebans go for a lot higher price than postban rifles. Since it was only $1200, you got a great deal! With AR-15s on the otherhand, you have to pay out the a$$ to get one with a friggin flash suppressor. $1400-2000 verses $700-900.

themao

101 Posts
Originally posted by byron2112:
These look pretty promising .I wonder if these are top quality or if someone else builds better?
I bought one almost a year ago. To be very honest, I still haven't had it out to the range. The closest rifle range is 90 minutes from my house, so shooting it hasn't been a priority (there is a handgun range just 10 minutes away, so I normally go there and shoot handguns).

The fit of the rifle is top notch. The workmanship is great. I disassembled, cleaned and oiled it shortly after I bought it, and all the work that went into it was done well.

The feel of the rifle is great. My friend and I are both ex-Army infantrymen, and we both feel this should be the standard-issue weapon for the military. The military teaches us that the enemy should be engaged within 300 meters, so the carbine's shorter barrel is great for open terrain as well as urban, city-type fighting. It is much safer and easier to clear a building with this rifle than one with a longer barrel.

Right caliber, too. The 7.62 will defeat lightly armored objects like car doors much better than the 5.56.

This rifle is tops. Visit the DSA website at http://www.dsarms.com and look for the link that will take you to test reviews. Soldier of Fortune and Gun Tests loved it.

Take care,
Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
DSA makes a lot of nice FAL's. I was at Knob Creek yesterday and saw the complete line. They do have a new STG kit gun that I hear some are getting for about $750 which is a great buy (the one that lists for $995 on their website). I had a STG built by Century Gun Works (not to be confused with Century Arms) and love it. Of course it cost $, but you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

MD

101 Posts
Originally posted by In service to His Majesty:
I bought one almost a year ago. To be very honest, I still haven't had it out to the range.
I corrected the situation today. Went out to a 50 yd. indoor range and put about 25 rounds through her (due to one hour range time costing $15).

It took me a while to get the gas setting right. Finally ended up at number 4, cranked it one more to 3 as the owners manual recommends.

Had some 3-shot groups where all three went into one hole. I would say these groups were about .4"-.5". Had some others open up due to the smokiness of the range and the masking tape I used as pasties obscured my orange circle.

Some malfunctions after the gas setting was established, but these were due to one faulty magazine (out of 6) and a rifle that wasn't oiled enough. The rifle was much too dry. Any autoloader I've ever had behaves badly when it isn't lubricated properly, so I take no offense with DSA.

All shooting was done with English surplus ammo from 1989 (small 20-round white boxes labeled L2A2). I was a little mad because the range owner wouldn't allow my PMC MilSpec ammo on the range. He put it up to a magnet and the darned bullet stuck! What the heck? Why is there steel in these bullets? This is firmly against the Geneva Convention, so PMC needs to re-label their ammo. It is NOTMilSpec. Sorry about the digression.

Anyway, all went well. I was very happy with the accuracy and function. Plus, I had every guy on the range eyeballing my machine. They were diggin' it. And the muzzle brake does make it go BOOM!

Take care,
Rob

101 Posts
Administrator/Moderator:

I'm sorry. I don't know whether this long gun range report belongs in long guns or range reports. I put it in both. Please close/remove the post in the group I chose incorrectly.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
grrr.
Trying to post a cool pic of a DSA, but HTML is turned off!

[This message has been edited by youngun (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Rob, there is a lot of surplus ammo out there with copper washed steel jacketed bullets. I don't believe a steel jacket is against the Geneva Convention.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
17 Posts
In service to His Majesty,

We`re almost neighbors (94 & Southfield). There are a couple ranges close by.. less than an hour from Trenton. If your intrested in shooting.. let me know and we`ll hook up some time.

CS#158

101 Posts
Originally posted by ChandlerSniper158:
In service to His Majesty,

We`re almost neighbors (94 & Southfield). There are a couple ranges close by.. less than an hour from Trenton. CS#158
What and where are they?

The only indoor range near I know of (allowing centerfire rifle) is Double Action on 14 Mile and Dequindre in Madison Heights.

The outdoor range is a state range called Pontiac Lakes in Pontiac. What is so dumb is the state had one very close to Pontiac Lakes (I believe it was called Bald Mountain). Two state ranges within 10 miles of each other! Bald Mountain closed down. Leave it to the government to build two ranges on top of one another and have none for hundreds of miles after that.

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Island Lake gun range it`s just past Kensington Metropark on I-96, and Livingston Gun club in Brighton.. were members there.. both are 100 yds ranges. Also have Detroit Sportsmans Congress.. that one is a bit of a drive.. it`s in Utica.. about 8 miles North of Double Action on Dequindre, and it`s a 200 yd range. I shoot at Double Action alot thru the winter, might have seen each other there.

Let me know if your intrested in hooking up sometime.

CS#158

[This message has been edited by ChandlerSniper158 (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I finally found a couple of these rifles too check out.The first one was a DSA stg58 put together.Looked real nice,good qualility.This particular one had the metal hand guard and bi-pod.I think it was the 21" barrel.This rifle was a LOAD!I wouldn't want to lug it around.The second rifle was a DSA SA58 16".It was very well finished and felt real solid.The nice thing was that it balanced nicely and felt very handy,almost like a HB AR-15.I could definatley deal with one of these babies!!The only down side is the $1450 price.And this is from a very fair dealer.These guns sure bring a premium(wonder why?)too bad they're not priced more like the AR's or the basic MIA's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts