1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard marginal things about Oly Arms rifle products,but the few things I've read about the Safari Arms pistols seem to be pretty good.Is the quality of these guns close to say......Kimber?Would they be a decent platform for further modification?Their web site seems to indicate alot of hand fitting,which(in my mind)makes the price almost unbelievable.Any and all indepth experiences you all can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks,Byron

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned many guns in my 67 years. My Safari Arms Big Duece is the only one I would never sell or otherwise part with. My son gets it when I can no longer pull the trigger.

·
Registered
54 Posts
While I am by no means an expert shooter, I'm VERY happy with my safari matchmaster. It's easily a step above the kimber pro carry and compact stainless that I have. The only complaint I have is the front strap checkering is obviously cast on, and looks a little cheesy if you look closely. I'd have preferred a smooth front strap, or stippled, etc. I'd say it'd make an excellent starting point for a competition gun. I plan on sending mine to a gunsmith when I get the cash, and decide I can part iwth it for a year.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Byron, I've got a SA Matchmaster, Black Widow and GI Model. Each of these I've owned for many years and many thousands of rounds. They have NEVER failed. EVER. The all steel fingergroove takes some getting used to but once you do it all but dissapears. The Quality of my Matchmaster and Black Widow are Excellent, not to the extent of my Wilson CQB but close enough. The GI model is just that, a GI model but it feeds and function every time the trigger is pulled. I paid $575 for my Matchmaster and the same for my Blackwidow and $375 for my GI Model.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
gray owl,
What's a big duece? Used to have a matchmaster, but never heard of the big duece.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Safari Arms pistols are among the finest made in the industry. I have many S/A pistols, one of my matchmasters has exactly 68,937 rounds through it with NOT ONE SINGLE malfunction attributed to the gun. I did have several failure to feed at rounds 3,766-71 but this was traced to the "el-cheepo" USA magazine I purchased at a gun show for 2 bucks.

As to Olyarms AR15's. If the owner were to give me the factory today, I'd turn him down. I purchased a PCR-00 a while back, when I got it home I found that it would not feed any magazine other than the 10 rounder supplied by the manufacturer. I call Olyarms and shipped my lower to them for fixing, after 8 weeks I received it back, but they had replaced the lower with another one of 1000 times lower quality. It would accept mags but only after slaming them in and yanking them out to change. The stock was so loose it should never have passed quality control and the tooling marks left on the metal was atrocious. I again contacted Olyarms and this time they paid for returning the gun. When I called them after 2 days I told them I wanted a refund, not a replacement, much grumbling later I got my money, I purchased a Rock River Arms lower which worked like a dream, and sold the Olyarms upper and purchased a RRA upper. Never again will I purchase an Olyarms AR15. I own 4 Colt AR-15's, 3 Armalite AR-15's and 2 Bushmaster AR-15's. Now I understand that Norinco is producing for sale in Canada an AR-15 copy, and if it's anything like their 1911 copy, Olyarms is out of business if Norinco is ever allowed to sell in the US.

·
Registered
130 Posts
in all honesty ,i would ship oly's products to obl in the hope he would use them to try to defend himself...the one good thing i can say is : they did refund my money after a six month wait...

------------------
if it weren't for stupidity,most people wouldn't have anything...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently bought a Matchmaster and find it to be very well made. Much better than my Springfield. I agree the front strap checkering looks like they were on a tight budget, would have been better not having any.

Hardly any play in slide to frame fit, shoots better than I can. You only get one mag with it, but for the money $600.00 it`s an exceptional value. The grips come smooth with some sort of scorpion carved in. That lasted about 2 hours. Double diamonds look much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts