1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was shooting my 9 mm ECO on the range today, I had not one, but two magazine failures. In both cases, it appears that the welds holding the bottom plate failed and the bottom simply dropped out of the mag, taking springs, parts and cartridges with it. Since both magazines came with the weapon, I am wondering if Checkmate had any bad batches of magazines. I bought the gun new about three months ago and have fired between 1000-1500 rounds through it. The gun itself has been flawless, the only FTF was today when the bottom dropped out and the next round did not load properly (fairly obvious). I own five Dan Wessons (PM-9, ECO, Guardian (both in 9 mm) and models15-2V and 744VH revolvers), and all have been great; in fact I will go so far as to say that they are my favorite weapons. My biggest concern is that I had been using the ECO as my carry weapon (glad this happened on the range) and all of the rest of my mags are full sized and tend to snag my clothing when used with the ECO. Don't really want to experience this another time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My PM9 came with metal forms. I ad mistakenly purchased some checkmates and was not impressed with the construction.

If you want to try some different mags, the metalform split follower mag is the one to get. If you go to their website, just put in your gun type and it will take you to the right mag and you can match the factory number on Brownells.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did notice 1 of my mags, at least I think it was not both ECO 9 mags, take an extra round. I had to go back and look it up to verify max round count. I keep them at regular max.

As far as the welds failing, I wouldn't be surprised if some stainless salesman sold them the wrong metal, switched alloys on them, and lied about it. That kind of stuff happens in the metals industry all the time. Unscrupulous companies fake mill certs and test reports all the time. We probably know the companies that supply them. Not that it can't have been in the weld process, but I could tell you stories....

It's those criminals that keep our company in business cleaning up their messes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issues

While I was shooting my 9 mm ECO on the range today, I had not one, but two magazine failures. In both cases, it appears that the welds holding the bottom plate failed and the bottom simply dropped out of the mag, taking springs, parts and cartridges with it. Since both magazines came with the weapon, I am wondering if Checkmate had any bad batches of magazines. I bought the gun new about three months ago and have fired between 1000-1500 rounds through it. The gun itself has been flawless, the only FTF was today when the bottom dropped out and the next round did not load properly (fairly obvious). I own five Dan Wessons (PM-9, ECO, Guardian (both in 9 mm) and models15-2V and 744VH revolvers), and all have been great; in fact I will go so far as to say that they are my favorite weapons. My biggest concern is that I had been using the ECO as my carry weapon (glad this happened on the range) and all of the rest of my mags are full sized and tend to snag my clothing when used with the ECO. Don't really want to experience this another time.
I experienced the same issues as above with my 9mm ECO. I had 4 or 5 magazine bottom plates fly off when loading or shooting. They were the metalform magazines.

I have been communicating with DW to try and get to the bottom of problem. Evidently I am the only one communicating with them.

Is anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dan Wesson ECO 9mm magazines

I have also had several bottom plate failures with metal form magazines for the Dan Wesson ECO 9mm. The failures occurred during shooting and loading. Dan Wesson told me they had never seen this issue before.

It may be due to a bad batch of magazines. I sent DW photos and the magazines I have for their consideration.

If anyone else is having this problem it would be useful to share that information here and with DW.

Needless to say, reliable magazines are a must for a carry gun.

The DW ECO is a fantastic gun. Hopefully reliable magazines are available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts