1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I do, and was just wondering. I asked for a catagory for edged weapons in the comments and suggestions section. If any of you do and are interrested, please make a post under my topic in the suggestions forum a the top. Thanks.

mr. pitiful

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yea, but not exactly happy about it. I would carry a gun, but look at my location!

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Do you mean instead of a gun? I don't know the laws of your area. I carry a nice Kershaw or a Benchmade folder clipped to my pocket, along with my Kimber or Glock M32. It's a great emergency tool or last ditch defense weapon if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
BTW, I agree that would be a nice additional forum.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Emerson Commander and Emerson Waved CQC7. It's like Mastercard. I never leave home without 'em.

It's being hashed around about adding it as an additional forum. It might happen it might not. But we hear you and it's under consideration.

Thanks
Ross T.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah. spyderco endura g-10. great, flat knife. i've been thinking about a cold steal recon 1. is the lock on them like a benchmade axis lock? which is better? thanks. also thinking of going tanto. good idea for a forum. you got my vote.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Spyderco Military is the last piece of equipement I take off every night and the first I put on every morning.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
43 Posts
I always carry my M16-14 and Fox OC I am 19 and in Colorado so I can't carry a handgun but feel pretty safe with my FoxOC, the knife is a tool, not a weapon but could be used as my last defense (after running). The last thing I want is a damn knife fight! I spend most of my time at school anyhow (University of Colorado) where carrying a handgun even with a permit is illegal so FoxOC will probably be my primary defense even after I get my CCW.

Matt

[This message has been edited by BeasTboyz (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Why can't we just talk about it in here and in the General and let the moderators figure out if it merits a seperate page.

Knives are great. Two guns would be great too, but my pants are already about to fall down.
Right now, I carry a knife, cel phone, PALM pilot, keys and a wallet. Heck I need a gunbelt to keep my britches up now. I hate to think about adding my 1911 aand two mags to that when I return to the US, OH legislature willing. Probably have to put the keys, cel and PALM in a vest or something! . . .so yes I carry a knife and probably always will for backup. It does that job and weighs less than a gun.

------------------
"I don't want to use a 2 million dollar bomb to bomb a 10 dollar tent and hit a camel in the ass. . ."

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Dear Nathan, One word....suspenders (or braces if you're in the UK). :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I train in knife tactics (Docs Pares) and carry my Emerson Commander EVERYWHERE!! Before Sept. 11, I used to get it on planes since it was less than 4" long. The funny thing is all the news reporters make it sound like previous regulations forbid all but swiss army knives - not so. Any tactical folder that was less than 4" blade length was allowable.

Having trained and seen what CAN happen with an edged weapon, I can honestly say I'd rather be shot that sliced.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My choice is the Spyderco Delica. Its small enough to be legal to carry anywhere (except for maybe planes now). If I'm confronted with a single threat inside or 20', I'll go for the knife instead of a gun, far more deadly. I'll admit that a little 3" knife doesn't rate as high on the intimidation factor as a Govt .45, but any knife over 1" is plenty lethal enough for me.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Emerson CQC7, sharp, sturdy, nice knife.

Electric Armadillo, I am curious about your inside 20' reasoning for using a knife as being more dangerous than a gun. My curiosity is not with which is more dangerous, but the distance issue. Can you draw and deploy (is that the right word - open the blade up) your knife more quickly than a gun at a charging target? My thought always was to avoid close proximity contact if at all possible. While a knife may be more dangerous than a gun, that is only if you can inflict damage with the knife and that involves being at arm's distance (none of the knives I saw here, and certainly not my CQC7 are geared for throwing all that well). I would rather not be that close to a bad guy. At distances greater than 5', I think I would have to reason that my gun was more dangerous to the bad guy with the Ma Bell "reach out and touch someone" benefit of bullets. Plus, at 20' your adversary can see your nice, big, government .45 and won't snicker compared to seeing a little ole knife. At 20', my knife looks really small.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have one with me at all times. Since I wear a suit, I can't use the pocket clip, so I carry a MicroTech Lightfoot folder or a Kershaw Random Task in a rear pocket holster designed by Robert Mika (a retired LAPD officer). It's a good set up-doesn't print or show the knife at all, and keeps the knife straight up and ready.`In the front pocket, a Spyderco Native. For jeans and shorts, a Cold Steel Gunsite folder.geegee

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by BeasTboyz:
I always carry my M16-14 and Fox OC I am 19 and in Colorado so I can't carry a handgun but feel pretty safe with my FoxOC, the knife is a tool, not a weapon but could be used as my last defense (after running). The last thing I want is a damn knife fight! I spend most of my time at school anyhow (University of Colorado) where carrying a handgun even with a permit is illegal so FoxOC will probably be my primary defense even after I get my CCW.

Matt

[This message has been edited by BeasTboyz (edited 10-01-2001).]
Carrying a handgun concealed at your school if one has a CCW is NOT illegal.
See states Statutes 18-12-105.5

This link may work: http://64.78.178.125/cgi-dos/statdspp.exe?N&srch=18%2d12%2d105%2a&r=10&s=26149&cr=3

Patriot

------------------
"Both the oligarch and the tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
- Aristotle, "Politics"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks patriot! I must have read the state statutes 15 or 20 times but somehow always missed that or had gotten the impression i couldn't so it just slipped by. Still have to wait a little more than a year til i turn 21 and even then the commies in boulder probably won't issue.

Matt

·
Registered
345 Posts
I carry a Spyderco Terzuola or Benchmade/Emerson CQC7. What else can a Canuck carry and be legal? Better than nothing at all. My first choice is still and always will be a 1911 .45. I envy you guys.
spock

·
Registered
691 Posts
Originally posted by Double Naught Spy:
Electric Armadillo, I am curious about your inside 20' reasoning for using a knife as being more dangerous than a gun. My curiosity is not with which is more dangerous, but the distance issue. Can you draw and deploy (is that the right word - open the blade up) your knife more quickly than a gun at a charging target? My thought always was to avoid close proximity contact if at all possible. While a knife may be more dangerous than a gun, that is only if you can inflict damage with the knife and that involves being at arm's distance (none of the knives I saw here, and certainly not my CQC7 are geared for throwing all that well). I would rather not be that close to a bad guy. At distances greater than 5', I think I would have to reason that my gun was more dangerous to the bad guy with the Ma Bell "reach out and touch someone" benefit of bullets. Plus, at 20' your adversary can see your nice, big, government .45 and won't snicker compared to seeing a little ole knife. At 20', my knife looks really small.
Fair enough question. First, this is MY reaction to a situation, and may not be appropriate for everyone. Feel free to disagree.

Neither a knife nor a gun will ever be drawn unless my life is in immediate danger of being terminated (or I have to peel an apple). If this isn't true, walking away, talking, yelling "help police" or something else will be enough to scare off a casual threat. Also, all draws will be done on the move. Towards with the knife, away with the gun.

With the pistol, the longer range favors the skilled. With a knife, Ultra-close range favors the skilled (my prefered knife fighting distance is inside of the elbow arc). Due to this, I have completely different strategies based on distance to the hostile. This is how I've determined that distance.

During my weapons training, I've practiced a lot of X vs gun scenarios. For reference, the gun rode in a police style holster without thumb break. Terrain was clear with no cover. Inside of 20' the gun was at a distinct disadvantage. Even when it was sucessfully drawn, the shot seldom even hit a rapidly approaching target, and a second shot was never fired before a lethal knife strike. My drawing partner wasn't Rob Leatham, but he wasn't slow either.

Now when I carry a pistol, it has to be very well concealed (ie a lot slower). My knife is clipped to my front pocket, has nothing in the way, and is much faster to draw. I've worked with it so I can open the blade with a reflexive flick of the wrist on the draw. As a bonus, the knife is 100% legal even carried openly. If I have a hostile inside of 20', I have to assume he can cover the ground just as quickly as I can. I know that my forte with the pistol is accuracy, not speed. I might get my one shot off before he's in my face, or I might not. If I do hit, will it be a one shot drop? Who knows. Regardless, both hands are on my gun and not in an ideal position for defense. End result of going for the gun is EA-0 BG-1, and I'd end up a Texas speedbump from my namesake.

By the way, never THROW a knife. Bad idea all around, especially if you have a gun.

Sorry the post is a bit long.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

[This message has been edited by Electric_Armadillo (edited 10-02-2001).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.