1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone - was referred here by the good folks at DefensiveCarry.com for info about a 1911.

I'm in the market for a carry gun and have decided on a compact (Officer's size) 1911 - I love the single action trigger and am reasonably familiar with their operation.

My local gun shop has a Colt Series 80 M1991A1 Officer's size, with some custom work done by a shop called JD Custom.

Beavertail grip safety, trigger/action job, Mag-Na-Porting, ambi safety. Needs new sights, but besides that, looks excellent. I did all of the checks on the 1911 Function Test page, and throughly inspected it for wear - looks to me like it was a safe queen and didn't see the range a heck of a lot.

But I can't find this company, JD Customs, anywhere at all. Just a phone number for a place in TN (will call tomorrow, found it here: http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Jd.Custom.Guns.423-334-3588 ).
I have hesitations about buying a gun done by a shop that went out of business, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Here are a few pics of it:

Anyone heard of JD?

Any opinions on buying this pistol? The asking price is, as you can kind of see from the first pic, $599 but I have a feeling if I walked in with $500 cash they'd take it.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to bump my own thread (I waited a day though :) )

Left two messages and an email for JD Guns in TN, no response.
No one, either here or on DefensiveCarry.com, has heard of JD Custom 1911s.

I guess I'm not going to buy this pistol - buying a used 1911 with an unknown round count, with modifications done that I can't verify who has done them, etc... is too much of a gamble for me. Even if it does look really nice.

I'll just save up the $850 for a new Springfield Loaded Officer.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Man, you're too picky, or paranoid, or whatever. If you could have got that for $500, you should have jumped on it. Who cares who JD Customs is/was? That looks like a nice Colt, worry about that little detail later.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Porting is well executed, the beavertail seems nicely done, doesn't look bad for $500. I would just ask yourself if a ported compact 1911 is what you want. For me, $500 without the ports would be preferable....

·
Registered
44 Posts
It looks fine to me...

$500 It would be a done deal for me..

I have a RIA I am sending to Kings and Mag-Na-Port by he time I'm done it will cost $1000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts