1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother-In-Law's father gave him a wonderful gift yesterday. It is a Colt M1911A1 that belonged to his Grandfather who was a WW2 Vet. We assume this was his sidearm. It is Parked, and it a beauty. The finish is at least 80% showing mostly holster wear. The Serial Number is 7410xx. It says "United States Property M1911A1 US Army" on the side. There is a Stamped "RS" right below the slide stop. A Stamped "P" right below the Magazine release. Also a Stamped "P" on the top of the slide.
Here are some pics. I wonder does anyone know the value of such a gun? Also does anyone know when it would have been made? I also wanted to share with you guys that I got to see and handle such a great gun.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
12 VM
The first thing you need to check for is the serial number under the firing pin stop plate. Pull the slide back until it locks, use a ballpoint or some other small item for a punch, press in the firing pin and slide the firing pin stop plate down. You should find 741 above and 0XX under the firing pin hole in the slide. This will indicate that the slide is original to the frame.
JP

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Tell your B-I-L congrats, and strongly counsel him not to change anything on it or have it refinished, which would ruin the value. Original, parkerized RS-inspected pistols are not very common. Minty examples (when found) are easily in the $2K range. One like this is probably worth around $1500 or so, but still a decent sum for such an old piece.

·
Registered
898 Posts
41 Colt..

12 Volt Man,don't know if you have ever used this site before but here is how to look up the ser# on this site,scroll down left side of page to "LEARN ADVANCED" Military Serial Numbers,click on this and go down to Automatic(M1911 and others),click on that and enter ser# in space provided and submit the search.

www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

Stumpy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts