1911Forum banner

Anyone here carry a Kimber Ultra-Carry???

2008 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Raspy
Should we ever get CCW here in Ohio I would like a small light-weight .45 for the summer months. I've been kicking around between the Glock 30 and the new Taurus PT145. After a recent visit to a local shop a buddy of mine picked up a used Charles Daly Field CS and it is a sweet little gun. I'm fairly loyal to Kimber when it comes to 1911's so I'm now considering the Ultra-Carry (probably stainless) as a possibility. What do you all think about this little pistol? What should I be aware of?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Warm Bore

------------------
"Molon Labe, and you can have the bullets first!!!"
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I can't say I've shot one, but in terms of carrying it, I think it will be more comfortable than the glock 30. It's thinner and about the same weight. I have a glock 30 and I usually end up carrying something thinner. I still suggest getting the glock if you want one, though, because it is a great shooting small 45. Extremely accurate and controllable.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
<><> Warm Bore, I carry a UC in SS. the main gripe I have is not gun related, but magazine related. It seems the follower on the CMC mags ding the feed ramp. When the last round is fed the follower moves foward and bangs into the feed ramp. Over time it causes a ding on the aluminuim feed ramp. I think the problem will be solved when my new followers arrive at my gunsmiths. Other than that, I am very pleased with it. I also have a Compact that is all steel, and does not show the same problem. I also am a better shot with the UC, but I think that is b/c I have shot it more. Some folks are having trouble with the nite-sites, I have not had any problems with them. I sent the slide to Kimber, and they installed them. When I got the gun back I did not have to adjust the sights at all, POI was POA. I didn't care for the rubber grips, and changed them to Houge smooth cocobola panels. All in all I am quite satisfied with it.
Wheee that was a long post. Sometimes I get carried away.

Raspy

· Registered
222 Posts
Raspy

I have seen and heard of the problems with Kimbers mags. These were the same as the Chip McCormick. I have an Ultra Carry and it is my summer time CCW. I solved the problem by only using Wilson Combat 47 mags. These are the only ones I use in any of my 6 1911's.

Long live the 1911
MOLON LABE

· Registered
1,399 Posts
<><> Greg, I can get the ding out, if I polish the feed ramp with a Kleen-Bore cloth. I'm afraid of too much polishing takeing off the anodizing (sp). I think when I change followers, the problem will be solved.

Raspy

· Registered
115 Posts
I carry my SS UC daily. I have over 2000 trouble-free rounds through it--rock-solid reliability. I find it very comfortable to carry, easy to conceal, and accurate to shoot.

Being small and light, it takes practice to stay consistently on-target. If I don't shoot it regularly, I lose the ability to precisely place rounds at 25 yards. Only takes a day at the range to get it back, though.

Highly recommend it. Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Regards,
TBob

------------------
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
- George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

· Registered
28 Posts
i have the UC in matte black, its a real shooter, very accurate and reliable. great gun at a good price. its lite weight makes it a dream to carry. stay away from kimber custom shop stuff, stay with the base models.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
<><> Hero45, tell us more about the UC Eclipse II. Price, steel, or alloy frame? Were the sights fixed, nite-sites? What were the grip panels made of? Ambi-saftey? I didn't know they were going to make an UC Eclipise. Is it a limited run?

--------------------

Raspy

· Registered
294 Posts
I went to Discount Firearms on my lunch break today (Las Vegas). I had just sold a gun on consignment and was going to by the Pro Eclipse II Carry. There were two on the shelf, but one of them was smaller than the other, so I asked to see both. I'll be damned

The Ultra Eclipse II Carry is identical to the Pro Eclipse II Carry except it has the officer's frame and a 3" barrel
Kimber never said a word, they just built it, and shipped it. The Ultra, Pro Carry, and full size model were each selling for $864.00. Here is a gun that has a stainless steel frame and slide. The frame is the officer's model and will only hold 7rd magazines. The slide has the 3" barrel. The weapon is black with the sides sanded down to a polished stainless steel just like the Pro Carry, and the full size model
It has the grey/black grips just like the other Eclipse models. There are 30lpi on the front strap, ambi-safties, fixed night sites, magazine well beveled, and Kimber's raised grip safety. I didn't squeeze the trigger because my dealer frowns on that. But the trigger on my Pro Eclipse II is crisp. I played with both guns for 1/2 hr before buying the Pro Eclipse II. I'm telling you the Ultra Eclipse II is identical to the Pro Eclipse II except for the 3" barrel and shorter frame. It's very light for an all steel gun, and I almost bought it. The dealer laughed and said if I don't buy it, he would....decisions, decisions. I'm not worried because it does not look like a special limited edition. It looks like the Ultra will become part of their regular issue items. Hey, stop the presses, does this mean I finally scooped a story

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

[This message has been edited by Hero45 (edited 09-04-2001).]

· Registered
2,876 Posts
The Ultras are good little guns, accurate, and conceal well. They have a short sight radius that is hard for some to keep on target, but if you can, the bullets go exactly where you aim.

If you don't get a good wrist lock when shooting, you can get some bullet tumble and keyholing in the target. The ultras handle a little differently for felt recoil, so you should spend some time and a good bit of ammo becoming fully proficient.

I agree with MADman. If you put thin grip panels on the gun, it will conceal that much easier. In terms of mags, both Metalform and Wilson Combat have worked well for me.

· Registered
294 Posts
Ricko:

I did not think the Ulta Eclipse II was a special edition model because it did not have any special markings on it. It looked identical to the Eclipse Pro Carry II model. Also, my dealer usually tells me if it's a special edition model. That way he can ask a little more for the gun. However, he did not make any bones about this being a special edition. He gave me the impression that the Ultra Eclipse II Carry was a standard item, although new. By the way, my Eclipse II Pro Carry fits my hand like a glove.

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

· Registered
1,399 Posts
<><> Hero45, thank you for that very informative review. I will be going over to Redding at the end of the month, and will stop in my favorite gun shop, and see if he has one. He is a master dealer.

-------------
Raspy

· Registered
347 Posts
Warm Bore,

I carry a Custom CDP which is comfortable for me but is a tad long (it's almost impossible to get my wallet out of my rear pocket when I'm seated and carrying. Last week, I met a guy at our local range who was shooting an Ultra CDP. He was as interested in my full size as I was in his Ultra (3" barrel). We swapped handguns for a short period and WOW! My next handgun purchase will be a Ultra CDP. It was extremely accurate, fit well in my hand, would be very easy to conceal, and would be comfortable to carry. I would never get rid of my full size but I think the Ultra would be the ticket, especially for warm weather carry. Just my opinion.

DAW

------------------
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."
-- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

· Registered
2 Posts
The ultra carry is a sweet little pistol. I have 600 rounds through mine with zero malfunctions, except for a couple FTF's while my girlfriend was shooting it. This doesn't worry me since it was in the first 100 rounds and I'm sure it was due to limp wristing since it only happened to her and I've put 95% of the rounds through it. I am impressed at how accurate it is for its size.

But I have not figured out how to take advantage of its short barrel length for CCW. I've been carrying it IWB but to me this method doesn't really make sense for this gun. My Kimber compact actually conceals better IWB. The extra barrel length puts the belt closer to the center of mass of the gun and thus it stabilizes it better against my body and it doesn't print as much. An IWB that positions the ultra carry lower in the pants to make it as stable and take advantage of its reduced size would make it hard to get a good grip on the gun while drawing and probably doesn't exist. It is too big for pocket carry. Thunderwear might make sense. For the rest of the ultra carry owners, how do you carry it to take advantage of its reduced barrel length?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.