1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of hog hunting with my Kimber Classic. :hrm:

Not for full size 400lb snorters, but for smaller eatin' size young pigs... maybe in the 50lb to 70lb range.

I was wondering if anyone here has done any hunting with their 1911. I've read about big wheel guns in .44mags or .41mag for hunting larger size game, but like I said... I was just toying with the idea...

Of course if I blast one of those baby squeelers and his 450 pound Momma comes out of the scrub palmetto bushes looking to kick my a$$, :eek: I might should have my 8 shot riot gun within easy reach loaded with a mix of buckshot & slugs as back-up. :D

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, or loads they would suggest?

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
45 Super conversions aren't that difficult. Don't underestimate the super for that type of hunting. I'm looking forward to hog hunting next year w/ my longslde. :D Tracy

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Hi Joe, I just got back from South Texas yesterday after a hog hunt. I was carrying a Tactical Pro II loaded with 185 grain Golden sabers. I took down about a 70 pound hog with my 308. It was a spine shot, not my favorite shot but I didn't have much time to set up a shot. I ran up on him and he tried to attack, but his rear legs weren't working. Long story short, as he lunged at me from about 5 yards away I shot him in the right quarter of his head. The fight was over. The 185 gr bullet penetrated the entire skull and took off the top of his shoulder. I wouldn't hesitate hunting with just a 1911.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
there was a doe taken down by a member of this forum with a STI trojan in 38 super...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I remember reading an article in......American Handgunner around 1995 or so. There was a regular writer, some sheriff in Texas, that wrote an article about deer hunting with his 1911.
Who knows. Seems reasonable to hunt in the scrub with this setup.
I'm not sure I'd hunt hogs with it. The ass-whooping by a 400lb momma sow is a real worry. What a way to go....trampled and eaten by swine.:mummy:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Better check your hunting regs. Some places have barrel length requirements and some have cartridge energy requirements. Don't let the game warden spoil your fun because of ignorance of the law.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also carry my 1911 when i go hunting. Especially when i use my flinlock or in-line muzzleloader. I even carry it as back up for my .270 when i go bear hunting. I only had to use it once for a kill shot on a downed deer, but you never know what your going to run into in the woods.
The one reason i got a 45 was the stopping power. If a 45 can take down a person, why wouldn't it be able to take down a hog? The only thing you have to worry about is your shot. From what i hear( i am from PA, so we don't do much hog hunting execpt for bacon) hogs run like crazy so, make a good shot because tracking an angry, wounded animal is never fun.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Funny you should ask. I took a smallish doe (120lb) 4 days ago with a Wilson DCP in .45 built on a Colt 80 series GM and a Fed 230gr Hydra Shock.

KY laws allow handguns to be used during modern firearm season. Believe it or not, the only regs for handgun is that they MUST be center fire. Sounds too dumb to be true.... but it is... look it up.

I had taken a buck with a .308 a couple of days before, so I went back out with just the Wilson for the last couple of days. The doe walked up about 40 yds out. It dropped on the spot.

That makes my third over the last 15 years or so with a GM .45.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Just got this to take on a hog hunt. 10mm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Going on Saturday for Whitetail. Unfortunately my state requires that any semi handgun can not carry more then six rounds. After contacting my local Game, Fish & Parks, they are letting me modify a magazine to only hold five rounds. So I dimpled it after the fifth and it works great.

I can't wait. First time with a handgun, always used bow or rifle before.

Jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
First season with a 1911. I got the Kimber 10mm, and have been using it this year for deer. I am using Double Tap Ammo (165gr. Golden [email protected] out of a 5"bbl.) and carry a second spare mag with handloads for game of opportunity. No shots at deer yet this season, just one squirrel with a lead flatpoint handload while I was walking out for lunch, going to have to work up a lighter load for small game.:D Normally I use a Ruger MKII for small game and a S&W629 for deer. I'll post again when a deer walks close enough to my treestand.

RaisinRiverRon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The first time I shot a squirrel with my old 8" Model 27 S&W, the hollow point semi-jacketed SuperVel 125gr. Magnum round killed it, cleaned it, cooked it and vaporized it all at once. :scratch:

That's when I was taught about "Barking" squirrels...

The old fellow I was hunting with, said "Look here, Son..." and took my revolver out of my hand. :confused:

In a few moments, we saw another squirrel and my 75 year old mentor whispered, "This is whatcha call 'barkin' them"... he carefully aimed that long barreled Smith up toward the target, cocked back the hammer and another 125gr hollowpoint was launched toward the little 'tree-rat'.

But instead of crap, fur and eyeballs exploding out of the treetop like my squirrel did, only the bark of the tree, just UNDER the squirrel exploded with the impact of that round. The squirrel was blown off the tree and fell the forty+ feet to the ground... perfectly intact and perfectly dead... without a scratch on him.

"That's called barkin' em. It leaves enough meat on 'em to eat" he said as he handed me back my handgun and walked over to retreive his kill. "You can eat yours... I'll eat mine."
:cool:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
RaisinRiverRon said:
First season with a 1911. I got the Kimber 10mm, and have been using it this year for deer. I am using Double Tap Ammo (165gr. Golden [email protected] out of a 5"bbl.) and carry a second spare mag with handloads for game of opportunity. No shots at deer yet this season, just one squirrel with a lead flatpoint handload while I was walking out for lunch, going to have to work up a lighter load for small game.:D Normally I use a Ruger MKII for small game and a S&W629 for deer. I'll post again when a deer walks close enough to my treestand.

RaisinRiverRon
you used a 10mm on a SQUIRREL??? was there anything left?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anything left? Little bit here, little bit there. salvaged the hindquarters, but thats it. Gotta see if I can come up with a powderpuff load that will still cycle the gun. Saw some pretty light loads in my reloading manual.

RaisinRiverRon

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ford said:
Just got this to take on a hog hunt. 10mm
Exactly why I bought my Series I Kimber in 40 cal. Convert with 10mm barrel and SS rod and heavier recoil springs.

Wala! 10mm - get some DoubleTapp Ammo and hogs and deer are fine to hunt within 50 yards!

45 ACP - no way - designed for two legged not four legged creatures.

45 Super or 40 Super - want to risk blowing up your gun - no way.

10mm baby!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would use a 45 Super, 10MM or 9x23 for hunting due to downrange energy, but I think that .45 ACP requires too many things to be perfect for a good consceince shot at deer sized game

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally... a hog huntin' trip with my Kimber

Yup, after three or four months of looking around for the right place to try some hog hunting with my Kimber, one of the guys on another forum was complaining about the pigs getting into his garden and tearing everything up. :D

He said I'm more than welcome to come out and weed out some of the marrauders. He said he's already shot several with his .50 cal black powder muzzle loader, but they keep coming back.

He says the young ones are in the 50 to 70 pound range and his freezer is already full, so I'll be over there this Saturday.

I'm taking CowBoyWay's advice and will use Speer's 185gr. Golden Saber ammo. (and I'll have my 20ga riot gun, loaded w/#3 buck, next to me just in case Momma wants to come over and get even for me bustin' a cap in one of her lil' squealer's shoulder. :eek: )

I'll let y'all know how it goes...

·
Registered
134 Posts
RaisinRiverRon said:

RaisinRiverRon
They must raise helluva squirrels in Michigan. Do they charge when wounded? :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts