1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
IMHO, you should not be looking for a cheap holster. The finest firearm will be useless if you cannot get to it and deploy. I am not being critical. I am having a local guy make one for me that will be truly custom. He actually took several measurements. I should have it in a week or two. I'll post pics and price for your consideration.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I was going to suggest Josh Bulman ( I have a couple for Commanders and Glocks) but then I reread your post & I noticed you wanted "inexpensive" so that shot my suggestion in the head.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey brother, where will you be using your rig? If its for CC I would buy a quality rig, but if your going to be out shooting on BLM land for example, and not using it too much, I think the rig you are looking at on ebay will work just fine. I had a 'guides choice' for one of my 1911's, it was awesome. All personal preference though. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Best of luck with your new gear!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I suggest you hit the local gunshops and gunshows and what you're looking for is a Bianchi X-15 medium size. It's out of production but you see them pretty regularly in those two places (check the local GS's "do you want these for $10 bins" ).

I have had one, and it accomodates K and L frame 4" Smith and Wessons too as well as 5" 1911's and other similar sized autos, for over 20 years and it's still a GREAT winter weather holster. Brute strong, holds a wide variety of weapons, and works like a champ.

That would be my advice that wouldn't break the bank. Mine is in black but you most often see the used ones in brown. I've seen them as low as $15 but beat up, have seen VERY nice ones around the $40 mark.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
228 Posts
While not vertical, I would suggest the Miami Classic by Galco. Infinitely adjustable, comfortable, and components can be changed out if you change guns.

Just my .02

Smitty

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to suggest Josh Bulman ( I have a couple for Commanders and Glocks) but then I reread your post & I noticed you wanted "inexpensive" so that shot my suggestion in the head.
thanks anyway

Hey brother, where will you be using your rig? If its for CC I would buy a quality rig, but if your going to be out shooting on BLM land for example, and not using it too much, I think the rig you are looking at on ebay will work just fine. I had a 'guides choice' for one of my 1911's, it was awesome. All personal preference though. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Best of luck with your new gear!
wanted a good one for winter carry.

I suggest you hit the local gunshops and gunshows and what you're looking for is a Bianchi X-15 medium size. It's out of production but you see them pretty regularly in those two places (check the local GS's "do you want these for $10 bins" ).

I have had one, and it accomodates K and L frame 4" Smith and Wessons too as well as 5" 1911's and other similar sized autos, for over 20 years and it's still a GREAT winter weather holster. Brute strong, holds a wide variety of weapons, and works like a champ.

That would be my advice that wouldn't break the bank. Mine is in black but you most often see the used ones in brown. I've seen them as low as $15 but beat up, have seen VERY nice ones around the $40 mark.

Good luck in your search.
thanks for the .

While not vertical, I would suggest the Miami Classic by Galco. Infinitely adjustable, comfortable, and components can be changed out if you change guns.

Just my .02

Smitty
i dont like the vertical ones. I've had them before.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
For COMFORTABLE, discreet carry I would not consider a vertical SH.
I have had great luck with Alessi's "Bodyguard" for 1911's and P-35 (BHP's).
Extremely comfortable, "pull thru" retention snap and reasonably concealable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks anyway

wanted a good one for winter carry.

thanks for the .

i dont like the vertical ones. I've had them before.
i meant i dont like the horizontal ones

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the suggestions

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
For COMFORTABLE, discreet carry I would not consider a vertical SH.
I have had great luck with Alessi's "Bodyguard" for 1911's and P-35 (BHP's).
Extremely comfortable, "pull thru" retention snap and reasonably concealable.

Anything that puts a device through the trigger guard is asking for an accidental discharge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Galco has a couple rigs that are actually pretty decent. And you can catch them for a decent price in certain forum's classifieds, if you are lucky!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Al,
Can you tell me how to reach Josh Bulman?
Thanks,
Jim L.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gunny Doug 45, does the Bravo 34 conceal well under a shirt or vest? I have a Diamond D chest rig,while very fast it is in the open. Like the idea of out of sight,out of mind......

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just received the Mitch Rosen Stylemaster as a birthday gift. It is over the top expensive at $385......glad I did not pay for it. But the quality and craftsmanship of the leather and detailed boning are incredible. All brass hardware. It is fitted for my Commander size 1911 and carries horizontally. It conceals very well with a jacket or tactical snap shirt. Looking forward to using this for a long time and highly recommend if within budget.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I don't know about a 1911 but I used to carry a .357 Blackhawk in a vertical Bianchi SH. It was pretty good but wasn't really "cheap".

I wouldn't go cheap on a holster-you're counting on it for retention and ease of access so it has to be well designed and well built which are expensive qualities-though you may not need a full custom in Ostrich leather with stingray inlays!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure what "inexpensive" means here, but might I suggest Ted Blocker.

Their Huckelberry, Carry's well, a vest covers it nicely, yet if you are wearing insulated coveralls access is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts