1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my TRP today..(okay playing with it!)and I got to wondering which parts are MIM.I did a partial list-hammer, sear, disconnector, ejector, extractor,ambi-safety, grip safety, slide lever, trigger and all the parts that connect to it. Anyone else think of anything thats MIM?

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
PM 7,

Are you sure these parts are MIM? If so, should I assume that my Milspec uses the same parts?

I recently heard of a sear failure where the sear tip snapped and the result was an AD in the holster. My Milspec sports a 3.5# trigger job and mccormick trigger. Other than that it's stock.

I am concerned now that this may happen to me. Are there any guidelines or signs that a sear is fatigued... other than looking at it?

Best, -Coop

·
Registered
24 Posts
I so glad to see that someone else spends time looking at their TRP. What a fine piece of metal!!

It gets better each time I look at it.

Zane

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Metal Injection Molding.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Coop de Ville:
I recently heard of a sear failure where the sear tip snapped and the result was an AD in the holster. My Milspec sports a 3.5# trigger job and mccormick trigger. Other than that it's stock.

I am concerned now that this may happen to me...
Ok...Instead of "hearing," I want proof. I want to talk to the person or see the actual post of the person who this happened to. I want to know that they never did a trigger job, that it is a stock factory part that wasn't touched that caused an AD. Because that is a major product liability lawsuit!

Everytime this "MIM Parts Suck" thread or something like it starts up on any of the forums here, no one has any proof of anything. And certainly no one that has had a MIM part break because it was faulty can show me a higher instance of MIM breakage as opposed to Cast or Forged Steel breakage. I have seen people with just as many Wilson Bullet Proof parts fail as much as MIM or Cast.

Bottom line, if it was made correctly, MIM, Cast, or Forged Steel doesn't make a difference. If it did, you would have lawsuits all over the freaking place. Plus, you also have to remember that Guns aren't the only place you see MIM, Cast, alloys, composites, etc. You see them in Cars, Planes, and a whole bunch of other high stress environments.

From hearforth, I am calling all this BS "Forged Chunk of Steel" syndrome. The same people who have this fetish have also called the Glocks tupperware when they first came out.

These people are afraid that if things aren't forged from a heavy, clunky chunk of steel then it just won't last.

Well WAKE UP PEOPLE. If it was true, houses wouldn't stay up for hundreds of years, airplanes would fall from the sky hundreds of times a day, and the world would stop revolving.

So, if you want to have/carry a heavy chunk of forged steel, please do. But don't tell the rest of us that there aren't other alternatives out there that work just as well.

[This message has been edited by Gun Nut (edited 11-15-2001).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gun Nut,

Apparently the guy had an 8 or 9 ounce trigger pull on his highly modified gun which he shot the hell out of. So yes, I assume that there was more to just a faulty sear in this incident.

Having said that, MIM parts MAY reveal hollows or voids from casting that are easily seen when one works on the sear. However, subsurface voids MAY still exist in a MIM part, thus causing a weak point.

Lighten up.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Gun Nut,

Apparently the guy had an 8 or 9 ounce trigger pull on his highly modified gun which he shot the hell out of. So yes, I assume that there was more to just a faulty sear in this incident.
Which is basically my point exactly.

Lighten up.
I think I am as "Light" as I am willing to get about the subject. Quite honestly, it is this sort of "bunk" that goes on that makes people irrationally feel that MIM or Cast or whatever is inherently BAD.

Coop, you are the one that posted that "fear", but have acknowledged that other modifications were done to the gun.

If the guy had a 9 OUNCE trigger pull and had a sear failure, you are worried that there is some causal relationship with that and your MIM parts?

You mean to tell me you can't see the obvious that a 9 ounce trigger pull is dangerous and that anyone that has one is asking for a ND or some other type of catistrophic failure related to the work done to make the pull so light?

Not only that, I would say that if any smith would actually perform that sort of modification, that there could be some negligence on his part also. I don't think you could find anyone in the industry that would think a 1/2 pound trigger pull is safe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt mean to get all this trouble started.
I was just curious about how much of the gun is made up of the MIM parts. I have over 2000 rds thru my TRP with no problem so far, except switching out personal preference parts like the guide rod.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A little lighter, please.

Some of us are told things and thus come to this board expressing concern, hoping to find someone who will tell us their honest opinion. To best of my knowledge, I'm pretty sure sure this can be done without acting like the entire world is out to spoil your fun. If you don't feel like sharing your vast knowledge with those of us who are new and might not know as much about certain things as YOU, then quit browsing these boards. Lock up your windows and your doors and go hide in the closet.

Sorry to have bothered you.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You're wrong about that TRP...I think if you'll look a little closer you'll see that all those aren't MIM...I'd have to break it down to look, but that's more than I've seen before unless they've started adding more than just recently...I guess you don't know 'til you check though. The factory may do anything...If someone's out of parts, they may just grab anything to finish it up...Sad but true...Happens in more than one factory too...and not just guns either.

Best to try it and see how it does first. If the parts are changed by filing or peening or what have you, anything can be different. The MIM parts themselves are not the worry though. It's the combination of people "playing" with them and not keeping track of what was done when and with what parts and all kinds of stacking, and mixing and matching parts etc...Sheesh...I guess the only way you can decide what is best for you is, to only buy what you want to start with. Then, only change things if they are what YOU want changed. Keep track of everything you change, that way it can be returned to stock condition if need be or you can pay someone else to do it...If you are really afraid to use MIM parts...you shouldn't do anything...cause they are EVERYWHERE...Unless you are shooting tons of ammo and really working your pistols, you shouldn't have any huge problems for awhile. If you do, go see the smith or contact the Maker and get a free ticket to send it home for a spanking

Good luck and try to get some enjoyment out of all this. It really is a lot of fun if you can get out there and start shootin' a buncha' rounds...If on the other hand, you can't get your gun to work, get in touch with the maker and get some help...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
...If you don't feel like sharing your vast knowledge with those of us who are new and might not know as much about certain things as YOU, then quit browsing these boards. Lock up your windows and your doors and go hide in the closet.

Sorry to have bothered you.
It certainly isn't a bother. I think that this whole discourse has enlightened everyone who has read it. It has hopefully been beneficial to you also, aside from also proving my point. As with most peoples' complaints about MIM or cast parts there are other factors not relevant to the production process as to why there was a failure. Take that away and I have seen no difference in normal defective part failures between forged, cast, and MIM in how they are currently used in today's guns.

Hopefully you can have some more confidence about any MIM parts in your pistol. A 3.5 lb trigger is exactly around what a semi/custom trigger job will get you, and is certainly in the realm of safe operating standards.

And just like you were expressing your concern over your MIM parts, I have been trying to alleviate that concern. I have, contrary to your statement, been trying to share my knowledge with the group.

While you may not have found the tactics of doing so very appealing, I felt that given the importance of what was going on, and the various threads I have read about MIM, it was the right way to approach it.

I didn't mean to sound condecending in any way. I appologize if you took it as that. It was certainly not meant to be a personal attack on you Coop. I was trying to express my frustration at a rumor/myth/legend that just doesn't seem to have any proof behind it.

[This message has been edited by Gun Nut (edited 11-16-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts