1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
What model Para-Ordnance do you have? The single action double stacks use a slide release that is the same dimensions as any standard single stack 1911. So any extended slide release made for the 1911 design should work with your Para. Wilson and Kings both make extended slide releases. You can find them at http://www.brownells.com/.

I don't know about the LDA's though. I don't have one, so I don't know if the slide release for it is interchangable.

[This message has been edited by Paten (edited 02-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
First lets clarify nomenclature, the item is a slide stop, not a release. The entire purpose of this lever is to hold the slide to the rear when empty or checking to verify that state or aid in clearence drills.

Next, why an extended one. THey get in the way and if you manipulate the slide as in retract it to chamber round after loading from an empty chamber no need for this.

It is simply something to get caught up on clothing, whatever. THey are not really needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a P16-40 with Houge grips on it. The problem is that in our local combat shoot you have to keep your pistol pointed down range at all times. After a mag change it's hard to keep the pistol pointed forward while reaching the release unless I completely change my grip, then I have to re-grip. It's never been a problem before because I normally I can release the slide with it angled slightly inward. I'm new to this combat shoot so I have to get used to the rules

·
Registered
27 Posts
Slide stops are interchangeable between all Paras & Colt 1911's (or clones). Any slide stop for 1911's on the market will fit. Some fitting is required though for any gun.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You really don't need an extended slide stop. After a reload you should hit the slide release with your left thumb if you are right handed. This is a very quick, natural motion. After the fresh mag is seated, flick down on the slide stop with your left thumb. The slide will close and you are ready to rock.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have an extended slide release and want to replace it with standard one. I used to release it with my strong thumb thus have to change my grip. A buddy told me that I just have to use my weak thumb to release it.

With extended release, your strong thumb might ride on if you're shooting with your strong thumb riding the safety. Then it won't function as a slide stop as it was designed.

vega

1 - 8 of 8 Posts