1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do about 50 or 60% of the time, unless for tactical reasons in some situations I feel concealed may serve me better.

There is a lot to be said for the tactical advantages of each method of carry.

Not debating which is best, just wondering if any use this option.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Open carry not allowed here in Florida. I think if it was I would prefer to keep mine concealed, just personal preference. Alot of room for discussion on this subject.

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
I open carry on occasion.

This practice I pretty much restrict myself to doing around town here though. Generally nobody pays much attention to it around here. Mostly you are recognized as being a local, no fuss. When I go to the city I generally refrain from doing so as some of the city people tend to get their panties all in a bunch about it. Virginia Tech is over that way. So we try to cut them some slack. Kind of a good neighbor policy. Additionally my neighbors son (LEO) was murdered by a thug over there a few years ago and and I do not want to get a rookie all pumped up over nothing. If you know what I mean.

My two cents.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd like to, but I live in Texas. Hopefully, OC is coming in the next few years. I might not be here then, however. I've been considering a move to either Washington or Vermont. Or maybe back to Colorado. In any case, I'd start carrying openly, at least sometimes.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
We can here in Tacoma but you don't see it. I open OWB carry when I head out to the range and sometimes at home. I don't walk around in public that way. :)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Lots of people in Tennessee open carry. I could see a belt holster with a jacket of something, but some of these guys use them with a tucked T shirt and jeans,, Ron

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Depends on the weather, my destination and even my mood of the day. If I'm in a positive upbeat mood I'll open-carry. While open-carrying I always try to be the most friendly and professional person somebody will meet that day as well as be as polite as possible. Most people don't notice, what few do around here tend to be very positive and are excited to find out about one more right that they have that should be excercised.

That said, this time of year I tend to wearing a jacket and I'm just very casual about my concealed carrry.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I open carry when I am "out in the woods", hiking, camping, geocaching, etc. The revolver on my hip and a growling dog have actually prevented some possible trouble.

·
Registered
270 Posts
C.C. in any social settings, open carry when hiking, climbing, walking the dogs around the woods, etc.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I do when it is warmer in certain circumstances. I will never OC in an area where I feel I could be jumped, such as a bad inner city where someone could be on you in no time.

I usually OC in stores such as we have alot of transplants coming here from NY/NJ and IMO they need to see that good guys carry guns too. They bring their bad ideas with them, and they need to learn that it is not the guns which are bad. It's also a wakeup call for the criminals who may be shopping.

Was stopped only one time, and that was by a worker in a store who wanted to talk about his 1911....we talked for about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cant open carry in Connecticut. if someone even sees a piece of my pistol and calls the police I could be arrested and have my permit taken away.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We can OC here in Ohio, but never see any reason to advertise what I have. Only time I would, and have a couple of times, is hunting.

I want the drop on someone and tend to not like being a bullseye if SHTF by saying "look. over here. I have a gun also".

I do understand that a BG seeing a weapon can deter them, but I carry to protect life, being it myself, loved ones or innocent by standards. The best way I can attain this is by getting the drop. I have no qualm to those people that OC to deter crime, but I would think most of the time what you would be deterring is a usually more of petty crime and sometimes one that would involve moderate to severe injuries. I am just the type of person that believes that if I draw my gun that I am planning to shoot unless something changes drastically as opposed to drawing to try to prevent something. Both have merits and just depends on how you think.

·
Registered
840 Posts
On my property only since we cant here in Texas, not sure if I would in public. But when in the yard or in the driveway/garage. i do.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts