1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering purchaseing one of these and I wanted to get opionions of people that own them, this will be my everyday carry gun, if you can tell me problems, and upgrades that had to be made too that would be much appreciated, also how long you have had them and how many rounds you have put through them.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Have the SLE, which is the "limited edition" predecessor of the HD. All stainless, top and bottom. I love it. Works good.

I did change the Mainspring to a Wilson #19, and after, and a little straightening out of the trigger bow, the trigger pull measures 3.75 pounds. Very good trigger now, I think, about as good as my Rock River Arms DCM.

I changed the grips, to Cordia wood from Ahrends, they really set off the stainless. I put on an arched, serrated, stainless mainspring housing.

Because I'm experimenting with different loads, I changed the #22 Recoil Spring, right now using the Wolff #20. I also have an #18 from Wilson that I use for light loads. I'm able to use a Hiett brand, extra-thin, shock buffer with any of these springs, and the slide still locks back, and allows a slingshot release. Last week I put in a titanium firing pin, just because I had one, haven't shot it with this yet.

The SLE didn't NEED any of these, but I like to tinker with it. I don't carry, but I've used it in about 6 IPSC matches, with a Fobus holster. The regular 1911 Fobus works, but the SLE "rattles" in it a little, because the sublte de-horn make it a smidgen loose. At the last match I used the 'Kimber' model that Fobus just came out with, and it's tight. It hasn't hurt the matte stainless finish at all.

In about 6 matches there's over 1000 rounds right there, plus a few practices. I did have several failures to feed (my reloads.) After about a 125 rounds, the chamber gets dirty enough to cause a round to not go in all the way. It happened to me maybe 3 times. I'm not sure it's the gun's fault, but I've read that Kimber chambers are spec'd really tight to improve accuracy, and my reloads are burning kind of dirty lately. I'll probably have the chamber reamed when I send it off to get the frontstrap checkered (someday.) I also had to set the extractor tension twice, and polished up the bottom of it. I did file off some of the thumb safety to keep it from digging into my thumb.

I use Wilson Bureaucrat mags most all the time, but other brands worked as well. For IPSC I'm in Limited-Ten class, so don't ever use the factory mag, although I think it worked.

The piece is quite accurate, even with a 4" barrel. My first four shots with the gun (offhand, 7 yards) were touching, a cloverleaf. At 25 yards, from a cheap plastic bench rest, they group maybe 2 inches or a fraction over. Seems to shoot right to point-of-aim at either distance.

Taking it apart is real easy, as long as you have the Kimber bent paper clip (or substitute.)

Someday I'll post a picture on this site, it's hard to imagine what a difference changing the grip panels makes; and I think the ugly rubber grips is about the biggest problem this gun has.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a PRO CARRY HD ( not #II) ,for about two months ,very accurate off hand at 25 yards 3" groups.
I changed the grips to checkered rosewood and changed the sights to Ashley pro express nights. The 3" groups were shot after the change and I have shot over 500 though it ( FMJ,HP and lead) have had no FTF's.
I don't no how the series II safety is first hand but will find out just ordered a Pro Eclipse II this morning,will find out together.

LIVE FREE OR DIE

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes I carry it all most all the time, except when I have to work under farm machinery or get down and dirty in the barn (well maybe I don't carry it all the time),most of the time.
Also the gun is stainless.

LIVE FREE OR DIE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah getting it down in the dirt I dont think would be the best for this fine firearm:) This is a good reliable gun for every day carry in your experriene right?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by New Recruit to 1911's:
Yah getting it down in the dirt I dont think would be the best for this fine firearm:) This is a good reliable gun for every day carry in your experriene right?
Ok New guy. I can understand you are anxious about laying down some serious cash. It seems that you are also a little new to guns in general.

The best advice you are going to get is to go *RENT ONE* at the range and shoot it and see if you like it. No matter about mine nor anybody elses experience.

Kimber makes fine guns. So does Colt and Springfield in the same price range. They even make the same type of models. It really boils down to what *you* desire.

Don't sweat the Kimber purchase. If you have problems, they will be made right. But your chances are fairly LOW that you will have any problems.

If you decide from shooting the gun that you want it, then decide some time in the future that you don't like it, don't sweat that either. There is enough Kimber demand out there that you can sell that gun with mimimal or no loss, especially if you buy from SGC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
have the pro hd not the II,really loved it took several months to get,shoots really well had trouble with the black sights until i marked the front one orange then i could see it,really love this gun but after i had a stroke of luck and won a pro cdp in a raffle its always the first one i grab now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts