1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering purchaseing one of these and I wanted to get opionions of people that own them, this will be my everyday carry gun, if you can tell me problems, and upgrades that had to be made too that would be much appreciated, also how long you have had them and how many rounds you have put through them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by New Recruit to 1911's:
I am seriously considering purchaseing one of these and I wanted to get opionions of people that own them, this will be my everyday carry gun, if you can tell me problems, and upgrades that had to be made too that would be much appreciated, also how long you have had them and how many rounds you have put through them.

I bought the park'ed model because it came with nightsights. Always preferred the Novaks and these puppies are bright!

Upgrades: I bought a set of Hogue walnut grips which arrived un oiled and very dry. Those were replaced with a set of Ahrend's Tactical Gaboon Ebony (half smooth/half checkered). Bought 4 CMC Shooting Star mags and upgraded the stock mag springs to SS 8 rounders.

It now lives in it's Milt Sparks Watch Six holster. There's an amazing design for you, it's the most comfortable iwb holster I've ever owned.

The only parts "failure" I've experienced was the link pin that fell out during the second cleaning. Ordered a new Wilson pin through Brownell's for $5 or so and have had no other problems with it.

I've had my Champion since last May but only have 600 or so rounds through it... been pretty busy lately. I can tell you that if you've never fired a gun with a conical bull barrel you will be pleasantly surprised. It really helps tame the muzzle flip and the lack of a bushing makes field stripping somewhat easier.

Good luck,

Mac

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have one that has roughly about 900 rounds through it. It had a little trouble with 230 gr. Hydrashoks in the first 50 rounds. The next 200 rounds of Hydrashoks had no problem and 1 failure to go full battery with ball at about round 150 - 200. Since then, no problems at all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the parked model with Novak sites. I have had to do nothing at all to it after 750 rounds.

I use Wilson mags, but have had no problems with the stock mags-just a peace of mind thing, I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1,000 rounds in mine so far, i **** caned the poor grips, threw away the thumb safety, after cuting my finger i put a wilson one on. and was not happy seeing brizal stamped on the lower part of the dust cover. the whole gun had sharp eadges all over the gun. but i'm still happy with the good shooting out of the gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a SA Loaded Champ in Oct.
I have put 1500 rounds thru it and I love this gun I am along time Sig fan And this sold me on a 1911. The only thing that I had to do was polish the firing put it was sticking a little..... You must Buy either wilson or CMC mags to get consistant feeding
other than that It shoots like a DREAM.
I see you are in scottsdale wher do you shot

·
Registered
181 Posts
Like MiniZ, I have a parkerized Loaded Champion w/ the Novak sights. I bought the pistol about two months ago and had some failures to go into battery at first.

Switching brands of ammo and allowing a little break-in period seem to have solved the problem. (I have put about 600 rounds through it, so far.) While the factory mags seem to work OK, I'm in the process of buying better mags (Chip McComick or Wilson) for the piece of mind that MiniZ mentions.

The pistol is accurate and fun to shoot. I personally have found the Champion to be big enough to shoot comfortably and accurately, but small enough to carry.

Good luck with your purchase, just remember to give it some time to break-in...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the SS S.A. Champion for about two years now. After the first 250 rounds, the slide stop notch cut out on the slide that makes contact with the slide release in lock back position began to show excessive wear.

After about a week and a half, the pistol was returned fixed from S.A.. No further problems on that issue.

After around 600 rounds, the firing pin stop/hold plate fractured from the hole to the high cut out notch that clears away from the ejector. S.A. sent a new part, replaced, and no further problems to date, and I have fired about 1200 rounds now through about..

I use this as my on duty weapon, even though it has give me some problems at first, I still trust it with my life, and to protect the lives of others.

Oh, and the trigger pull on my Champion is better than the trigger pull on my Kimber SS Compact by far....

Good luck, and keep us posted if you decide to buy one on how it works for a 1000 rounds or so.....

Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been to a local gunstore on 3 seperate occasions to play with both the kimber and the Springfield I like the springer a lot more, it feels more solid it feels like a heck of a lot more of a gun. Tanks for your input everyone, it has been invaluable in making my choice of Springfield over Kimber. i will keep you updated on my progress after I buy it. Can anyone recomend Mags to me? I have heard of some Chip McCormick 8 rounders that fit flush like factory mags, I dunno what do you guys think?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just bought an 8 round Chip McComick Shooting Star mag to try. It fits flush (w/o base pad, of course) and functions perfectly in my Champion.

[This message has been edited by SAChamp (edited 12-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I bought a SS Champion back in Jan 96 before the "Loaded" pistols came on to market.

So far it's had over 10k thru it. The factory barrel's locking lugs gave up and began to sheer away at about 6k. Mods to it include Ed Brown drop in barrel, S&A Beavertail with bump pad, Ed Brown extended narrow thumb safety, flat MSH and recoil spring converted to standard 1911 config.

When new it shot about 8" low at 25 yards. I filed the site down until it shot dead on at 25. Currently it likes 230 Cor-Bon, and 200 Gr SWC over 5.5 gr 231.

While it's been more than a serviceable weapon, I truly wish I would opted for a full size 1911 instead. The extra inch isn't a factor in an IWB, actually better since in rides lower down the leg, giving it more stability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts