1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Yes. Simple reason is that it makes the gun fit me better, points more naturally. The Wilson VGrip is another good option.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My doublestack P14 even has an arched MSH, but, if I close my eyes and hold the pistol up in a blind sighting presentation, and then open my eyes, the sights are lined up perfectly, which tells me it fits my hand well for some odd reason.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
I always have preferred the A1 housing, but recently picked up a Taurus with the straight housing - I must say after handling it a lot over the last few weeks, the A1s are now feeling a little 'humpbacked'! I guess it's all in what you get used to. Those will not be changed, however, since they're too collectible to shoot in the first place. One is a WWII A1 and the others are Colt Government Models.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I started shooting 1911’s when almost all of them came from the factory with the arched MSH and I’ve always thought it felt by far the best in my hand (large hand, the “arch” fits that area of my palm perfectly) and I also like the looks of the arched.

Recently, I picked up two new 1911’s that came with a flat MSH with a magwell speed-chute already blended… I decided not to be hard headed and give the flat MSH a serious try again and I shot several local matches with both the 9mm & .45ACP 1911 with the flat MSH in place.

I just couldn’t get comfortable with the feel and I noticed that all of my shooting was hitting low… when I switched back to the arched MSH, it felt right and the arch palm area raised the front sight the right amount for me when shooting quickly in matches.

Last weekend, I installed arched MSH’s on my two new 1911’s and threw the flat’s in my spare parts box.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,332 Posts
Arched housing fits my hand better than flat. Of course, the reason that the arched housing was adopted in the first place is that it fit more and better, if not "more better", than the flat. I'd like to see some speculation on why the flat housing ever made a comback? I've postulated on this forum, a few times, that the reason for the flat resurgence was its presence on the Gold Cup when Colt's other guns all had arched housings; if the top of the line model has the flat housing, it must be somehow better. So, if you want your gun to appear to be top of the line, it should have a flat housing, adjustable sights, etc., even if that's not the optimum set-up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Years and years I've tried to decide this very question and still can't. I like them both for various reasons and as I own a few of each its still fun to shoot both. I don't know if I'm lucky or just odd. I'm the same way with grips, change them like hub-caps, back and forth !

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Arched housing fits my hand better than flat. Of course, the reason that the arched housing was adopted in the first place is that it fit more and better, if not "more better", than the flat. I'd like to see some speculation on why the flat housing ever made a comback? I've postulated on this forum, a few times, that the reason for the flat resurgence was its presence on the Gold Cup when Colt's other guns all had arched housings; if the top of the line model has the flat housing, it must be somehow better. So, if you want your gun to appear to be top of the line, it should have a flat housing, adjustable sights, etc., even if that's not the optimum set-up.
I've read that some people have problems getting the grip safety to fully engage when using the high hold (thumb over the thumb safety) on an arched MSH pistol. Maybe so. For me, the arched MSH presses my hand more into the grip safety, but I suppose for others it could do the opposite.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've read that some people have problems getting the grip safety to fully engage when using the high hold (thumb over the thumb safety) on an arched MSH pistol. Maybe so. For me, the arched MSH presses my hand more into the grip safety, but I suppose for others it could do the opposite.
Hit the nail on the head for me with the grip safety comment.

I've always preferred as high a grip on the gun allowing the barrel to sit as low as possible to my forearm. The arched MSH does it better than any other option I've found. If issues develop with deactivating the grip safety, buy one with a swell or swap back to a flat MSH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts