1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about the Chip Mcormick rear site that they are marketing. It is supposed to fit the standerd rear dovetail of most 1911 pistols. It looks alot like a Novac type site. Anyone out there using one? Also exactly how did you install it? Thanks for any info.

------------------
He who assails us does so without impunity.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just put one in my CD two weeks ago. Really easy to do:

1. knock out the old rear sight blade right to left using a hammer and punch
The McCormick sight is comprised of three pieces. The sight itself, the base which slides into the dovetail cut, and the screw that holds these two pieces together

2. Add a drop of lube to the dovetail and drive the sight base into the dovetail left to right using a hammer and punch.

3. After centering the base, slip the rear sight on the base.

4. Install and tighten the screw.

The McCormick sight matches perfectly with the original CD front sight on my FS. A drop of Locktite on the screw may not be a bad idea in case it would come loose during firing.

A bench vise would be helpful to hold the slide during the process. Since I don't have one, a friend held it while I hammered. Glad I didn't whack his hand!

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
233 Posts
gunny thats the way i did it too. locktite is a MUST USE. it comes with a extra screw,i didnt use lock tite the first time around.lol
anyway they are decent site's to have on a 1911,custom looking and work great. I havem on my CD picture that is posted here. also the froint sites are perfect. i drilled a small indent on the froint sight and added a little dot of paint into it.it improved quicker target lining-up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
gunny-----there is screw on my new daly rear sight--does that lock it down and have to be loosened to adjust? it was 59 yrs ago i had 1911 (in the good war) and then only for a few months--hard to recall everything now--finally i got my own and i think the daly is 'fantastic' for the price

·
Registered
287 Posts
cmomm,
It sounds as if you purchased one of the new enhanced models. Nice buy! I believe you could loosen the screw in the rear sight in order to drift it right or left. I am by no means an expert, so I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong!!

Which model did you buy? I have one of the "pre-enhanced" FS Charles Daly. I and many others on this fourm absolutely love them.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cmomm,

If your rear sight has a screw in top, it sounds like you have an EFS. My EFS came with a low-mount rear sight which kinda looks like the Novak sights. I think the CMC sights were made to fit the FS blade type sights (which looks similar as the sights you carried in WW2) and seems to have a different dovetail than the newer low-mount sights. I may be wrong though. I'll try to compare my EFS with a friend's FS model and find out for sure.

BTW, if you indeed have the newer low-mount sights, you will need an allenwrench to take it off. On my EFS I use the same allen wrench size that I use on my adjustable trigger screw to loosen the rear sight.

[This message has been edited by malmon (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thought I would update everyone. I bought the sight at a local gunshow and had it installed. The thing went on pretty easy. The only problem was the sight base was kinda soft and got somewaht deformed when the smith put it on. Once the base was in place the site screwed right on and looks pretty good. The sight was dead on with the factory front site at the range. Note use lictite to secure the site screw it will work loose with shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts