1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has reloaded using the Hornady FTX bullets (Same as in the LEVERevloution series)

I know they are out in 44 Mag and 45 and they are supposed to be releasing in 357 Magnum soon.

I was wondering if there was anything special that needed to be done to the reloader since these are pointed bullets, more like rifle bullets tha handgun bullets.???

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has reloaded using the Hornady FTX bullets (Same as in the LEVERevloution series)

I know they are out in 44 Mag and 45 and they are supposed to be releasing in 357 Magnum soon.

I was wondering if there was anything special that needed to be done to the reloader since these are pointed bullets, more like rifle bullets tha handgun bullets.???

I am reloading the 200gr and 250gr FTX .45 cal bullets for my Bushmaster .450

I am using .450 bushmaster Hornady New Dimension dies and noticed it came with two "seating" plugs. One for pointed/rounded tips and the other for flat bullets. The pointed seater allows the seater to press on the copper portion of the FTX bullets while still clearing the polymer tip. I'd say you'll need to find the right seating plug to seat these bullets if you don't want to mess up the polymer tip and/or want consistent COALs when done.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I am reloading the 200gr and 250gr FTX .45 cal bullets for my Bushmaster .450

I am using .450 bushmaster Hornady New Dimension dies and noticed it came with two "seating" plugs. One for pointed/rounded tips and the other for flat bullets. The pointed seater allows the seater to press on the copper portion of the FTX bullets while still clearing the polymer tip. I'd say you'll need to find the right seating plug to seat these bullets if you don't want to mess up the polymer tip and/or want consistent COALs when done.
nordic-if you dont mind what load are you using? i have a new 450 and a case of ammo,once i shoot it up i'll need to load some.i was thinking of using lil gun and the hornaday data i got off the net
thanks
pete

·
Registered
812 Posts
nordic-if you dont mind what load are you using? i have a new 450 and a case of ammo,once i shoot it up i'll need to load some.i was thinking of using lil gun and the hornaday data i got off the net
thanks
pete
For the 200gr FTX, I'm using 46.2gr of LilGun and for the 250gr FTX I'm using near max (Hornady data) of 37.4gr of LilGun

If you're a 450B owner, check out
http://450bushmaster.net/

There's also a 450B facebook group.

I've heard that for lighter bullets (than the factory 250gr) an alternate powder to use would be 2400. I have 3 one pound cans of LilGun and a 4 pound jug... I'll be using LilGun for awhile until a consistant load is developed for lighter bullets and 2400. My standard bullets for plinking purposes is the 240gr XTP-MAG... they're a tad cheaper to shoot than the FTXs.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Nordic- at 46grs, 7lbs won't last too long. :biglaugh: I know, I load for AR's and even at 26-27 grs. 8lbs doesn't last too long. Pistol loading spoils you.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Nordic- at 46grs, 7lbs won't last too long. :biglaugh: I know, I load for AR's and even at 26-27 grs. 8lbs doesn't last too long. Pistol loading spoils you.
LOL... I know. I'm used to 4.9 grains of Bullseye for my .45 plinking/target loads :biglaugh:

Good thing I only bought 300 factory rounds. I set back 200 after shooting the first 100 and am only reloading those 100 cases (usually 20 at a time). I just wanted to see what kinda performance I could get from rolling my own... pretty hard to beat the performance/accuracy of the factory fodder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts