1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
my now deceased father in law, was a BAR gunner in the 32nd Infantry Div when they and the Aussie's took back Buna from the Japanese. Awful, terrible battle. He told me he gave up the BAR for a Garand because he just couldn't keep it shooting in the muck and mud of the jungle. NV

Reactions: joepilot

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hal, as a Dr. you'll appreciate this. Great firsthand accounts of the disease and other nightmares at Buna:

Reactions: obparham

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Outstanding!!!!! Congrats.

Coincidently, Kirby's rubber BAR and uniform just sold at auction this past week!!! (Well, it's actually 'resin', but rubber sounds so much better!! 😁)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The way Jack Hogan's character "Kirby" acted in Combat, he was about READY for a "rubber gun", if y'know what I mean!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
So now I can emulate Kirby!

Traded into this Ohio Ordnance Works M1918A3 semi-auto BAR. View attachment 619210
View attachment 619211
You'll love it. Until you have to clean it. I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to get the damn recoil spring back in. And be careful of those take down pins, easy to scratch the receiver turning them down.

The bi-pod legs tend to drop down during firing, if you set them in the up position. I looped a cradle over the top of the barrel that keeps them up.

Very soft shooting and 100% reliable.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Use to watch that show back in the day with my Dad on the old B&W TV. He landed DDay On Utah Beach. The show still comes on on Saturday night ota with Rat Patrol following and Twelve OClock High after that.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
So now I can emulate Kirby!

Traded into this Ohio Ordnance Works M1918A3 semi-auto BAR. View attachment 619210
View attachment 619211
Just a bit of completely useless trivia...

JMB was a HUGE fan of John Pedersen; went so far as to call him the greatest living arms inventor. (which I'm sure Pedersen immediately put on his resume). Anyhow, he poached an idea in the BAR from Pedersen. The firing mechanism is taken from the Remington Model 10 shotgun; designed by John Pedersen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts