1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a black stainless px9154l as my first 1911 two or three months ago and it's been great so far except a bit of the the black finish has been gradually flaking off the upper right side of the slide just behind the ejection port.

Did someone not prep it correctly at the factory or something? The rest of the finish looks perfect and it's just that spot that's developed the problem. It's not from holster use either.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
not yet but my black is showning some use, that looks to me like something got under the paint when the gun was finshed. Id be sending it in. good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
This is why I try to warn people away from the Black Stainless. I've seen a lot of them, completely new and unused, which have shown the finish apparently flaking or peeling away, usually in the slide serrations. As I understand it, the black areas on your stainless gun are finished in Armory Kote. On the carbon steel guns, the Armory Kote is applied overtop a parkerized finish, which helps adhesion. Since the stainless steel can't be parkerized, I imagine that the lack of that adhesion-enhancing preparation would be the culprit on the Black Stainless guns.

·
Registered
77 Posts
wrffr said:
I picked up a black stainless px9154l as my first 1911 two or three months ago and it's been great so far except a bit of the the black finish has been gradually flaking off the upper right side of the slide just behind the ejection port.

Did someone not prep it correctly at the factory or something? The rest of the finish looks perfect and it's just that spot that's developed the problem. It's not from holster use either.

My Loaded Custom with the Parkerized finish is showing signs of wear in the exact same place. The gun is new and it's shot outside in matches (the cases aren't bouncing back off the walls like it would at a gun range). Kinda weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts