1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
..."leading to a jammed case which adversely affects accuracy".. That has to be the best alibi I've ever heard.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is intriguing. I have been planning on trying their hd extractor. What is the beefy portion of the rear of the hd extractor supposed to do? I noticed this one has a more traditional tail, what would the tradeoff be?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read all that I can find by EGW on the hd extractor. Honestly, I con't figure out why the back half of the shaft should be full diameter, as opposed to being stepped-down like all the others. It seems that there should be more "spring" to the extractor for it to do it's job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just broke the tip off my Les Baer extractor. Saw the EGW. Looks interesting. Wilson has one that appears more conventional. Any other ideas out there??? Call Les up and have him send me one? Ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I tried one :)

Hi All

Thank you for asking!

We have 2 swiss screw machines we make our extractors in.
Based on the extractor we designed for the Sig GSR project we introduced the HD extractor and it has worked very well.
The Hook is undercut 3 degrees to get a good bite into the rim.
The corner has a radius that is clean to avoid the usual stress riser of a square corner " Please break here"

The Practical came about, we just looked at the cycle time to make the HD extractor and aXed ourselves, Hay, what if we made the relief round to save time = saves money. We did some Calculations on the diameter of the shaft and how much force to bend the heat treated part. Very fancy set up involved a Very large Fish scale and some good old fashion sweat.

So we knocked off some time and pass it onto The GOOD peeps that we are fortunate to have buy our stuff. Same Geometry, same Material, Same heat treat.

I Saw this style a Long time ago, unsure if it was Detonics or AMT?
but I saved it and we got around to The Practical extractor and that is the rest of the story.

The slot for the FP stop, the Lenght etc are all carried over from the HD extractor.

Best regards,
Thank you for the work!
geo

EGW since 1991

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for the info, George! I think I understand and like the changes you have made to the hook geometry. I have two questions about the extractor shaft shape:

1. The practical extractor appears to have a round cross-sectional neck rather than the traditional rectangular shape. Why this change?

2. Your HD extractor has a very thick shaft between the midpoint and the FPS. Is there an advantage to this? The practical extractor does not have this. Would I be making a trade-off in extractor quality to buy the less expensive of the two?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just re-read your post, and I think this answers question #1. By "relief", do you mean the extractor shaft? It is easier/cheaper to make the shaft round vs. rectangular?

Hi All

The Practical came about, we just looked at the cycle time to make the HD extractor and aXed ourselves, Hay, what if we made the relief round to save time = saves money. We did some Calculations on the diameter of the shaft and how much force to bend the heat treated part. Very fancy set up involved a Very large Fish scale and some good old fashion sweat.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have just recently used on of these in my AMT hardballer. The old extractor was too long and weak. I like everything about it. First it cured all of my extraction and feed problems. It has several features that I really like. Besides being well machined and not a cast part it has a little wider hook which allows for more of a feed bevel while still having plenty to hold onto the case. Most importantly for me and my oddball AMT is that the FPS slot is milled undersize (at least it was for an EGW FPS) so you can finish it yourself. You can move the extractor forward or backward depending on where you widen the FPS slot. This adds a whole other tunability parameter. I don’t consider this a drop in part although it may be in other pistols. You want to finish the hook and adjust the extension, and tension, like is described in other forum topics, and you may need to widen the FPS slot depending on your FPS. I have about 300 rounds through it since install and it is the best bucks I have spent.

·
Registered
950 Posts
“Honestly, I con't figure out why the back half of the shaft should be full diameter, as opposed to being stepped-down like all the others. It seems that there should be more "spring" to the extractor for it to do it's job.”

I am starting to think this whole extractor thing is a big hoax. If you really look at an extractor it essentially is a spring that contains two parts. Part one is forward of the middle bump, part two is behind the middle bump. When the extractor is in the tunnel the middle bump rides on the back wall of the tunnel. This means that only the front part of the extractor really acts like a spring. If this is true then a whole industry built around extractor tuner jigs have essentially been built on a fantasy. The only thing that would be important is the “springiness” of the front portion and all these jigs wouldn’t be able to truly “tune” only the front of the extractor. Maybe EGW is just being braver and saying the king has no clothes with this extractor.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
We have an Extensive collection of broken parts.
It guides us as to what goes wrong and what we can do to improve our parts.

Series 80 cut extractors in my collection have failed through the ser 80 cut out.
Like the poster, the front portion at least moves more than the rest of the extractor so why not make the front movable and the back solid.

It is stout enough to make it harder to tune the extractor. Experienced Gunsmith's will tell you that if your extractor is easy to tension it will just as easily lose tension.

The Round Shaft practical extractor is round front and back which is super easy in a swiss screw machine. Milling the front section square takes more time than turning it round.

Our hook is a little taller to get more bite on the case and allow a little more tuning of the part.

best regards,
geo

EGW inc.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
EGW Extractor

Mr. Warner:

Just to be clear - are you using the HD extractor, or the one that I started this thread linked to ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi George,

Can you tell me which one would would be better if cost was not an issue? I'm looking for one that is most durable/reliable for a 70 series 45acp.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts