1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
I'm sure many still do, but it's much like using a '68 Mustang GT/California Special for everyday commuting. It can do the job, but you're taking a real gamble using an increasingly rare and irreplaceable (read: expensive) item in everyday rough service. Not only will you increase finish wear and tear, but if the gun is dropped, lost, or confiscated you've lost a really nice possession that was increasing in value daily.

IMHO you should save the nice GI and pre-war commercial guns for prosterity, and use the ugly new crap (Kimbers, Springfields, etc) for carry whenever possible. :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have when hiking in the mountains, but for the burbs have been carrying a 357 scandium for the last year w/ laser grips. At 12 ozs with a 357 punch it makes for a nice package.
Cheers
Ty

·
Registered
115 Posts
Carrying G.I. .45's

I agree with DSK re carrying original, collectable .45's. However I see nothing wrtong with carrying a "shooter" grade .45. I keep two 'mixmasters" for just that purpose as well as for plinking.. I will admit that the last time I carried a .45 "on the job" the piece was the only one I owned at the time. A Colt commercial/military with original finish. I have since retired that one to my safe deposit box.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Many of the people on this forum carry daily.

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
misteraddy, I assume you're just joking. Because if you're trolling I'll gladly show you the door. If you think civilians have no justification to be legally carrying then you're with the wrong crowd.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mainly for three reasons-

1) We have a family real estate business and at times I tend to play Mr. Transport.

2) We spend a lot of time in the cascades camping and dirt biking, big animals and dog packs are not uncommon.

3) I am an American it’s my right and I have a CCL.

Cheers,
Ty

·
Registered
414 Posts
Re: "ego thing"

I tend to get egotistical when comes to being safe and staying alive.
And back to the original question,I have carried one of my GI pistols before,but now carry my old ' 51 Colt Government.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I carry whenever I can, that is where I am licensed to do so, for two reasons.

1) Tragedy, by its very nature, is unpredictable.

2) The only people present at 99.9%+ of all violent crimes are the victim and the perpetrator.

For those few who don't know, the following site is one of the best CCW sites on the web.

http://www.packing.org

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
dsk said:

IMHO you should save the nice GI and pre-war commercial guns for prosterity, and use the ugly new crap (Kimbers, Springfields, etc) for carry whenever possible. :)
amazing to hear that kind of talk from the admin...i thought u guys were supposed to be above the name calling and brand bashing...guess i was wrong.:mummy: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I personally dont carry since i cant legally (damn NJ laws). But a close friend of mine carries a rebarreled WW2 1911 as her daily carry gun *when not in school*.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BillD said:
Many of the people on this forum carry daily.
That is true, but how many in this group carry a GI gun?

Like I said, I carry mine (shooter grade) because it's the only real handgun I own (the .38 just doesn't cut it for me!!), just like I carried my CQB when I had it.

It makes the biggest hole that is resasonable (can't see carrying a Desert Eagle, or AMT AutoMag!!).

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
i thought u guys were supposed to be above the name calling and brand bashing...
You apparently ignored the smiley face inserted next to the "brand bashing" comment. And calling all new pistols junk compared to the masterpieces of old is a matter of one's opinion. There is a huge difference between that and constantly berating a specific brand in attempt to turn away potential new customers.

·
Administrator
10,927 Posts
I have a Rem-Rand that has been "upgraded." I don't know what it was like before it was smiithed. In any case, it now has no collector value, but it is a perfectly reasonable carry piece.

·
Registered
36 Posts
livin' in da hood?

quick poll - how many members pack daily in relation to work?

how many pack just for the fun?

how many pack for the safety?

i tried packing but it felt like i was trying to overcompensate for something if you know what i mean:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
what right do you have to question my rghts?

This response was to a post that misteraddy has since removed, but my message remains......so if it appears out of context thats why.
-------------------------------

Crime does not discriminate. Upper and lower class neighborhoods get hit with crime. Hand to hand or weapon based training is always recommended. Once in the 80s I turned back 4 drunks just by having my gun present. With criminals better armed then ever I really look forward to taking a knife to a gunfight, not.

Feel free to waive your rights, but by all means don’t question mine or anyone else that chooses to exercise their right to carry a firearm in protection of themselves or loved ones.

Regards,
Ty

·
Registered
268 Posts
I carry everyday at work and even when shopping.

I carry a newer "plastic" gun for my safety and of my loved ones that's all.

I have never heard of packing just for fun unless you are talking about backpacking. (or packing for the range:D )

I have a "shooter" 1911A1 Remington Rand but find it a little too heavy to carry everyday.

Just my .02

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
Re: livin' in da hood?

misteraddy said:
i tried packing but it felt like i was trying to overcompensate for something if you know what i mean:biglaugh:
Obvious trolling. Thread closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.