1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have apx. 800 rounds of 45 brass that I was given. Its our old military brass, apx 20+ yrs old and has been sitting in a brown paper bag for all this time.Never was cleaned. I ran all of it through my turbo twin about 21/2 hrs each load. it cleaned it up pretty well but still have some stains left on most of it. I am wondering if the polish you see advertised by Cabelas,Midway etc. would finish it off if it were added to the media. If so Id buy some and run it all through again. Does anyone use polish when tumbling? Thanks Powderhound( NRA Life)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I use just a pinch of dry polish in with my walnut shell medium right now. I've got some dry polishing medium - it appears to be walnut shells thoroughly impregnated with jeweler's rouge - that I plan to use when I need to really spiff up my cases. I believe I got it at a hobby shop, but I can't recall for sure.

Brass cases sometimes get some stains on them that apparently are permanent.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use the Dillon liquid media additive.

I like my brass to really shine; please don't ask me why -- I can't logically justify much of my weirdness when it comes to reloading...

I use the large (noisy) Dillon tumbler (bought it used, cheap) which holds 1,300 .45-ACP at a time.

When I start out with new un-treated walnut, I add about 2-tablespoons to the media. Then each time I run 500 or more cases in the tumbler, I will add an addtional 2-teaspoons of the additive. This way, an $8.00 bottle of additive lasts a long time. (When I estimate the amount added and just 'pour it in directly from the bottle, I use way too much of the additive).

I does make the brass shiney.

Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, & others make additives also -- my local dealer carries only the Dillon, so that's what I've used. --CC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, guess I'll try and find some tomorrow at the gun show. Thanks again
Powderhound ( NRA Life)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have used Midway polish and also use Turtle Wax. I think that you may need to let the tumbler run longer. I almost always let mine go overnite.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi I had been using 2001 car polish with good results for a few years. Just add a 2 or 3 capfulls to the cob media and in a few hrs you get some pretty brass. Just watch using polishs with ammonia because ammonia isnt any good to brass. racer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had been using 2001 car polish with good results for a few years. Just add a 2 or 3 capfulls to the cob media and in a few hrs you get some pretty brass. Just watch using polishs with ammonia because ammonia isnt any good to brass. racer

Great tip. Have you put a pencil to the cost savings between 2001 and regular media polish?

Dennis C..

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Originally posted by racer:
Hi I had been using 2001 car polish with good results for a few years.
Second the use of car polish. The Dollar General stores carry their brand of car polish for $2.00 a pint. It is the same stuff as Dillon's polish except its not blue. Comes out to $2 a pint vs $8 a 1/2 pint.

------------------
NOT Rose Bowl Bound
www.afn.org/~guns

·
Registered
721 Posts
Had the same problem with some WCC-80 brass which had also been stored in paper bags. After 3 hours in my Dillon CV-2001 with Dillon Rapid Polish they looked pretty good but still had discoloration (water spots). Tried some Brasso on a couple just to see what happened, and they cleaned-up great. A friend uses Flitz in the tumbler, and it does work well but is VERY costly. (Note Brasso is not an option because it contains ammonia). Just my $.02 worth for today. Semper Fidelis, MAG-63

·
Registered
861 Posts
I use the Midway polish with corn cob, and it works well. Cases that are heavily stained (dark) usually do not polish back to the shiny brass color. I use the dark ones anyway, no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ditto for me with the midway polish and the corn cob. I also second the overnight running of the tumbler. The brass comes out nice and clear, even the insides.

·
Registered
100 Posts
coppedl I am sorry I never did the math but in seeing the price on the polishs from the distributers I decided to try the 2001 car polish. Had it in the garage anyway and after reading the contents tried and liked it.Works for me. racer

·
Registered
688 Posts
For you guys using Turtle Wax, 2001, etc., try Meguiar's or Mother's (or any other brand) of pre-cleaner. It has the polish without the wax.

Eddie

·
Registered
724 Posts
Dillon's in the corncob works for me also.

I would not recommend overnight polishing if using a vibrating cleaner - a local shooter's Midway caught fire and caused a pretty nasty fire. Also, vibrating for more than 5 hours or so seems to scratch the cases.

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shootist87122

The Midway 1292 had a problem with catching fire, so much that Midway was offering replacement motors. All you had to do was send them in. IIRC they paid shipping both ways.

The Dillon can be run indefinately from my personal experience. When the Dillon gets too hot it shuts itself off and then restarts when it cools off.

I heard of a commercial pilot who left his Dillion on for three months, while overseas. He came back and the motor had finally burned up, plus the .223 cases he put in it closely resembled .380.
Dillon promptly replaced the motor!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts