1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any fellow shooters out there use recoil reducers of any sort (i.e., Harrts, Springco, Fire Dragon)? If so, what's been your expereience...good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I briefly tried a Sprinco. I wasn't impressed. Not sure if it actually reduced the recoil or not but it changed the way the cycle felt which I didn't like. I let a friend try it in his 10mm and he loved it and bought it from me.

I guess it depends on the individual.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
What kind of 1911 are you shooting? I've fired a Star PD for years, basically a Colt Officer's sized gun with an alloy frame and steel slide, and always found it comfortable to shoot if gripped properly. If you're firing a full-sized 1911, there's no way you should need recoil reducers. Very small women regularly compete with full-sized guns without problems. I'm surprised you feel you need recoil reducers.

One thing I learned years ago from a buddy of mine is that most people who have trouble with flinching do so because of noise, not recoil. He had me try using squishy foam or old-style rubber ear plugs AND the regular headphone earmuff-type protectors and damned if I didn't stop flinching.

Why not try that before you try putting recoil reducers on your pistol and see if that helps. Recoil doesn't really physically hurt (well, in some shotguns I've thought it did after a while, but not in a 1911), any flinching from recoil, as opposed to the sharp noise, is likely more mental than a physical reaction. I sometimes have my buddies load my magazine and somewhere in the stack, they insert a "snap cap", but I don't know where. Sometimes they don't put one in. The point is, I never know if I'm going to get a live round or a dud. This helps me identify flinching immediately and correct it.

If you really do find the recoil of a 1911 to be physically punishing (and you very well may, even though most folks dont', I'm not saying it can't happen), I'd consider switching to a 9mm. Blasphemy, I know, but if you are shooting for fun, it ought to be fun, and if you are shooting for self-defense, you're better off with a 1911 you are COMFORTABLE WITH, but if you are not comfortable with it, you are going to be better off with a 9mm YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. So the heck with all the ballistics arguments. Carry and shoot something that is effective for you.

Cheers,

JPC

[This message has been edited by JohnCollins (edited 10-20-2001).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put a Harrts in my Government model mostly out of curosity. It does reduce recoil, but if I couldn't use it, It wouldn't be a big deal. A 39 oz 1911 really doesn't have that much recoil. It would probably help the Lwt Commander or Officers model more.

------------------
War,war is still the cry, "War even to the knife!"
Byron

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bully for johncollins for saying that! Everyone wants to know how to be more accurate. Being comfortable with what you are shooting is the best way to improve accuracy. I have'nt really noticed much difference in the recoils between 45s and 9mms, but then the 45 recoil doesn't bother me. Years of delivering furniture and 240 lbs may have something to do with that. The bottom line is that if you aren't comfortable with what you are shooting, you either won't practice, or you won't get the benefit for practicing right.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Veritas -

I have a Fire Dragon recoil reducing system in my Officers Model and definitely feel a difference. Felt recoil seems to be reduced and it functions better than the original system that came with the gun.

JMHO,
MadDog

·
Registered
697 Posts
Where can I find info about Fire Dragon? Web search turned up zilch.

Mikey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for replies.

For the record I just want to mention that I do feel comfortable with the recoil from my firearm. I was mainly interested in a reducer because I'm an avid IPSC shooter looking for ways to lessen split times between follow-up shots. Recently Rob Leatham started using the Sprinco Reducer for competition matches. Now I wasn't sure if he made the switch for endorsement or practical reasons, thus I wanted to hear opinions from fellow shooters before I made any rash purchases.

Steelharp in reading, here's some links to help you out on the Fire Dragon and other reducers:
http://www.norecoil.com/ http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html http://www.harrtsrecoil.com/

·
Registered
697 Posts
Veritas, thanks. Appreciate the links.

Mikey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts